Ducati Sporting Club UK
Stolen Bikes
Please read the guidelines on this thread before posting an entry

Old 08-Dec-2005, 12:55

Mood: No! No! No! erm OK then
If I though the missus out I'd have to get rid of the bike as she would take all my pocket money with her
Old 09-Dec-2005, 00:29
Mille
Bikes: ST4S

Mood: Finally gotten over the 748R getting stolen thing. Actually, no i haven't !
I am the guy who had his bike nicked from Mallory, first bike nicked in over 20 years. It is not my fekkin fault that premiums are high. Its the *******s who stole it, go F*** yourself.
I am really unhappy that it happened but like others have said i will not let the possibility of it happening again turn me into a paranoid nervous wreck. I still expect to enjoy me biking.
Yes britain is a dump, agree with that bit but i would be just as worried about bike theft in Italy or the south of france.
Old 09-Dec-2005, 09:57
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by keith_mann1959
I am the guy who had his bike nicked from Mallory, first bike nicked in over 20 years. It is not my fekkin fault that premiums are high. Its the *******s who stole it, go F*** yourself.
I am really unhappy that it happened but like others have said i will not let the possibility of it happening again turn me into a paranoid nervous wreck. I still expect to enjoy me biking.
Yes britain is a dump, agree with that bit but i would be just as worried about bike theft in Italy or the south of france.
Some years ago friend went to france and got his bike nicked first night. Is France a dump?

Death Penalty - nah, too easy. Give em jail and let them suffer their conscience if they have one.
Two days ago it was reported that a gentleman oooop north (in bradford I think) was sent to jail for 8 years. The courts also said that if he doesn't pay back an amount of money he scammed he'll get an extra 7 years. That amount of money was around 2 million - so if he doesn't pay it back then I figure for each of those 7 years he has £300k? So much for make the punishment fit the crime.

Back on thread - having your bike nicked. so who's the criminal then? the geezer who nicks it, the insurance company who pays out a meezly amount and ramps up other peoples insurance through no fault of their own, or the owner who doesn't take sufficient care over his own property, or then again, is it the primary school teacher who should have instilled a better understanding of right and wrong in little Johnny?
Old 09-Dec-2005, 12:02
RCA

Is France a dump?

Death Penalty - nah, too easy. Give em jail and let them suffer their conscience if they have one.
Two days ago it was reported that a gentleman oooop north (in bradford I think) was sent to jail for 8 years. The courts also said that if he doesn't pay back an amount of money he scammed he'll get an extra 7 years. That amount of money was around 2 million - so if he doesn't pay it back then I figure for each of those 7 years he has £300k? So much for make the punishment fit the crime.

Back on thread - having your bike nicked. so who's the criminal then? the geezer who nicks it, the insurance company who pays out a meezly amount and ramps up other peoples insurance through no fault of their own, or the owner who doesn't take sufficient care over his own property, or then again, is it the primary school teacher who should have instilled a better understanding of right and wrong in little Johnny? [/quote]

Yes France is a dump, and the channel tunnel has alot to answer for...(but will save that for another time or Radio 2).

To further clarify my original point, a motorcycle (especially a Ducati) is clearly a desirble item and because of this and because bikes are so difficult to make secure because of the very physics, because liquid nitro exists, because England has become a dumping grown for the dregs of our society, we have to take the view that, if a bike is left outside, unattended, out of sight by the owner, it is not safe.

The fact is FC insurance is so expensive because so many bikes gets stolen because of the 'I don't care attitude it's covered' or the 'Its safe here, I'll only be a minute...' attitudes. I do not know anyone who has/can afford FC insurance? Do you? I cannot even get a qoute from any of the respectable (if you can call them that!) insurance companies. I got a few companies wanting £4,000, its ridiculas. So ok, I have a £10k bike thats only 3rd party, but I know 100% its never gonna get nicked (and if it did, I would know either the bird or the dog were in on it, especially when a few days later she was sporting a Gucci watch and the dog a diamonty coller!). FC or no FC, I would still be just as security conscious, and how does a few locks and 5 minutes of manovering the bike into the house take away the enjoyment of riding? It does'nt. If I go out for a ride and stop, I just make sure I always have sight of it, which is'nt difficult. Its not paranoi, it's being sensible and helping the cause. Taking a desirible bike (Ducati, MV..) to a race track on a busy race day, IMHO, is not a clever move.

Lets face it, most of us only have bike insurance because its a legallty, which is why most of us go for 3rd party only cover. I have done the maths and FC insurance based on the qoutes I have had, given the odds, pros and cons, would be a total waste of time and money on any bike.

