Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 10-Dec-2005, 02:50
Mille

Pair of new EBC Pro lites on ebay for 150 buy it now
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brake-disc-Duc...cmd ZViewItem
pedigree items - I think the Moto Rapido boys race with these - at least they recommended them to me a year or two ago
Old 10-Dec-2005, 11:21
Mille

If i were in the market for a pair of new discs. id go for a named brand as most are tested and have proved to be up to the job. These fancy no named discs on ebay are a no no. im sure they sell plenty but not for me i want a well known brand. who can tell you the specifications not a fly by night ebay seller. at the end of the day it is your life you are putting in their hands how does you loved ones go about making a claim against a seller on ebay. think about it. and buy genuine or at least from a reputable company.

To be honest i though the idea was to have as much brake contact as possible between the pads and disc. with the wavy design there is not a lot of contact as so much of the disc is removed to save weight.

Yes i know there are superbikes ect racing with these but im sure they didnt come from ebay.
Old 10-Dec-2005, 19:17
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
Thats a good point beek, but surely new disks are going to keep me alive and upright better than 3mm thick ones ????

does it make a difference if it has a brand name, they all come off a production line somewhere in the world at one stage in their life. if this guy on ebay is offering them at a good price and cutting out the middle men then its got to be worth a shot in my eyes
Old 10-Dec-2005, 22:04
Mille

deej
you already tried to ask the questions to the seller and he didnt know most of them.

Yes im sure new discs of any make are better than the 3mm that you have but. often cheap discs are made cheap inferior metal and wear twice as quick.

id like to see them road tested against the original brembo fitments.

Its not that difficult to make these discs with the right kit eg laser cutters a friend of mine used to have a business making steel bits and bobs and laser cutting is actually quite cheap when you have a lot done at once.

it seems that someone has seen a market for these discs and now they are everywhere.

cheap nearly always mean cheap in every sense of the word
Old 11-Dec-2005, 18:52

or perhaps the inverse.....that new fad / performance offered by one is expensive but made easily and cheap = they make big profits until competition arrives

if we can get real answers with known good materials you will save pretty well.
Old 11-Dec-2005, 19:00
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
i have emailed a few other people who have purchased these disks and everyone has replied with good things to say about them,good quality look good, yes the seller may have been a bit vague to others but he answered my questions quickly and with as much knowledge as what my local dealer would have.

this guys not in it to make 100% profit as he probably doesnt have buisness overheads to compete with, they would probably be £250 in a shop and then people wouldnt think twice about buying them as they are in a shop, would they ???

when i can afford them i'll buy a set and give feedback then

deej

heres some more replies:

Hello Dave,
The centres are black(which suited me)but I'm not sure if it's powder coating or what.It does look durable though.I'm not sure of the material of the actual rotors.I'ts definitely not
cast iron.I'm sure he mentions what they are made of in his listings.Like I mentioned before there are slight imperfections in the finish but I don't think anything too drastic and definitely not noticeable on the bike.
I don't know who makes them but they are produced in China(what isn't)
The service was okay,though not the 48hr delivery he states.A day longer I think! However he does seem to get good feedback for his delivery as he does for the product.
I can't say I found him overly friendly on the phone but I think he was driving at the time.

hi Dave!,My first impression is positive,the finish is ok and they fit
well,i was not sure if i like this "new style" braking disc on a classic
bike like the 748,but they looked great,i have not tried them on the road
yet cause the weather is "****",if you want me to mail you some pictures i
can do it over the weekend,Regards:Jakob Tamburini Krygaard!

Hi, only to glad to say all was good! He immediatly supplied a contact number for me to pay by credit card, they arrived on time as described (48hrs) and were properly packaged! They look good, fitted perfectly. Haven't used them in anger but all is good so far!!! All in all, for £148 TOP buy, TOP ebayer!! Hope it helps, if you do buy, let him know I recommended him!!! I might get a discount next time!! Cheers Paul.

make your own mind up time i think

[Edited on 11-12-2005 by deej]
Old 11-Dec-2005, 19:15

here is what i asked....and doubt will get any answers

many of us and in specific clubs are waiting for specific information that could be gained by you from the manufacturer.

-what is the rotor steel alloy specifically?
-what is the carrier alloy specificallly?
-what is the exact weight of the ducati rotor?
-Are the rotors truely -+full floating or -semi-float?
-what is the ducati rotor thickness?
-Has the Ducati application been tested the bike?
-Who is the manufacturer and where are they manufactured?

honest answers to these questions will bring many sales. let me know.
thanks
Old 11-Dec-2005, 20:36

well here is the Ebay sellers response....the thickness stated is different than what is reported by somebody here in this thread as a note as well.

He didn't really answer much and he further emailed and stated they were manufactured "abroad".

of additional note......FYI he admits that the rotors are semi float and not full floating rotors as his auction suggests they are!

he generically states they have been tested on his bike but does not say what brand or model....when my question to be answered was about Ducati. the weight "is around" WELL weigh one. If they are quality metal they would not need to be 5.5 mm thick...if he is even correcct !

=====================================

"the discs have been tested on a bike of my own and at the factory, the weight is around 1.5kg the discs a semi floating and 5.5mm thick. the discs is high grade a stainless steel and the carrier is high grade alloy, all i can say is read the feed back they are great discs, buy one pair and believe me you will be back for more"
Old 11-Dec-2005, 20:48
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
Do what you like with your own necks but remember you are risking it for £150 the difference.

He obviously hasn't got a clue what he's selling.
Old 13-Dec-2005, 04:59

exactly my point......but interested in finding out my questions still. Whoever takes the chance make sure to post some feedback on weight, thickness, etc......
thanks