Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 29-Aug-2005, 22:50

Sound advice needed on 996 !!!

Now then everyone new to this BB and from reading through posts you guys on here seem to know what your talking about so i am hoping you can give me some good pointers on my bike (Ducati 996s 2001 Y plate) any common problems i should look out for and general maintenance).
Just finished cleaning the bike tonight and when i had the seat up i noticed the subframe bolts were slightly loose is this a common problem ? and dont suppose anyone knows the correct torque setting for the bolts?
I know the twin lump does rattle most of the bike loose and that you need to keep on top of retightening things is their any other major things that work themselves loose ?
I would really appreciate any feedback as i have had jap bikes up until this and know very little about ducatis.
Thanks Craig......................................uzzle d:
Old 29-Aug-2005, 22:51
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
hello and welcome..

ducati bolts.... made of cheese and will rattle loose at the first opportunity!
Old 29-Aug-2005, 22:51
Ducati in my Blood

might want to get your rockers checked at service btw
Old 29-Aug-2005, 22:52
Mille

Mood: Very sad
Welcome to the madness my friend I'll have a bloody mary.Sorry can't help wuth the question I ride a 888
Old 29-Aug-2005, 22:54
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Craig welcome to the board you'll find so much information here you won't need to go anywhere else.

Personally I've never had subframe bolts go loose, but I've had plenty of others through the years, as you say a big twin does vibrate a lot and sooner or later you'll notice a bolt missing.

As long as you keep on top of servicing and keep cleaning you pride and joy spend that extra 5 mins doing a quick nut and bolt check and you'll be fine..... got any pics of the bike?

Early closing at the bar on a Sunday night, hope you didn't time this post accordingly

I'll have a Corona though pleeeeez
Old 29-Aug-2005, 22:54
888 at Last !!!

I've also lost 1 subframe bolt on my 996S. I can say after 4 years of ownership from new my 996S has been completely reliable.
Old 29-Aug-2005, 23:06

Thanks for the quick reply the bike has covered 4000 miles and had a full main dealer service 600 miles ago, so unless they have been missed on service they have loosened in that period of time ?????
Old 29-Aug-2005, 23:42
Ducati in my Blood

hmmm.. not certain if its something they would check on a service tbh but you never know.
Old 30-Aug-2005, 00:16
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Different bike, but, I've had the bolts that hold the headlight casting to the head stock come loose and I nearly lost a heel guard this weekend through loose bolts.

I've now started to pay a little more attention when cleaning the bike and as suggested I spend 5 mins doing a quick nut and bolt check.

Started to use Loctite anti vibration blue stuff on any bolts I find loose. This is not the full blown thread lock just anti vibration. Works so far.

Mines a Bud ....

[Edited on 29-8-2005 by Carbon749]
Old 30-Aug-2005, 05:22

howdy craig.
generally loctite everything you touch, 2 that get overlooked are:

>the mounting bolts for the side stand - if they work loose the alloy bracket of the side stand will eventually crack down the middle = bike over
>the seat lock mounting bolt is secure otherwise the lock can vibrate out (not that the lock is that safe anyway, just saves the trouble to re-key it)

enjoy!