Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-Nov-2004, 23:41
Mille

Mood: jolly chap
thank god for warrenty £££££££

Hello all,
my 999 went in for EOBD warning light and misfire ( running like a bag of shi* ) and news came back today that the crank shaft bearings are shot and poss main bearings !!!!!!
gob smacked is not the right word, it only had 3,756 miles and only 13 months old.
NOT VERY GOOD IS IT ? even although under warrenty.

I will keep you all in touch with the final damage etc.
At least the bike is in good hands Bridge at Andover.

I will be looking into this extra warrenty that i read somewhere here !

one pi**ed off bikeless phillip.
i might have to buy a cheapish 748/ 916 about £3k anyone ?
Old 04-Nov-2004, 01:11
Big Twin

Mood: My K5 Rocks !!!!
Sorry mate thats bad news.....hope they get sorted before next summer !!
Old 04-Nov-2004, 10:26
Big Twin

Bad news m8. What exactly were symptoms?
Mine runs like **** for the first mile or so then goes as normal after that.
Old 04-Nov-2004, 12:05
500SD

Mood: What's going on??
That's tough!

That bike is still new, I reckon Ducati should replace your bike never mind repairing, that should be taken away and fully analysed.

Even so no courtesy bike?
Old 04-Nov-2004, 15:01
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
Not like cars is it!
Old 04-Nov-2004, 23:12
Mille

Hello all,
yes totally unexpected, went in with electrical problem and ended up with this problem, the only signs was a whinning noise from the engine, ducatis have so many noises going on with the dry clutch, cans etc and being a V twin. But obviously to the trainned ear it was obvious.
It had only done about 1K since it was last in at a ducati dealer so happened that quick, i have heard of 3 the 749,s going the same way with under 2k and showing copper on the shells !!!!!!
Anyway i have a good chap working on it and is keeping me informed as he progresses through so will keep this thread up to date.
Regards Phillip
Old 05-Nov-2004, 19:04
Mille

Hi all,
just giving you all an update as i said i would, 2 days after delivery of the bike to Bridge in Andover all parts have been ordered and should be here in approx 2 weeks , so i think that is very good considering it is quiet a big job this engine rebuilding !!!!!!
Anyway the Service Manager phoned today to say that the main reason for the crankshaft and main bearings going was that the crankshaft shimms were set to tight from the factory, this has had a couple times to other bikes so i have heard, anyway all well underway now and all work under warrenty. I must admit that so far i am very impressed with Ducati Bridge they dont mess about.
As we all know sometimes it is difficult trying to find a good Ducati Dealer and workshop, so will let you all know what happens here and the prices for the service which is also being carried out at the same time.
Regards Phillip Mace
Old 05-Nov-2004, 19:24
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by PHILLIP
...main reason for the crankshaft and main bearings going was that the crankshaft shimms were set to tight from the factory, this has had a couple times to other bikes so i have heard,

Good to hear that there's progress, even though it's beyond your control. Better it's now rather than mid-summer. Free storage for a couple of weeks then!

Any talk of general recall from Ducati? I is worried
Old 05-Nov-2004, 19:29
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
Bad luck Phillip. Are we too British? If you spend that much on a piece of equipment and it goes pop for a known fault, should we not be looking at at least a courtesy bike of similar standing, ie not a Monster, and some compensation from Ducati, (not the poor dealer that has to sort it out)?

It'll no doubt be sorted by the dealer, but how long were you without the bike? If it's your only mode of transport and you had to hire a car or take public transport, should warranties not cover that? (or do they?).

Hope it comes back 'like a new bike' Phillip

WeeJohnyB
Old 05-Nov-2004, 23:22
Mille

Hi All,
yes Alan your right, but what worries me is what if this happened just after the warrenty ran out !!!!
I will not be contacting Ducati UK YET until the bike is back and i am happy with it all ( i have total confidence in Bridge Andover )

Its just Ducati they should be making communications with me regarding the poor standard of workmanship envolved in such an expensive peice of equipment which has been designed to be used on the public roads worldwide, and letting thier customers risk thier lives because if these bearings had gone tits up and sized whilst on the public roads !!!! well i would hate to think of the results ESPECIALLY WITH ONE OF MY SONS ON THE BACK, it is quite bad considering that apparently it is a problem that Ducati are aware of and as such should be useing some kind of traceability system ( ISO 9001 ) to track down the faulty parts or inexperienced member of staff for retraining for shimm measurments etc !!!
This would not be difficult to do and then issue a recal to those bikes effected, as i said i will be contacting Ducati direct all in good time and will be expecting no demanding some compensation.
And yes Johny your so right it is all left upto the dealers to sort it out and take the shi* from the customer, you would think that any bad publicity is the last thing they need at the moment looking at there sales figures for last year so would go out of there way to help, apoligies and assist the customer so they dont get ****ed off, mud sticks !!!!! and bad news travels fast.

Will update as things move along
Phillip Mace