Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 14-May-2013, 12:33
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
New Tyres on the Hypermotard - Pirelli Angel GT

It was MOT time last week and I needed a new pair of tyres on the Hypermotard to get it through. I was running Pirelli Angel ST, which are the Sport Touring tyres as the Hyper is my daily commute and I needed longevity over stickyness; I had managed to wear out a rear Metzeler Sportec M3 in a matter of months!

One critiscism of the Angel ST is that it has worn rather quickly in the middle and not at the edges, almost like it could be harder in the centre to get increased mileage out of it. The tyre is also slightly slick when cold but warms up quickly enough, usually within a mile of home. I had previously done the DSC trackday at Cadwell on the Angel ST tyres, and they felt fine even getting my knee down (which is a long way on the Hyper!) so they certainly have enough grip for the bike.

Pirelli have just launched the Angel GT, which is the latest/updated version of their touring tyre to replace the ST, and gives this harder centre for more mileage that I wanted. I must admit that I didn't read any reviews, and bought them purely based upon the fact that I had the Angel ST, they had been a good (6000 mile+) tyre with no issues in the dry or wet and would happily have put another pair on!

First impressions are - as with any tyre change - that it makes the bike feel so much better, if slightly scary at first! That's just having a new pair of tyres which haven't squared off and so will happily roll into a corner. They still have that initial greasy/slick feeling when I first leave in the morning but, as with the old ST tyres, by the time I've got up the road and have filled up with petrol they are warmed up and feel fine.

It's too early to tell what the mileage will be like, and it looks like I may get to test them in the wet today, but suffice to say that my initial impressions are that they feel fine, as good as the ST, and hopefully will last longer.

The tyres cost me £205 delivered via ebay - I just sorted by cheapest price That's slightly more than I paid for a pair of ST, which were £169 the pair iirc, but if they last the extra miles then they may well be worth it. Don't forget that you can get the cost of an entry ticket to any BSB round refunded if you buy a set of Pirellis, which will save you an extra £26! See this page for more info

The mileage on the Hyper at the previous MOT was 15,200 miles and this year it was 25,500 miles so just over 10,000 miles in a year which isn't bad going. At least I now have a definite start mileage on these tyres so will be able to track progress.

If you want to read about the press release and reviews of the Angel GT, see these: Visordown Review of Pirelli Angel GT, Youtube video of Agel GT launch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg angel_gt.jpg (375.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg hyper_cadwell.jpg (67.7 KB, 11 views)

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!

Last edited by antonye : 14-May-2013 at 12:42.