Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 31-Jan-2009, 16:25
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP
Windows mobile sync can also be secure, depends on the provider - the same as blackberry, it's no different. Windows mobile/outlook supports push mail the same as blackberry - there's no difference. In fact from a corporate point of view Exchange and Systems Centre Mobile Device Manager has some features that Blackberry can't compete with yet.

From a device point of view, and bearing in mind Tonio isn't connecting to a corporate push mail server, be it blackberry or windows based, the HTC HD is the hands down winner IMO. Most providers, apart from Orange it would seem, do an unlimited data plan fairly cheap which would be good for email and developing on the fly. Orange bundled data is not expensive but I wouldn't go calling it cheap yet.

Having said that, now that you've got a business Tonio it would be worht investigating what business tariffs you can get from various providers and this deal *may* sway your handset choice. If I was in your shoes though, I'd pick the HTC HD all day long.

Wrong Tony sorry, BlackBerry is the only true push email device that uses a central infrastructure, it compresses each email and browsing also so if you're concerned about your tariff it beats WM device hands down, as such this also increases battery life way over 100% on a WM platform (by an independent test also) finally it's secure it's the ONLY approved email solution for UK/US government use (think you might of seen Obama kept his BB device recently) and the latest incarnation of WM (6.1) recently failed CESG (government) approval again, let alone Frauhofer certification in Germany (Government) etc etc.

Back to BB though, currently there are the following devices in the market place

Pearl 8810 (includes GPS)

Pearl flip 8220 (as above but flip phone)

Curve 8900 (newest phone available incl GPS and WiFi)

Storm (Voda only "click"screen) - **** NOT SIM LOCKED THOUGH****

Bold (3G, Wifi, GPS....)

The storm is OK but is a consumer device (touchscreen) so far 90% to consumer in market, similar to the iPhone,/HTC, new firmware release a week or two ago to address certain issues.

Pearl 8810 like a normal phone but also BB enabled either BIS/BES
Pearl flip as above

Curve 8900 the latest phone, my personal device at the moment, great bit of kit, good battery life cracking screen , wifi/GPS not 3G

Bold does it all, you can even Bluetooth to your laptop and use it as a 3G modem, BUT because it does it all the battery does suffer (still over 24 hours) but by disabling what you don't use (Bluetooth/Wifi/3G) etc you can vastly reduce the power consumption, new firmware was release last week and should address battery life and will be available on the carriers website.

Note - make sure you have at least 4.5 code loaded on the devices to get the latest features, Bold/8900/Storm all come with 4.6/4.7 out of the box.

Oh plenty of apps out there including Google mail (calendar sync - I use this myself), GPS, Tube maps, travel info, iTunes playlist sync and not that I'd imagine you use SAP but we are the preferred partner for deploying SAP to the mobile workforce, and $150M has just been handed out to developers to create more 3rd party apps.

Last edited by JPM : 31-Jan-2009 at 17:55.
Old 31-Jan-2009, 19:14
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
I love my iPhone, but for business I'd have a Blackberry Bold without question. I don't have one but that's because I prefer clients to have to really make an effort if they want to speak to me!

I would also point out that ownership of a Blackberry of any kind has a direct, and fairly unpleasant, effect on your social skills.....
Old 31-Jan-2009, 19:20
Cucciolo
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 848 Evo Corse

Mood: Waiting for the revolution!
Good info Jon. I would like a touch screen (perhaps as its gadgety??) and was loking at a Nokia 5800 today which apparently has WiFi, email etc and is basically a new version of my one. The downside is 3 hours talk time!!!!

Might have to be a Blackberry Bold as I am on T Mobile and the Storm is not on that provider.

Is there another touchscreen one in the pipeline which will be on other providers???
Old 31-Jan-2009, 20:29
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: R1200RT F800GS. Hopefully another Ducati soon

I have the new I Phone and have used my Father in laws Storm, definitely wouldnt swap. The I phone is my personal device and it does everything I need including e-mails albeit only from my G Mail a/c
Old 01-Feb-2009, 02:00
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: What a wonderful world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Can't think of any major downsides

- Average camera (not that I am too bothered about that).
- Doesn't do copy / paste.
Old 01-Feb-2009, 16:17
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: ooooh
I have just had my work phone replaced with an htc touch diamond, as a phone it is rubbish complete rubbish. The battery goes flat in a day and it isn't as easy as a normal phone to access contacts, answer the phone or basically use as a normal phone.
On the plus side I can use it to browse the internet and collect any e-mails from any account and it does that quite quickly, however I am going back to my old phone as I need it to be a good phone with good battery life first and foremost
Old 02-Feb-2009, 20:27
Mille

Nokia E series for me, good size with a full keyboard, easy syncing and browsing. can use wifi and be used as a modem.
Old 02-Feb-2009, 22:17
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
well I had a play today and I have to say that in terms of usability for a consumer device I prefer the Iphone to the Storm for sure.

For work i have a Blackberry Pearl but also spent a bit of time today playing with the new Curve which is really nice to use. I still like the Bold but it is a bit more bulky even though it is quite stylish.

obviously form user perspective they all offer similar functions for me but if I was choosing I would go for the Curve
Old 03-Feb-2009, 09:14
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPM
Wrong Tony sorry, BlackBerry is the only true push email device that uses a central infrastructure,

Can you explain to me how I can get push email from my Exchange server at work to my HTC device if its not considered true push email?
Old 03-Feb-2009, 09:37
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: What a wonderful world.
I think Tony is right:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc164305.aspx

That's very interesting though, it seems the Windows device is behaving like a web server...

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit