Ducati Sporting Club UK
Race
MotoGP / WSB / BSB / Local racing.
*** WARNING*** May contain race results!!

Old 18-Apr-2004, 21:00
500SD

Mood: Happy again with Numptystrada
I agree entirely. What I am saying is that in the end at first the enthusiast suffers because the pleasure of seeing 2 or more guys fight it out on equal terms has gone and then the sport suffers due to the lack of interst. This is why Bernie Ecclestone is so keen to see more competition in F1
Old 18-Apr-2004, 23:48
Mille

Mood: Rossi-tastico!
Rocker, you first post you said that the rules differ according to who you are...what a load of tosh.
You also said that its going to be another Rossi benefit year, what a load of cr*p! He deserved all those results coz he's the best man out there, no 'benefit' is just handed to him on a plate - he works hard for it.
Did you actually watch the race, Rossi rode the socks of that Yamaha...the Honda deffo has more power on the straights, you could tell from that from the overhead camera shots, but his still beat Biaggi....and Sete.....just look at the way he wrestled that bike round some of those corners!
This is not going to be a walkover like it would be if he was still on the Honda....
It all just proves that its the man and not the bike....
Its gonnna be a great motogp season!

Suggest you stick to watching UK Gold me old mate. I think they're going to be running the Dick-Van-Dyke show on there soon.
Old 19-Apr-2004, 00:15
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
I have to agree with Dazza, it was clear from the race that Max with his ultra smooth lines had the better bike and was running more conservative to Rossi. I agree Rossi naturally moves the bike around more than Max, as he did on the Honda, but you could tell that the yam was struggling and Rossi was making it look good. Ultimately it can down the the last series of right handers that Vale had absolutely nailed and Max had no clue. this is where the advantage was gained and where Vale made it stick.

When I first saw that pass I thought oh, hang on ... but looking at it you can actually see that Max was already on a wide line and that it wasn't a real block pass. If there was contact that would be another story ... also, Tamada made contact so it's a different story. Rossi's ride today and performance over the weekend was nothing short of awesome and all credit to him for pulling it off. Lets make no mistake though, if he didn't bring Burgess and his crew with him from Honda, fantastic development rider that he is, it probably wouldn;t have happened, well, at least as quickly anyway ....

I think we'll see (nostradamus hat on here) as the MotoGP season progresses that Honda and Ducati will be up there (WTF happened to Troy?????) and that it will still be a tight season. I don't think that Rossi's superior skill will keep the Yam at the front at every track. Makes for an interesting year.

I agree with what you're saying Rocker about the overtaking etc .. but today was different I felt. MotoGP and WSB was good racing, even the first race was good.

I feel spoiled being able to watch so much live racing ... and am appreciating it.

Just my .2p worth ....

TP
Old 19-Apr-2004, 00:52
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
Respect for all remember guys, whatever the opinions, - and come on nothing better than a good debate about racing.

My 2 peneth, Today’s racing was very different. Tomada was made an example of due to what had happened the week before on a first bend incident, - one of the Kwaker boys had taken out 2 riders including one of his own I think. Tomada had made contact with Sete, and forced him off the track. He also made very stupid comments about the incident whilst still very hyped after the race, and I think this perhaps alone caused the removal of position. He said he knew what he was doing, he knew the risk to himself and Sete, and he would do it again. Might has well have said ban me know Dorna.

Now today’s race was absoloooooooutley superb, - the race distance flew by so quick. Just a shame we could not see more of the racing going on behind, - but what happened today was monumental for the Sport. Rossi rode his nuts off today to keep ahead, he let Biaggi through just to see where he was quick, but then mentally defeated Max by going by him at the end of the race and riding on the very limit. However the season is far from over. i think today we saw the 3 front runners, with Max and Sete. - Honda I think have been caught napping by not having the new frame sooner, - that RCV is still being developed. They did not expect for 1 minute that Rossi and Yamaha would be out first race guns blazing. Honda are now working 24 hours a day, - and yes Biaggi has more than enough ability to win a championship if he has a better bike than Rossi, - which i think even today he had. He is such a perfectionist he needs everything right, where Rossi will ride round problems. They will get that Honda right for him if they think that he can win a championship, - tey will give him parts before Baros if they think his chances are better, - remember the Honda mentality is that it is more about the bike than the rider.
Old 19-Apr-2004, 07:21
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by Dazza
Rocker, you first post you said that the rules differ according to who you are...what a load of tosh.
You also said that its going to be another Rossi benefit year, what a load of cr*p! He deserved all those results coz he's the best man out there, no 'benefit' is just handed to him on a plate - he works hard for it.
Did you actually watch the race, Rossi rode the socks of that Yamaha...the Honda deffo has more power on the straights, you could tell from that from the overhead camera shots, but his still beat Biaggi....and Sete.....just look at the way he wrestled that bike round some of those corners!
This is not going to be a walkover like it would be if he was still on the Honda....
It all just proves that its the man and not the bike....
Its gonnna be a great motogp season!

