Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 30-Mar-2006, 22:47
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 916 Senna, 748RS Corse, 1098s Race

Mood: walking on sunshine.....
Flying Lap of Cadwell - Educational?

In the spirit of Skids earlier post regarding sharing info for the novices, I thought I would describe a lap on #10.

For no reason than to support and encourage novices to think about their own laps/version/style etc..

This is running 15/40 sprockets on a '94 ss, max torque 5500, max hp 7500, trying to ride within this rev range, except when in top then going untill having to brake - 9000?

In top over the start line, chin hard on tank, elbows in, arse in air (not sitting in the seat) throttle hard to the stop.

Late entry to Coppice, still hard throttle, shift weight left, hang off, half arse to the left. Stand up the bike and change down one gear for entry to Charlies 1, no brakes, knee down at apex, run wide left over crest, deep breath as track appears, roll half of throttle to settle bike for Charlies 2, late entry, looking hard right down park straight, roll on throttle to stop as clip second rumble strip run wide to left side of park.

Hold to stop, change to top gear, assume the position (as above) for the straight...........waiting.......waiting......

Sit up as you see the change in tarmac, brake hard at new tarmac, down two gears, apex, acellerate hard to white line/rumble strip, change up at entry point (white dot) to

Chris curve, hard to the stop, letting the bike flow around Chris curve, don't run straight at all, run out wide, left white line for straight entry to the right of the gooseneck.

Roll of , no brakes and change down one as you shift the bike right to left at the gooseneck, accelrate hard into the left and dab knee on rumble strip.

Throttle hard down Mansfeild, light brakes, down one gear, turn in at white dot, look ahead to new chicane, push out wide to rumbles, up one gear, hard to new chicane.

Down one gear, light brakes, straight line into right then 'flop' left and hard on the throttle, up one gear.

Brake, down one gear, enter from late right into the left and try to hold tight left line into the entry of the right up the mountain. I aim for the left third of the mountain top and roll of over the top, back on it hard and change up one gear.

Late entry from the left into Hall, stay tight right then late turn left, close as possible to the white line, knee down on the rumbles, try and straight line the right up and accelerate over the left crest and brake hard, then down one gear for the hairpin.

Looking hard right, hold a tight line into the hairpin then running out to the white line on exit.

Up one gear for the entry to Barn, enter late from the left, try and hold a tight line and stand the bike up and accelarate hard as soon as you see the exit.

REPEAT 6 times... until you catch Phil and other DD friends....

This is good enough for a 1.53.77, just pipped by Glyn for the 583 lap record and 1/2 a second faster than me last year on the 675.

I can go quicker for sure, Phil and I pushed each other and he defended on our last flying lap and we ran these times. Right conditions and if I can sort my braking to Phil's level? I'd think a 1.52 is poss, maybe a high 1.51.

Hope this helps and is taken in the positive spirit it is meant.

You comments?
Old 30-Mar-2006, 22:52
Big Twin

nice one mate

I see MCN did a test there on the new R6 and Neevesey flung it down the road at the goose neck

bike cart wheeled to distruction
Old 30-Mar-2006, 23:01
Mille

Mood: 1st,start to finish
Thanks Chris ,just found 2 seconds
Old 30-Mar-2006, 23:14
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

I just lost 2 seconds :P
Old 31-Mar-2006, 17:25
Big Twin

Mood: DD 2006: 4th Top Rookie. DD 2007: 2nd Class B. DD 2008: 2nd Class B.
very interesting can see where i could go a lot faster like not braking at so mush i.e into the goose neck and turning late into the first corner. can any one do one for brands im looking forward to how hard i can druids
Old 31-Mar-2006, 17:38
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by Dominic Clegg
can any one do one for brands im looking forward to how hard i can druids

Have you been there before?

Are you riding there before the race?

If you know where you're going, try to follow one of the top 6 guys in practice/qually, but don't ride beyond your limits. If they are too fast, let them go and pick the next quick guy.

You will get there, but walk first

[Edited on 31-3-2006 by domski]
Old 31-Mar-2006, 17:41
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

...and walk the track.

Talk to the fast guys for advice - but apply it to your riding, don't neccessarily do exactly what they say. What is easy for one may get you in trouble.

You're welcome to have a chat with me as much as you like. I'm an average kind of racer and I'll happily walk the track with you and talk crap about braking and stuff.

[Edited on 31-3-2006 by domski]
Old 31-Mar-2006, 17:57
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: 900,900,851,750,750,750, 600,600,450,350,350,250
Very good commentary Chris.
The only things you missed out were the places where you hold your breath when its a bit slippy
Old 31-Mar-2006, 18:02
Big Twin

Mood: DD 2006: 4th Top Rookie. DD 2007: 2nd Class B. DD 2008: 2nd Class B.
never been on the track at brands
Old 31-Mar-2006, 18:28
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by Dominic Clegg
never been on the track at brands

In that case I would just take it at your own pace and forget following anyone fast - until the race of course.

We can still have a chat and walk the track Saturday night.