Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 05-Oct-2009, 21:51
Big Twin

Mood: #65 Double Desmo Due Champion - Class B 2007, Class A 2009
Andys October Cadwell Report - The End of an Era (New Era, lol)

Now we had the championship wrapped up it was time to race to enjoy ourselves, just as it started four years ago, no pressure. The RC had confirmed it was ok to run No1’s on the bike which was an absolute honour. We’d prep’d the bike well after the off last week at Pembrey but we’d forgotten to deal with what had caused the off in the first place…………..

Saturday was a day to get used to the bike and settings, settle into the track & see how things go. I stuck my kneck out on the last lap of qualifying which surprised us with pole. It was a surprise as Tim disappeared into the distance but pulled in once he’d had enough. I knew the conditions weren’t good so let the tyres heat-up before getting my head down, even in traffic.

It was a strange day of racing too as I hadn’t got the pace of Tim, he disappeared without waiting for me but subsequently stopped to re-fit his seat in race 1 and to restart the bike in race 2. I was struggling with the wind which got under my big fairing and lifted the front away every time I tipped into the Goosekneck, scarey! But at places like Snetterton the fairing is an advantage for cooling the motor and slip-streaming. Anyway, 2 wins it was and we’d hit our little target of 20 wins this season, together with 8 poles, something else to take away and be proud of. One extra special surprise was the awesome presentation and the monster of a trophy, even bigger than the annual one’s we used to win at swimming, wow!!!

Sunday DD races: We went out for qually and once again Tim slivered away, slipping & sliding on his new tyres and then disappearing into orbit. I was trying to get heat into the front tyre which wasn’t having any of it. Second on the grid was a relief, considering my pace. We decided I wasn’t attacking the circuit enough as I’d took my focus off after winning the championship??

Race 1: Got a good start & headed off for a battle with Tim, passing him into Park, but the gremlins of the Goosekneck crept in and I bottled out in the battle, the front tyre was again not playing ball but then the rear started sliding too. Everytime I pushed the tyres would not comply, in the end I conceded to 2nd way back from Tim who cracked off some excellent lap times.

Race 2: A quick adjustment of tyre pressure & fuel level would see us upping the pace, or so we thought… Tom Parke looked like he was on a mission pushing to the front on the warm-up lap and showing us what he’s made of, good work Tom and very professional. Unfortunately another area my tyres we spinning up was through Hall Bends and as Tom tipped for the right his rear let go & down he went, hope your ok fella. We lined up and Sam West headed into pit lane, I immediately thought he was reporting of Tom’s off, but later heard he was having tyre troubles too??? We headed off but I immediately found the tyres were even worse and that together with Tom’s off spooking me through the Woodlands and my badly sprained ankle (I’ve got loads of excuses you know….) I was, well, rubbish…. I didn’t want to pull in as I’d planned a burn-out at the end so just decided to finish in one piece…. We put it down to a bad set of tyres which caused the lack of pace here and the off at Pembrey. A great double burn-out with Cleggy was in order and celebrations with my friends, family and valentino team. As Dave said, you guys made us come out on top because you’re the best!!!!! Its been awesome racing so closely with some excellent riders. Tim has been so strong and we’ve race so close without ever causing issues,. Will & Tom had some strong rides and theres quite a few others building their pace. Well done to Sam for Winning Class B and showing such pace.

Thanks to everyone for coming to watch me, thanks to my family for their time and effort which paid off in our quest for Desmo Due A & B victories and my loyal sponsors making racing happen for me. Special mention to a good friend Nelly at Cornerspeed for sponsoring this meeting for us and the parts to fix the bike after Pembrey.

Some of you guys know why I’m bowing out of racing and I’m gonna do another post about my time in DD and our reasons for finishing for everyone. We’ll be there next year, just not on a bike. Anyone wanting advice or reasons to do DD get in touch, do it now or live regretting not done it! Who’s wants to buy a double championship winning bike, one less thing to worry about.

Andy #1
Old 05-Oct-2009, 23:43
Big Twin

Mood: If you ain't first, you're last!
Mate, I think you hit the nail on the head.

We've raced ridiculously closely, and had some furious battles that I shall tell my Grandkids (the legend of the fast blue man)

Without being overly self congratulatory though, I think we've shown people that you can race at a frantic level, keep respect, dignity and fun, and just have a blast. Best racing year of my life..knew it would be.

And hey, It's the first year I've gone all season without a crash. FAR OUT!

See ya soon buddy
Old 06-Oct-2009, 07:33
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Great report Andy, you and Tim have had have fought a great battle all year, hopefully you may run your own team next year, believe me it gets just as frought this side of the pit wall as on track, just ask Tracey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otei
And hey, It's the first year I've gone all season without a crash. FAR OUT!

And best it stay's that way.

Chris