Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-May-2004, 19:13
Big Twin

Mood: Not so broke any more !!!!!!!!
Screen bolts/nuts

Just got my new Corse Screen from Nat & the usual happens most of the Screws have stripped
Whats the best option , was thinking of replacing them with M4 stailness bolts & nuts , rather than paying Ducati money for them to strip again

What you all think !!!!
Old 13-May-2004, 20:35
500SD

Replacing with stainless sounds like a good idea!

Just make sure that you use rubber well nuts (like the OEM ones) or you're liable to crack the screen.

You wont be able to use the OEM rubber well nuts unless you're lucky enough to find someone that can supply you with M4 fine pitch stainless button head cap screws.

Having said that, standard pitch M4 rubber well nuts are easy to get hold of so you shouldn't really have any problems.
Old 13-May-2004, 23:43
Big Twin

Tecmoto do screen screws. I got some when I bought an MRA screen from them...but they have them on their website if I remember right?
Old 14-May-2004, 00:50
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Totto

Please excuse me if i make a complete arse of myself here but.................i thought the screen screws on mine were stripped as well after trying with an allen key. After cursing; then closer examination i realised that the small screen screws are not allen screws but a torx/star screw and when i bought the correct size torx (either a number 6 or 8) it turns out none of them were stripped and come off real easy, whereas an allen key works on some but not others!

Of course this only applies to the 996 not the st4 which uses allen screws for the screen.

Sorry if i'm posting something that is common knowledge re the torx fitting.

[Edited on 13-5-2004 by BDG]
Old 14-May-2004, 07:45
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
If you look in your tool kit, the one under the seat there is an allen key with the correct torx size at one end to fit your screen screws

Chris
Old 14-May-2004, 09:03
Big Twin

Mood: Not so broke any more !!!!!!!!
Yep used the one in the tool kit , found a small electrical screw driver that managed to get them all out !
So all i need to do now is replace the things !
Old 14-May-2004, 10:22
500SD
Bikes: CBR 600F2-(Ishikawa), Blade RRS-(Baba San), 996s-(Tambo), 996R-(Tambo), MV f1000 312-Tambo

Mood: I like my bike
Screen Bolts

Have asked Nattyboy if he can supply the Ducati ones. His reply:

I can do them for £3.20 (ducati price is £4.70) per assembly (screw, and well nut type thingy..part number 69920721A

Only thing is you ll have to wait till I get back from WDW on 28/5 !!
Tecmoto do Screen and fairing set of black anodised torx screws 4mm 24.99.
Old 14-May-2004, 11:16
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
I replaced mine with a screen screw kit from one of the cheapie places - MPS/M&P/Busters/etc - and these were slightly bigger so I had to just run a drill through the holes, but they worked fine and look the same.

The great thing is I took them all off to replace them with a set of black ones from TecMoto and all the rubber nuts were fine and I didn't mash a single one! Just goes to show them Italians can't make/source decent fasteners.

Cheapies cost £8 or so for a pack. I think they were Motrax so you should be able to get them from a local bike shop. TecMotos are 24.99 but are a better match for standard.

http://www.tecmoto.co.uk/
Tell them the DSC sent you!