Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-May-2004, 10:05

Hello.....and a question

Hi

Been browsing here for a while and recently purchased a red 748bip. It's a bit of a change from my last bike (R6) but after a couple of months getting used to it I'm lovin' it!!! Looking forward to doing a few track days later on this year and hoping to bump into some of you there.

Quick question: due to a cracked rib the bikes been under wraps for the last 4 weeks completely unridden. When I rode into work this morning it felt really odd. When rolling off the power the engine braking seemed almost juddery like something was catching and was pretty worrying. After a 30 mile journey it was marginally better but I'm wondering what it could be. Clutch perhaps?

I've probably given a really bad description of it but hopefully one of you will be able to identify whats up.

Cheers in advance.
Old 18-May-2004, 10:41

Hmmm, I thought I'd done a crap job of explaining!

I thought brakes to start with and stamped on the back a few times but it didn't seem to make any difference. Plus it's so bad normally that I can't imagine it making much difference. But it is that sort of feeling though....
Old 18-May-2004, 13:58
Big Twin
Bikes: Kawasaki ZX10r D6f, Dawes XC2.4, Planet X Superlight Pro Carbon

Mood: aving a laff
Could be owt.

Have you had a look at the rear swing arm for signs of ali swarf where the cush drive casings have backed out and are eating the eccentric adjuster?

My 996 felt notchy at the and it was these little devils.

If you think its the clutch whip off the cover and use clutch cleaner spray to get rid off any dust that might have accumulated there, worth a try.

Wheres the juddering from?
Front or rear?

More info the better
Old 18-May-2004, 14:33

It feels like the juddering is from the front i.e. engine. I can't see any obvious swarf on the swingarm so I guess that rules that out.

I'll ride it back tonight and in again tomorrow and see if I can give a better description of the problem.

Cheers for the suggestions so far..........
Old 19-May-2004, 10:40

Right, after riding another 60 miles I can give a better description of it. You know the feeling the bike gives if you're braking hard and coming down through the gears and you can feel the back end snaking around a bit as the back wheel skids about? It feels very similar to that but I don't think the wheel is locking (not sure though). It doesn't do it with the clutch in so it's not the brakes binding...

It's bloody annoying and probably a trip to a garage but If you've any ideas I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.
Old 19-May-2004, 11:38
Mille

Mood: Built for comfort, not speed
If you are braking hard, sure your back wheels still on the floor?? Could be locking up with hard downchanges + engine compression

[Edited on 19-5-2004 by ducv2]