Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 21-Jun-2004, 16:47
Big Twin

Mood: :devil:
Wet weather track tyre...don\'t fancy full wets

Just wondering what your thoughts were for a set of wet weather track tyres without going for full wets. Not sure I'd get any real use from full wets so wouldn't mind a reasonable tyre that if it starts to rain I could chuck on. I'm not one for constantly swapping wheels so if it dries out then they can stay on. How about 208's? They any good in the wet?

I currently use Rennsports and don't mind them too much in the damp if that's any guide to you
Old 21-Jun-2004, 18:20
Montjuic

I'd have thought you'd be better off with the 207 pattern than the 208. The 207GP has been a perennial favourite in. There's a helluva deal available on 207RR's, as used exclusively by CSS, although I've no personal experience of them yet.

Andy
Old 21-Jun-2004, 18:26
Big Twin

I used to use the 207RR's in the dry before I moved over to Rennsports but never really got to use them in the wet. I just assumed the 208 would be a better step forward but maybe the 207 at bargain prices is the way to go for the amount of use they'll get.
Old 21-Jun-2004, 18:41
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
I ran 207 RR's at the very wet DSC trackday at Mallory last year and they behaved very well. Clearly, they won't give you the ultimate traction as full wets do, but they make a good intermediate tyre in my experience. At the current prices, you can't beat it.

There also was a Bridgestone tyre that was highly rated in the wet but I can't remember which one.
Old 21-Jun-2004, 18:46
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Not so sure about the 208's... I use the 208GP, and yesterday used them on wet roads for the first time. They were crap! Slippy slidey all over the place. OK, so the RR's do have a better tread pattern, but I didn't get on with them in the wet either.

Best wet/dry combination tyre in my experience (although only road riding) is the BT012 - even got my knee down in the rain once! But don't try that until you're as good as me!!
Old 21-Jun-2004, 18:52
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
As Felix suggests the Dunlop 207RRs would be a good choice, as used by the R6 cup boys, don't need to be kept as warm as the GP versions and have a pattern that clears water
Following the tragic loss of life at Brands yesterday I can see a rule change coming for the Superstock class.
As for me when its wet on the track I'll continue to use wets and try to carry a set of part warn wets in case the track is drying
Old 21-Jun-2004, 18:52
Big Twin

Cheers Felix. Somebody else has mentioned Bridgestone 012SS to me. Are they the one's you are thinking of?
Old 21-Jun-2004, 18:53
Big Twin

Cheers Felix. Somebody else has mentioned Bridgestone 012SS to me. Are they the one's you are thinking of?
Old 21-Jun-2004, 18:57
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Could be, Desmondo, just can't remember.
Old 21-Jun-2004, 20:07
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
DSC day at Mallory last year - could it get any wetter?

I was following Johny Haines - the chief CSS instructor bloke -first one behind him as he led the inters out on one session. Did the two warm up laps and I stayed with him, then he decide to clear off on the third time through Gerrards.

I have an abiding memory of watching him cranked right over, knee down, in streaming wet conditions on...207RR's. Nuff said.

Having said that, I've been out in the wet on my Diablos (the ordinary ones not the corses) and they feel good as well, although I haven't done any wet trackdays on 'em