Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 10-May-2004, 21:43

Cush drive bushes...

Just gone to give my bike a bit of a clean off and noticed a load of metal filings all over my swingarm. On closer inspection, it appears one of the cush drive bushes has come out and ground away at my swingarm

Not sure how long this has been like this - I suppose I should look at this kinda thing more often. I have attempted to remove the rear wheel but have bent my torque wrench as the nut now appears to be heat welded in place.

Anybody had any experiences of this happening? How much am I looking at to sort it out? Had a look on Ebay but only 1 swingarm for sale and he's got a lot of bad feedback. I use the bike daily so need to get this sorted ASAP.

Any feed back on this (or offers of help ) would be VERY much appreciated!!

I feel like crying
Old 10-May-2004, 22:29

Just found a full rear end - swingarm, sprockets, bushes, shock etc for £200. Is this a good price?

Help - I'm desperate!!!
Old 10-May-2004, 23:14
GTL

Mood: me in a mood? NEVER!
hiya pal. what bike is it? then maybe we could say if the rear end is dear or cheap.
the joys of biking hey!
Old 10-May-2004, 23:31

It's a '99 748 BP on a V plate.

I've come across an arm with only the mounting bushes for 100 and another with sprocket and disc for 50 but bad feedback.

Don't know what to do
Old 11-May-2004, 00:15
GTL

Mood: me in a mood? NEVER!
on ebay nick? you could buy and could be in the same condition although you dont have to use them all i gave £30 for a rear disc and £40 for rear caliper if that helps you and that was from a breakers so if it comes complete you can always get some money back.
Old 11-May-2004, 00:59

Well I've done a bit of a trawl around and looking at the prices of individual components and the hassle of buying individually, 200 may be palettable. If the used one has got shagged bushes, then there is reason for a refund as it is described as good condition.

Now that the bushes have gone once, I'll be more alert to the problem and make a point of replacing them. I'll replace them ASAP so that I know they aren't gonna fail anytime soon. As the bike is at the moment though, it's unrideable. There is no adjuster left and I'm gonna have to split the wheel nut with a chisel to get it off. I've now wrecked a torque wrench and a 3/4" ratchet trying to crack it open! Safe to say - it's ********ed!!
Old 11-May-2004, 14:02
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Have the bushes worn the swingarm? The usual victim is the actual hub assembly. If so, this is a far quicker fix.
Cost wise, I learned this week that the hub alone has been pulled from the Ducati spares list and is now only available as a complete assembly with the axle. Not cheap!!
£200 is a good price for the complete rear end, but it's more than likely you'll just have to replace the hub.
I have cush drives in at £40 a set.
Old 11-May-2004, 15:18
Mille

Mood: Ambivalent
Mr Nick - I had the same problem in France last year, but I only wore away some of the castellations on the hub. The castellations are required for adjusting the chain, so long as you have enough width left to use the 'C' spanner i.e. the castellations are as wide as the 'C' spanner, then don't worry about it.

That was the advice I got from my local Ducati dealer after they inspected it. I only had to replace all the cush drive rubbers & not the hub.
Old 11-May-2004, 15:27
DSC Club Rep
Big Twin
Bikes: 848

Hi Mr Nick -- I had exactly the same thing when coming back through France last year. I had liberally sprayed gold-colored chain wax the day before so thought the loverly sparkly effect on my swing arm was that... until closer inspection showed it to be metal filings from the hub!!!

Had to get towed to a local Ducati dealer in Reims, who despite neither of us speaking each others language, got the hub assembly ordered in and fixed it up in a couple of days. (I wasnt that dissappointed as Reims is a loverly place to to spend a couple of sunny days relaxing!!)

Worked out OK actually, as the AA covered all the labour costs, so I had only to pay for the parts... couple of hundred quid I think.
Old 11-May-2004, 18:03

Unfortunately, the swingarm has been ground down as well. There's only about 2mm to the edge of the pinch bolt. Lucky I spootted it when I did 'cos a few more miles and I think I'd have has a serious lock up!! Absolutely nothing left of the adjuster. And as I said earlier, the heat has caused the wheel nut to weld onto the axle so it looks like I'm gonna have to take drastic action to get the wheel off. Not sure how long it's been like this for it do have done so much grinding. I've taken the plunge now and bought the full rear assembly so at least I'll have a few spares available. Think I'll replace the bushes on this rascal before I use it though - learnt my lesson now - prevention is much better than cure !!