Suggest you stick to watching UK Gold me old mate. I think they're going to be running the Dick-Van-Dyke show on there soon.
Firstly I will state once again I have the upmost respect for Rossi's talent If you read my previous posts you wi;ll see this.
I still stand by my comments regarding one rule for one one for another.
As for your final comment I prefer to have a straight foreward debate on racing and not sink to the depths of personal sarcasam as this often leads onto personal abuse. as Ian says respect to all I just stated a personal opinion and I am quite prepared to listen to those of others in the true spirit of debate,What I do NOT want is it to develop into an argument
BTW by benifit year I meant one where he wins easily not one where he has any special benefits other than his exterordinary talent
Old 19-Apr-2004, 07:24
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian

- Honda I think have been caught napping by not having the new frame sooner, - that RCV is still being developed. They did not expect for 1 minute that Rossi and Yamaha would be out first race guns blazing. Honda are now working 24 hours a day, - and yes Biaggi has more than enough ability to win a championship if he has a better bike than Rossi, - which i think even today he had. He is such a perfectionist he needs everything right, where Rossi will ride round problems. They will get that Honda right for him if they think that he can win a championship, - tey will give him parts before Baros if they think his chances are better, - remember the Honda mentality is that it is more about the bike than the rider.
Surely Honda had seen Yamahas results in pre season testing and should have been ready for it
Old 19-Apr-2004, 08:24
BSB Star

There seemed some debate in Moto GP that Rossi could only string 20 or so fast laps. Though, i think this was more hype than anything else. Honda was caught with it's pants around it's ankles yesterday big style. I think Honda are missing Mr Rossi, and they have only just realised.
It remains to be seen if Rossi can keep this form through out the year.... and ride at 110% through the year. The safe money has to be on Honda through the year to win, but which rider??? Biaggi as mentioned above needs his bike at 100%, likes of Edwards ,Gib and Rossi ride around problems. I'm not sure what to make of the performance the Repsol Honda's. And as for the Dukes I was amazed at their lack of performance, Bayliss being my main cause of worry, as both Hodgie and Xaus out qualified him, and in the race were ahead of him. Capriex I felt was doing a great job on a bad bike.

Going back to 'that' overtake.... I think it was a fair overtake, they were both running wide, and Rossi ran wide on the exit, with a small hint of a block to stop Biaggi re-overtaking him. I saw yesterday the same over taking in 125, 250 and Chilli in WSB. There was a gap, he took it, he never made contact or caused either to crash. I mean, it's not like these guys make contact ever. Toby Moody was quoting Hodgie on Saturday about him and Xaus racing, and Hodgie was quoted as saying he was used to having his knee slider making contact with Xaus's front wheel more than a few times, let alone the bodywork. Look last year, when Toseland overtook Hodgie, contact is not the word!
In bike racing, there's gonna be contact, it is part of the sport, infact, any form of motor racing, look at BTCC as an example. If someone makes a gap, and your racing them, any racer would dive for that gap. Sometimes it's dangerous, but, hey, ain't that the point?

[Edited on 19-4-2004 by flanker]
Old 19-Apr-2004, 09:18
Mille

Quote:
Originally posted by Rocker
Having just watched the Motogp I can only say that the rules differ according to who you are. When last season Tamada made a similar move to that put on Biaggi by Rossi he was penalised but of course Rossi is allowed to get away with it.
At least now we know that it is going to be yet another Rossi benefit year I can save the price of my ticket to Donnington. What with Motogp WSB F1 & the Premiership all being forgone conclusions every year it makes me yearn for the days when sport was interesting.

Are you saying this year's MotoGP is going to be predictable
Old 19-Apr-2004, 10:37
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
Going off on a tangent a bit, but what a pity Doohan and Rossi's time in GPs didn't overlap. Could have been like Sheene/Roberts - Roberts/Spencer - Spencer/Lawson - Rainey/Schwantz etc.
Old 19-Apr-2004, 14:22
Mille

Mood: Rossi-tastico!
Hey Rocker, this aint an argument, so no hard feelings.
Your very first post came over like you were spitting nails at Rossi, on a bit of a Rossi bash because he won.....you're entitled to your opinon and Im entitled to mine.
The final remark I made about UK Gold had a laughing smiley next to it...meaning it was a joke...
Anyway, i'll be checking out 'ol Dick van Dyke and let you all know if its any good!

But we must all agree that Rossi rode one hell of a race, didnt he?

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit