Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 01-Apr-2005, 11:54
Mille

K-Tech Showa Mods. V\'s Ohlins?

Okay people,
Anyone got any experience of the relative merits of having a set of Showa forks reworked by the guys at K-Tech, who obviously know their stuff, as opposed to splashing (or should that be forking?) out on a set of Ohlins R&T replacements? - Which I've heard benefit from being modded from stock - even more expense!
Old 01-Apr-2005, 12:22
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
No experience personally, but I reckon the K-Tech modded Showa route (with Ohlins internals) would give you just as good as set up as the Ohlins R&T, but for a fraction of the cost.
Old 01-Apr-2005, 12:23
Mille

Mood: Up For It!
Pete,

I had the original Showa Forks on my 748R (mine was bought in 2000 before Ohlins were standard) re worked with Ohlins springs and different oil etc. by JHP (Ducati Coventry), the difference was simply staggering.

I used my bike on the road at the time as well as for trackdays.

Later fitted a set of Ohlins forks and I have to admit to being disappointed initially, personally I didn't find them anything like as good as the original re worked and well set up Showas.

The Ohlins were re valved and this was a vast improvement.

I suppose it really boils down to what you want to spend. Personally, I think if you want a cost effective upgrade that will make a significant difference then re work the Showas. If money is not an issue buy some Ohlins and have them re valved.

My bike was also fitted with an Ohlins rear shock to replace the original Showa item at the same time. This is definately an essential mod.

If you have a Showa rear shock I have an Ohlins rear For Sale.

I would also add that making sure the ride height is set correctly is essential to the overall balance of the bike - JHP did mine.

Hope this helps.
Regards,

[Edited on 1-4-2005 by Garry Smith]
Old 01-Apr-2005, 12:32
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
I think Garry is spot on. Several racers I race with had their Showas modded by K-Tech for around 250-300 quid, I think. The difference is very noticable.

If you want Ohlins, buy them, simple as that. If you want better suspension, get the Showas modded.

Lastly, also as Garry said, don't run the standard Showa shocker. It may be worth upgrading that first before you do the forks. At the back, definitely go with a new unit like Ohlins, WP, or similar.

That Suzook in the pic below has K-Tech modded forks with a WP rear shock. It goes well around corners!

[Edited on 1-4-2005 by Felix]
Old 01-Apr-2005, 12:57
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Much though i like the bling factor of Ohlins, a set of modded Showas set up specifically for you would definately be the best option, unless of course you get the Ohlins and get them modded (vast expense for this option)
Old 01-Apr-2005, 13:30
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
How much better would modded Ohlins be versus modded Showa? Surely not much, if any at all? Yet the Showa set-up would be over £1000 cheaper.

Is the Ohlins bling really worth £1000+????
Old 01-Apr-2005, 13:31
Big Twin

Mood: Not so broke any more !!!!!!!!
K-tech internals in my Showas (after a previous revale by another so called dealer ) & its much better than the originals & better than the first revalve !!

Ohlins R&T might be good but they are still not set up for you !

Personaly speaking a K-tech are the way to go , check out my old post re fork revale

Phone K-tech up & speak to them about your requirements & tell em the DSC sent you ,you will get an honest answer !!!
Old 01-Apr-2005, 13:33
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Maybe not quite as much bling as Ohlins, but you get a nice little K-Tech sticker on the fork leg bottoms. For those in the know, it says it all.
Old 01-Apr-2005, 13:42
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Quote:
Originally posted by Twinfan
How much better would modded Ohlins be versus modded Showa? Surely not much, if any at all? Yet the Showa set-up would be over £1000 cheaper.

Is the Ohlins bling really worth £1000+????

The simple answer is NO.

Even if the bike comes with Ohlins as standard, and especially depending on the age its worth getting the suspension serviced/set up for your individual requirements.

IMHO i'd rather spend money on suspension before money on the engine, but thats from my personal point of view for road riding rather than just track use, but i'm sure a lot of regular track dayers/racers would agree as well.
Old 01-Apr-2005, 13:45
Big Twin

I've got Ohlins springs, and a set of Gold Valves in my Showa's, and had them set up for me.

Awesome feel. Less than £200 all in, had the work done by a local guy who has a few TT replicas and now helps out BSB privateers (Alan Hesselden). He's only round the corner from me, so on hand for advice etc on setup.

I'd be fairly confident in saying that a pair of well setup Showa forks are as good as a well set up pair of Ohlins. It all boils down to the quality of the internals you replace.