Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 29-Mar-2012, 00:11
500SD
Bikes: Honda CB350 K4, Ducati 749s

Pivot is fine as long as I don't use circlips on the ends. The oem steel swinging arm held the pivot bolt in place with those. Seems the alloy arm is slightly wider. The rear axle looks too long. I'll have a play tomorrow. Thanks for all the comments. Shim of a job so far!!
Old 29-Mar-2012, 00:42
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Simon which Alloy arm did you get, there are three different ones that I know of to fit the 20mm spidle on the back of the engine. I'll rule out it being the latest one, making it either the early one with the adjusters inside the swing arm and the adjusting bolts sticking out of the end plates as they did on the steel swinger or the more common alloy arm found on most 900SS's with the adjuster blocks on the outside pressed up against the adjusting bolts

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 29-Mar-2012, 12:21
500SD

Kev, it's a 750 ss alloy one with more normal style chain adjusters - bolt and lock nut type, not the ones that fall out of the ends! The pivot bolt on my steel ss one had circlips on both ends, but to make this one fit I've taken off the circlips and it's now flush with the swingingarm. Seems ok but not 100% sure. The lower suspension bolt also was different but with a different - slightly longer - bolt it seems ok too. Just left with finding the tq settings for the pivot bolt clamps and making the rear axle fit. Which I don't think it does, maybe too long or needs washers.

Last edited by Spjallen : 29-Mar-2012 at 15:32.
Old 29-Mar-2012, 12:50
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spjallen
The pivot bolt on my steel ss one had circlips on both ends, but to make this one fit I've taken off the circlips and it's now flush with the swingingarm.

Pretty sure that's what I did with mine when I converted it!
http://www.horrible.demon.co.uk/bikes/2006_new.jpg

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 29-Mar-2012, 15:34
500SD

Thanks. Now I know who built this bike, I must have read the story quite a few times before I took the plunge of DD. Great looking bike and brilliant write up.

Swingarm is on now. Found out the pivot bolt clamps tq it's 37 nm. Measured the rear axle it's about 6 mm too long. Are a few washers an acceptable answer to this problem?

Last edited by Spjallen : 29-Mar-2012 at 18:22.