Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-May-2004, 18:48
500SD

Mood: Relaxed - don't worry about things you can't change
If you don't fit the rack facing forwards you may well find the bag (especially the 45l) rubbing on the pillion seat and surrounding paintwork......not pleasant !
Old 12-May-2004, 19:08
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
I had the pack facing towards me ( on the pillion) on the Congleton trip 500 miles and didn't rub or give any trouble . I did find some spacer washers when I first took of the horizontal parts of the frame maybe these helped? All in all though a good way of carrying kit (45L) 4D
Old 13-May-2004, 10:26
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Fordie - can you fit the rack so that it faces forward though?

There's no problem fitting the rack itself facing outwards, but if you try to fit it facing forward then it doesn't seat into the brackets properly.

Like this, but with the proper bag rack...

Old 13-May-2004, 11:02
Mille

Mood: .
4D, thanks for the mail last night. You are right, your L-bars are a very different shape than the ones that i have (at the rear peg mounting pt). I mailed Ventura yesterday and here is there response -

""Thanks for your enquiry. The part numbers recommended for your model should be D008/B and PF16/B. This rack may not be reversible and unable to be used facing forwards, however if this is your requirement you could exchange the PF16/B for a PF14/B which has longer legs at the base and would give clearance.

The design has always been to keep the carrier low and in line with the rear seat for all high speed sports bikes, which means the rack can often only be used facing to the rear.

I hope the above helps.""

No, not really..... I have replied again today including pictures so, i'll see what the response is tomorrow.

This is the pic from the ventura web site of how it should be mounted on a 996BIP (no pic for the 748bip). Is this how you use it, or do you mount the rack over the back seat? (same as Antonyes' question!!)

Old 13-May-2004, 12:47
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Here's the pics of my side brackets ... which don't look like anyone elses!!!

http://217.199.188.40/xmb/viewthread...78&pid=6177 2

http://217.199.188.40/xmb/viewthread...78&pid=6176 9

[edit: damn IMG code doesn't work for forum uploads!]

[Edited on 13-5-2004 by antonye]
Old 13-May-2004, 12:57
Mille

I think they look kinda the same as mine. Is your bike the mono? I know that the rack pack part of the assembly is different between the mono and the bip, due to the height of the 'hump' v 'seat'. Going to take some measurements of the L-bar tonight to compare.
Old 13-May-2004, 14:22
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Marky

your brackets will look different to 4D's as it is a completely different kit for the 996 bip to the 748/916 bip (but 4D's pics are a very good guide for me as i need to fit mine, thanks)

If its of any help i've fitted a Ventura to 2 previous bikes and the rack wouldn't fit forward facing on either bike but the bags sat forward where the pillion would sit.

Good luck.
Old 14-May-2004, 10:02
Mille

Here is the latest and last reply from Ventura -

""Hello Mark

Thanks for your reply and my apologies for not being specific in replying to your questions.

The PF16/B rack as specified for your model is not reversible and can only be used facing to the rear, however, the pack can be used in either direction, facing forwards and resting on the pillion seat or to the rear over the carrier. We recommend that when riding solo with one pack that it should be carried facing forward over the pillion seat.

By your photos you have the correct system for your bike and the 748BIP is supposed to be mounted in the same position as the 996BIP on our website.""

So that's the end of that. For the 996BIP and 748BIP the pack can be over the seat or the back of the bike, but the rack can only be out over the back of the bike.

Thanks for your help guys.
Mark