I think I/we have exhausted this one for now, how about a new topic, hhmm....

'Jeremy Clarkson.........Firing Squad or Public Stoning? Maybe it's this clown nicking all the bikes?
Old 09-Dec-2005, 12:49
Mille
Bikes: ST4S

Mood: Finally gotten over the 748R getting stolen thing. Actually, no i haven't !
My Fully comp was less than £300 for a 748R. Not out of reach at all.
I can't imagine a way that i can go to a major race meeting and wander around as i want and still be able to see my bike, Get REAL. This is a major part of what i own a bike for and i don't want to be that paranoid about the bike all the time.
People who steal bikes are at fault no one else.
Yes i know in this day and age its stupid to believe you can leave anything around and expect it to still be there, i am not that niave.
However, the point is just because i could steal something does not give me the right to do so.
Old 09-Dec-2005, 13:08
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
My bike is worth over £10k and my FC insurance in London for that bike is just over £500 - I wouldn't be without even if it wasn't compulsory.
Old 09-Dec-2005, 13:29
Big Twin

Mood: www.zeitgeistmovie.com The Truth they dont want you to know.
RCA drives a modified subaru, of course he`s bitter...

Have you seen what every subaru driver looks like???

[Edited on 9-12-2005 by Bubbles]
Old 09-Dec-2005, 13:50
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
I think France is a great place with far better attitudes and freedom in a lot of cases than here, and they'll not lie down and accept some of the cr*p we put up with.

France, like virtually every other country has its fair share of theiving scum bags.

As for fully comp, i pay less than £500 for 3 bikes so don't think its too bad. My postcode is fairly highly rated being in a big city rather than out in the sticks.

As for security, i've tried to make my place very secure, but when out and about always try and keep the bike in sight, use a good disc lock, plus its alarmed and dataged.

There always will be times when the bike will be out of sight, but try and pick a parking place carefully, but also carry a shortened top qaulity ALMAX chain so we can lock 2 bikes together to stop them being lifted into a van.

ALMAX are the only people who make chains that can't be bolt cropped, i've seen them do it to 3 of my chains, supposed top of the range Abus granite stuff when testing.

I've also tested the ALMAX chain with the aid of the fire brigade, with their jaws of life hydraulic bolt croppers and the use of my mates engineering place so i know the stuff is GOOD. ALMAX chains are the best and that whats goes on my bikes.

I know there are ways of cutting anything, but i'm sure as hell not going to broadcast this info; but bolt croppers are the most used method because its quick and quiet. Villians do not want to take too long or attract attention to themselves. Always lock your bike to something secure so it can't just be lifted into a van.

I speak from bitter experience having had 2 bikes nicked in the past, but also had the very fortunate and incredibly rare pleasure of introducing the thief to hospital food, when he fell over by accident.
Old 09-Dec-2005, 13:52
Mille

Mood: He's not happy {:o( He's back at sea!
Quote:
or then again, is it the primary school teacher who should have instilled a better understanding of right and wrong in little Johnny?

Whoa there. Try parents first. Right and wrong is instilled in the first years of life. If it ain't there by year 5 then it's a devil of a job to sort it.

No names, real incident a few years ago in a northern town.
Kid in wifes class was sick, phone parents. Got 'Dad' on mobile, kid ill please pick up, 'Dad' turns up pi55ed takes sick kid back to pub and sits him in the bar with a bucket to be sick in. Do they bother to turn up to parent evenings? No.
Do they bother to pick kid up from school? No, Grandpa does. 'Dad still in the pub! Mother? Same caring attitude.
Same kid, beats up others in school, parents in, what happens? Kid goes to special school for behavioural problems, but school closing thanks to 'inclusive' agenda of crack pot govt. Kid back again with one to one carer, but only a 1 1/2 days a week in half days due to lack of money in Education budget. Wife (teacher) has to deal with consequences. Read bruised legs and general mayhem. Repeat through years 6 to 9.
Fast forward a few years. Same kid now in High School, gets expelled in first year of attendance, repeat in other years until forced into sink school down the road.
Kid now has criminal record and is well known to the Rozzers. Drugs, you name it.

So don't bl00dy well tell me it's the primary school teacher coz it effin well is not.

Ains.
Old 09-Dec-2005, 14:48
RCA

Quote:
Originally posted by Bubbles
RCA drives a modified subaru, of course he`s bitter...

Have you seen what every subaru driver looks like???

You gave you that picture of me? I've lost weight since then.