Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 02-Sep-2005, 11:02
Ducati Corse

Mood: www.suzukisportingclub.com the only place to be
749R - Any Thoughts or Experiences?

Anyone out got or had a 749R? Thinking of getting one but would like some insight before I take anything further so any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 02-Sep-2005, 11:10
Big Twin

I have had about 6 Ducatis from the early 748 to the 996 and now have a 749R which is the best of the lot of them even though I loved all of my Ducatis.
I personally think it is much easier to ride, smoother, faster and handles better, 748/996 owners will beg to differ probably !
The only downside for me is that the bars are too low even though they are higher than the 748/996 but this is just because I have no strength in my arms from having ME which is leaving me 'wrecked' and sore after even a short ride.
You will have no doubt read that I am considering selling mine and this is only because of my discomfort and for no other reason.
I would thoroughly recommend one.
Old 02-Sep-2005, 11:24
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Chris, have a chat with Graham Butcher-he has a 'baby R' complete with the full supersport race kit-he loves it.
I rode it at Cadwell and had to pull in-I was having just TOO much fun.

John
Old 02-Sep-2005, 13:44
GTL

Mood: going for a ride...
In the last 5 years I have owned a 748R , a 999S and now my 749R , definitely the best of the 3 from both a riding and owning point of view.

Faster , better handling , lighter than the 748R was , much easier to ride too.

Other than outright top speed not much difference between it and the 999S (the 05 999S would probably be a different kettle etc) but a much more involving ride so more fun.

If you can get one of the original carbon versions it is a very special bike , the panels are very well made and finished , all the other toys , radial brakes / ohlins etc all add to the overall quality of the bike.

Last but not least , the big tank , forget the weld (you can't see it as you ride anyway) apart from the obvious increased range it just looks better than the piddly little tank on all the other 749/999's

...........................did I say mine was for sale (reluctantly) maybe ?
Old 02-Sep-2005, 14:13
Mille

Buy a copy of this month's T.W.O. There's a piece about the 749R. Glowing needless to say!
Old 02-Sep-2005, 14:16
Mille

Mood: Got the S - waiting for the Termi's
What he said !

I've had 996's , 748 and 900 SS.

749R is a hoot to ride - its like a torquey big two stroke.....you can barrel into corners - slam down the box (letting the slipper clutch do the clever bits for you) and then gas it out.

In my opinion the larger petrol tank offers a much better look to the bike.

They are quite special machines
Old 02-Sep-2005, 15:41
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
fantastic !
Old 02-Sep-2005, 17:26
Big Twin

Mood: I've just ordered a new bike and its a ..
W.H Snells have a new 2004 ie carbon fairing example in stock.i have a 748R by definition and whilst it hasn't got that top end killer punch of the larger engined R's its much much more urgent than its BP or S counterparts and having had a darn good thrash with Henners on his 996R the other day,the difference in real terms up to 110MPH is ,well, none .Wilf from Moto Rapido has said on many occations that the 749R is a much better bet than the larger capacity ones and Chris, it gives you a perfic excuse for not being able to keep up with us young uns on larger bikes if needed(got an R1 too)Hee hee
Old 02-Sep-2005, 18:31
Big Twin

Mood: r
its better on track than road,great fun.
Old 02-Sep-2005, 19:42
Big Twin

Mood: Enjoying Togdom !
ABSO_BLOODY_LOOTLY MARVELOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BUTCH