Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 08-May-2016, 15:05

900SS fork rot - help needed

Help!
Advice needed…
95 900SS
Friday I noticed a small patch of oil under the nearside fork leg….
I knew that the stanchions would need replacing or replating soon and this was making the decision for me ahead of its MOT.
Start looking on the internet for seals, bushes, stanchions etc and think about posting in these forums asking if anyone can recommend on hard chrome platers in the UK and any advice on the necessary rebuild….

Also realise I need someway of supporting the bike while the doing this job so order a front head paddock stand…

Any ways… Looking on ebay I find these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-900...AOSw~gRV3c~ I
sensible..ish price …what can be up with them?

Then I check out the photos and see the corrosion on the outer/upper alloy tubes….
A sense of growing dread and I go back to check mine….nowhere near as bad but unmissable corrosion eating into the alloy tube…

So now a real dilemma.. No point in sorting seals/bushes or stanchions when the uppers also need replacement..

• Has anyone got a set of Showa GD-011 forks for a 95 900SS in good order they would be prepared to sell?
• Anyone with upper tubes they would sell?
• Any suggestions of alternatives, Ducati or otherwise, that would fit with minimal effort? I guess later SS iE are longer and bigger dia so would need new triple clamps and calipers?

Any suggestions at all would be most welcome.
(looks like I need new front discs too…. Its been sat a while as I work away from home - paying for the neglect now…)

My apologies in advance I have posted this on another forum however this one seems more appropriate due to being UK based.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5204.JPG (53.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5207.JPG (59.2 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by rspete : 09-May-2016 at 20:36.
Old 09-May-2016, 13:11
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
I think the fork upper tubes are the same between SS and SSie; I know when we put SSie forks into my old SS yokes there were no changes required.

Also, I know that Andy (Hypermoturd) on here has a load of forks parts for sale including uppers and stanchions, as well as a complete set of forks that should fit as well!

I'll give him a nudge...

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 09-May-2016, 13:57
DSC Club Member
Bikes: Scrambler Desert Sled, Hyper 1100s, 750ssie, ST4S, Multistrada 1000, 900ssie, 750 Sport, 750 Indiana

Have been nudged and have the bits in the photo available. Used but in good condition with no damage etc.

Last edited by antonye : 09-May-2016 at 14:30.
Old 09-May-2016, 20:38

Hi Andy

Thanks for the response.

What are these from as the uppers llok different to the ones on mine which I believe are Showa GD011's.

(I have edited my original post to include a couple of photo's of the damaged forks.)
Old 12-May-2016, 08:49
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Lots for sale in the USA but you will suffer an import duty.

You could change to later forks from another series, but as well as a new triple, you will need a new front wheel and speedo drive & clipons.

There are some half decent 600SS forks (brake hose rub and chrome pitting) on Ebay UK, I think the 900 internals might fit? I'm sure Kev (Skidlids) will know the answer to this one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-600...-/282005826011

OR

There is a UK seller with a brand new stanchion (1 only) here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-OEM-Du...-/401016937083

Good luck
Old 14-May-2016, 22:41
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
note 600SS forks are Marzocchi and have a 40mm diameter slider, they are also non adjustable, but would fit as spindle, caliper and mudguard mounts are the same

Later forks from an injection bike use 65mm caliper mounts, different mudguard mounts and a 25mm diameter spindle, yoke sizes are the same at 50mm top and 54mm bottom

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 16-May-2016, 22:06

Since last we spoke… (I work away from home during the week so nothing gets done then other than surfing the net and trying to find parts....)

Having got the forks off yesterday I had a good look at the alloy corrosion. It looks a lot worse than it appears, which is bloody awful. Scraped off the worst and was down to bare alloy straight away so will give it a good clean off and thorough inspection over next weekend. If this is only surface and nothing appears to be dangerous then I will probably clean up and reuse the uppers.
Depending of course on how confident I am in them…… Even at Stein Dinse prices the rebuild would add up… UK dealer prices are eyewatering…

I have decided that the easiest option probably is to rebuild standard forks.
• Get new uppers (maybe…)
• New bushes and seals
• Get stanchions re- Hard chromed
• New oil
• Easiest
• Dependent on a lot of factors but cost anywhere between £200 -£400 (providing I don’t source parts from Ducati dealer then the upper limit is £1200- £1300)
• Minimal changes to fit (well none I can think of….)

So assuming I am going for standard Showa rebuild is there anything that is recommended I do while they are apart?
• Recommendations on where and what to get in the way of seals
• Bushes – where do you get these from?
• Any suggestions on Springing or re-valving that is beneficial and where to go for parts (this is only really likely to be on if the uppers do not need replacing)
• I guess I’m looking for the Best bang for buck mod that people would recommend short of replacing them with Ohlins…..

Many thanks
Old 17-May-2016, 20:22
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Try Wemoto.com for the fork bushes and seals. They were good when I rebuilt a set a few years back. They should be able to confirm the sizes too.
Spring-wise I went for single-rate and 7.5w oil, but it depends on how you ride.
HTH.
Paul

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer
Old 18-May-2016, 14:15
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

+1 For Wemoto:

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/ducati/900_ss/94-95/
Old 19-May-2016, 19:24
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
I have a set of what I would say are very good condition for their age 900SS forks,On the alloy stanchions there is a small amount of wear from where the brake hoses have rubbed
I will see if I can sort photos on Sunday
These were going to be used for a Desmo Due Class A race bike
But happy to sell

For Spares I also have 90% of another set that has had the outer stanchions polished so much by someone that they no longer get gripped by the yokes, the fork caps are missing from these as they were used for converting another set of forks

£200 the lot plus postage
or can be collected
or if on one of my service routes can be dropped off
or could be collected at Kempton Autojumble on Saturday

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook