Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 25-Jun-2006, 12:25
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Dataloggers

I'm thinking of using a datalogger to monitor the fuelling of my race bike. I'm toying with the idea of fitting O2 sensors in the exhausts and air temp sensors on the chassis and, then using the output to optimise the power commander set up between races and after practice.

I figured if I got enough data gathered at various times through the year then I could come up with a few optimised maps that I could switch between as and when necessary.

Has anyone got any experience of some decent reasonable cost loggers for this sort of thing. It's a nice little off-season project for the electronics engineer in me.
Old 25-Jun-2006, 13:04
500SD

Mood: head down
ive got a system fitted to my bike that would interest you ....
it self-maps and reads from both Lambda sensors
Old 25-Jun-2006, 13:11
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
i started looking for a datalogger for suspension last year, never really made much progress as it seemed like you need one which takes lots of samples and a bit more than the basic features like the Aimsport or VR2 and they end up getting expensive. both of those might work for engine stuff but i wanted to add pots for fork, rear shock and bike lean angle I'm with the guys who do all our DH mountain race bike datalogging at the end of next week so intended to check out their system and see if it was possible to get a system done cheaply for the basic stuff i wanted, will let you know what i find out Nige.
Old 25-Jun-2006, 14:11
Big Twin

Mood: Not so broke any more !!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo
i started looking for a datalogger for suspension last year, never really made much progress as it seemed like you need one which takes lots of samples and a bit more than the basic features like the Aimsport or VR2 and they end up getting expensive. both of those might work for engine stuff but i wanted to add pots for fork, rear shock and bike lean angle I'm with the guys who do all our DH mountain race bike datalogging at the end of next week so intended to check out their system and see if it was possible to get a system done cheaply for the basic stuff i wanted, will let you know what i find out Nige.

That sounds interesting keep us posted please
Old 25-Jun-2006, 16:24
Big Twin

Mood: Hmmm Conference season
Haynes do a manual on building, installing and using dataloggers, I just ordered it from amazon..
Glyn
Old 25-Jun-2006, 17:13
Big Twin

Mood: Not so broke any more !!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter916
Haynes do a manual on building, installing and using dataloggers, I just ordered it from amazon..
Glyn

Whats the name of the book or can i just search the haynes site ?

Found one !
Competition Car Data Logging , is that the one your talking about ?

Last edited by Totto : 25-Jun-2006 at 17:16.
Old 25-Jun-2006, 18:05
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Nige,

There was a guy that used to post on here that was working on custom maps for the 4V Dukes - from memory he's Newcastle way and I think his company is 'Turbopac's' ??? - could be worth checking out.

I met him at Croft a few times last year and he was really knowledgeable and friendly.

* Spag headers - sorry mate, mine are now on the bike ready for MOT tomorrow (hopefully) - just as well you didnt measure them as they didnt fit spot on and needed quite a bit of persuasion!!!

Good luck - Frank
Old 25-Jun-2006, 19:10
Big Twin

Mood: Hmmm Conference season
yea thats the one, Car based but im sure it can be related to 2 wheels
Glyn
Old 26-Jun-2006, 00:01
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
I just did this on my new race bike, twpd. After quite an exhaustive search, I chose the AIM Mychron 3 Gold which has 4 analogue channels. I use them for throttle position, airbox pressure, exhaust temp, and lambda. As I am sure you'll know, to measure A/F ratio you need a wide-band lambda sensor and an amplifier to produce a 0-5 V signal that you can log. Most of these are for cars and tend to be quite big and far more complicated than you really need. I got my sensor and amplifier from an Oz company (http://wbo2.com/2c0/default.htm). It's simple, small, and reasonably price.

If you want further details, send me a U2U.