Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Aug-2005, 10:23
500SD

Mood: Double 9, Single 6.
Big thanks

Once again,

I fire loads of questions and get lots of helpful answers back.

Top Forum. As some of you may have noticed in my recent threads. I will be re building a 996 lump from the ground up. Hopefully I will be setting the squish, dailing the cams in, rebuilding the Desmo heads and checking re conditioning from the cases up.

Hopefully I will be getting a sweet motor that I know inside and out and will give a 996 SPS a good run for its money!!

But this will be an ongoing project so may not be finished for a while as I intend to complete the project back home at my old mans worshop, in Cornwall. So it all depends on parts being available and me getting my arse down there from time to time.

Stay tuned for updates and Digital pics......Wahoo!
DC
Old 20-Aug-2005, 11:19
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Good luck fella - sounds like you'll have your hands full !!
Old 20-Aug-2005, 11:42
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
Wot exactly you done to the motor DC? I only ask cos I gonna be having some work done on my lump (996S) done over the winter and it might be interesting to see where you coming from. I assume you had lots of advice from folks?
Old 20-Aug-2005, 17:09
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by yeti
Wot exactly you done to the motor DC? I only ask cos I gonna be having some work done on my lump (996S) done over the winter and it might be interesting to see where you coming from. I assume you had lots of advice from folks?

Hello Yeti,

Yep, lots of advice. Scanned all the Ducati engineering sites. And have reseached all the figures for cam timing, squish and all the other bits and bobs.

I hope to end up with a very acurate, well put together 996 lump. At this stage, I do not know wether to go down the route of fitting SPS bits. I will have to see.

At the moment I am at the stripping down stage to see exactly where I am with regards to wear and bits that need replacing or upgrading. I dont want to chuck loads of money at the lump for the sake of it. I will be doing as much of the work as I can myself.
I do have the Help of my old man so should be ok as he used to be a Head engineer working on Drag bike,Speedway and motocross engines. What he doesnt know aint worth knowing!! I will have the use of his workshop back home in Cornwall.

Its going to be built bit by bit so no mad rush to get it done for next summer. Anyhow, I have my Sigma prepared 853 to tide me over.

Laterz

DC.

[Edited on 20-8-2005 by DC]
Old 20-Aug-2005, 17:36
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by DC
Quote:
Originally posted by yeti

Hello Yeti,

Yep, lots of advice. Scanned all the Ducati engineering sites. And have reseached all the figures for cam timing, squish and all the other bits and bobs.

I hope to end up with a very acurate, well put together 996 lump. At this stage, I do not know wether to go down the route of fitting SPS bits. I will have to see.

At the moment I am at the stripping down stage to see exactly where I am with regards to wear and bits that need replacing or upgrading. I dont want to chuck loads of money at the lump for the sake of it. I will be doing as much of the work as I can myself.
I do have the Help of my old man so should be ok as he used to be a Head engineer working on Drag bike,Speedway and motocross engines. What he doesnt know aint worth knowing!! I will have the use of his workshop back home in Cornwall.

Its going to be built bit by bit so no mad rush to get it done for next summer. Anyhow, I have my Sigma prepared 853 to tide me over.

Laterz

DC.

[Edited on 20-8-2005 by DC]

Where to in Cornwall mate ?
Old 21-Aug-2005, 21:35
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
whats wrong with the 853 mate

bored of it all ready

see you for a ride when you make it down here

deej
Old 21-Aug-2005, 21:44
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
DC good luck with the project mate.

When you and your dad have finished a very good friend of mine (Brian Capper) who is an absolute wizard with engines runs the dyno at GT Motorcycles in Plymouth. If you haven't already stripped it it may be worth doing a before and after on the dyno.
Old 21-Aug-2005, 21:59
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by deej
whats wrong with the 853 mate

bored of it all ready

see you for a ride when you make it down here

deej

Nothing wrong with it, Just fancy something else with a bit more oomph. That and I fancy having a fiddle about with a Desmo V twin. So it might as well have some more cubes to start with.

DC.
Old 21-Aug-2005, 22:01
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by BDG
DC good luck with the project mate.

When you and your dad have finished a very good friend of mine (Brian Capper) who is an absolute wizard with engines runs the dyno at GT Motorcycles in Plymouth. If you haven't already stripped it it may be worth doing a before and after on the dyno.

Cor, GT motorcycles. I havent been there in years.

DC