Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 01-Sep-2004, 17:15
Big Twin

Regarding the lowside...i think that dukes do crash fairly well, and lowsides are usually just cosmetic damage. If the bikes been fixed via the insurance claim then, as he says it 'should' be OK...but he should also be in posession of all of the receipt/paperwork for this.

If the bike hasn't been ridden for two years then, yes, it does need a service. Even though it has not done the mileage, the belts will need changing as they can become problematic if left unmoved for prolonged periods of time. It would also be worthwhile having it seviced anyhow for other parts such as fuel/air/oil filters, all fluids etc.

Your looking at perhaps £200-£250 for a good (equivalent to a 6k mile) service, obviously depending on were you take it. A point worth rembering when haggling on the price

[Edited on 1-9-2004 by Harv748]
Old 01-Sep-2004, 17:44
Big Twin

The seller has sent me some high res pics, and it does look good, he does have the receipts for the repair. He says he's changed the oil himself loads of times, whether this is a good or bad thing, I dont know.

Nearest Ducati dealer to me in Swansea is in Cardiff, and I dont know if they're any good either...looks like Im gonna have to make some long trips for some decent service!

Do you know anything about the Baines Bora conversion, I was thinking about getting some Termis, but havent decided!
Old 01-Sep-2004, 17:54
Big Twin

Not really...I think its basically the baffles have been removed (whole or partially). You retain the same appearence, but you get a better sound and perhaps a tiny performance gain. Many people have them, I guess it depends on if you like the standard look or not. They are going to get you into less trouble with the Law, but the look and sound of a set of genuine aftermarket pipes is hard to beat!
Old 01-Sep-2004, 17:59
Big Twin

Termis it is then! Nothing beats that rumble!
Being that the mileage is now at 11k, what things am I looking at shelling out for in the near future (bearing in mind that the 12k service was done at 10.5k)?
Old 01-Sep-2004, 18:11
Big Twin

I wouldn't worry too much. If it has had its 12k service then most bits should have been taken care of. For example, at the 12k service they are supposed to replace the fork oil...point being that this is quite an extensive service and covers most things that you would look at in perhaps more detail if it hadn't just been serviced. Who did the service? I would place more faith in a 12k service carried out by someone like techmoto/JHP/Cornerspeed say than a main dealer such as OYB etc.

The main concern I would have would be the rockers. Have they been checked properly (ie the cams have been pulled). If they haven't and you find that they are shot...your looking at several hundred pounds to sort.

Anything else you decide to change/fit after that is pretty much upto you. I did certain things for piece of mind, such as a new chain and sprockets, brake pads to my preference, tyres of my choice etc. But basically you could buy it, and once given a service, ride it for another 12 months without spending a penny on it.

Don't be scared off...they are actually not as bad as the reputation that preceeds them....honest
Old 01-Sep-2004, 18:22
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
I have to confirm what has been said-CAMBELTS-they need changing NOW. 2 years without being ridden, I would want them changing before I gave it any stick. As to the 'high mileage' 11,000 miles, high? not really-my 2001 ST4S has got 21,000 on it and that's not high. Dukes are better being used, hard, than being babied and pootled about, it is a race engine after all.

John
Old 01-Sep-2004, 18:23
Big Twin

Apparently the 12k service was done by Baines at Silverstone (a track day?). Im gonna mail him and ask about the rockers now.

Horror stories about electrical problems and belts breaking have kept me away till now, Ive finally decided Ive got to have one!

All I want to do is slap a set of Termis and some tyres on it, thats as far as my modifying mood will take me for now!
Old 01-Sep-2004, 19:03
Mille
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Enjoying a REAL summer!
Service

Plenty of people swear by Baines, and although I've never used them for a service, they talk a very thorough service and have always supplied parts to me with useful advice.

They're based within the circuit grounds, but it doesn;t mean the bike was tyhere on a track day - and even if it was, that's what Dukes thrive on!

I'm just up the road from Aylesbury, but unfortunately I'm in Birmingham on Saturday - sorry mate or I'd have come along...

Good luck and let us know how the viewing goes!

Giles

[Edited on 1-9-2004 by Clippy]
Old 01-Sep-2004, 19:09
Big Twin

Thanks for the offer Clippy. Its increasingly likely that I'll be popping down on Sunday to look at it now.

The seller emailed me back, and said he thinks that they were checked and were OK. Would Baines have done this as a part of the 12k service anyway?

Im hoping to come back to sunny Swansea with a shiny yellow 996, it'll be one of the very few down these parts!:P
Old 01-Sep-2004, 19:47
Mille

Mood: Built for comfort, not speed
I have used Baines for years and have always been happy with their work. If they say they have done something it will have been done. They found all my US rockers during 12k service