Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-Sep-2004, 12:34
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
Oil Change

Need to change the oil on the bike and this will be my first go.

Is it as straightforward as I think:

Remove sump plug and drain oil replace plug
remove filter
replace filter
refill with oil.

do i need any special tools to remove filter?
what type of oil? fully synthetic I am assuming?
How much is the filter?

sorry for all the questions folks, not very mechanically minded, but trying to learn
Old 13-Sep-2004, 12:56
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Yes thats virtually it. There are several techniques.. I prefer to....

run the bike, or change the oil after a run. Let the bike stand so its warm enough for the oil to flow freely, but not too cold, before removing the drain plug. Mind your hands!! Once removed, you could even let it drain overnight to get every last bit out.

You may well need a special tool (ooh er) to remove the filter, you can get them from halfords for a nominal fee. There are of course several types of these, i use a strap wrench, but you can use the grip type successfully.

When replacing the filter, prime it, ie fill it up with oil before screwing it on, and wipe a little oil on the sealing ring to aid tightening it up. Do this hand F tight!
Old 13-Sep-2004, 12:57
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Oh i use Shell Advance 15-50 oil.
Old 13-Sep-2004, 13:00

As Andyb says...

Alternatively, rather than buying a "Tool" for the oil filter...

Get a hammer & a screwdriver. Bash the screwdriver through the oil filter & use it to twist off the filter.

Not the prettiest method in the world but has worked well for me for years! Have tried the special tools, but not been that impressed with them IMHO.
Old 13-Sep-2004, 13:03
Big Twin

Oil - 15/40 - I use Rock Oil Guardian Semi-Synth changed every 3K

Tools - You could get the dedicated filter removal tool, or as per another thread, a big screwdriver whacked through the filter should get it off. Or a strap wrench.

It's as straightforward as you think, though you'll want to warm the engine first.

You'll probably also want to clean out the oil pickup filter, as it only adds 5 mins to the job. (It's covered in the Haynes manual)

Cost....Depends where you buy. I get my bits from Moto Rapido in Winchester, and last time (couple of weeks ago) it came to well under £40 inc VAT for oil and filter.

When re-filling watch the sight glass when you add the last half litre. A few of us here have recently over filled when adding in the recommended amount of oil.
Old 13-Sep-2004, 13:13
Ducati in my Blood

I know that the Haynes manual does not officially cover my model, does anyone know if this has changed at all from the previous models or will it be the same?

a couple of times I have looked at it for other stuff and the pictures have been different from mine which makes me a bit wary of following the instructions.
Old 13-Sep-2004, 13:21
Big Twin

As was mentioned on another thread the other day, if your bike is 2001 or later, it amy have a slightly different set-up with the pick-up filter from the pic shown in the Haynes manual. Instead of a "bolt-head" on the filter, there is a cover palte, removed with a 14mm Allen socket, and thewn the filter is behind that again. Poke the allen key socket doen in there again.

And it's a very good idea to use a Allen socket adaptor for that, and the sump plug (10mm?), rather than using an actual Allen key. You can more safely apply a bit more force than way. Don't want to round off yer hexagons!
Old 13-Sep-2004, 13:43
Ducati in my Blood

yeah tell me about rounding off

spent some time yesterday drilling out a rounded off bolt... oh what fun!!
Old 13-Sep-2004, 15:42
500SD

Mood: DOH!
Lil, you can get a filter from Halfords for £5.99, they are made by champion, well up to the job.
You must use fully synthetic oil in your R, it helps save the rockers!
Other than that just follow the manual + what the lads have said
Old 13-Sep-2004, 19:40
500SD
Bikes: 803 rs race bike

Just replaced my oil and filter last Sat.

There is a magnet on the sump plug that catches bits of crap, clean that and the fine mesh pick up filter may need cleaning.
I used the screwdriver & hammer method, the filter gets sucked on and the rubber expands which can make it a little resistant but don't worry them Ducati filters are well made.

I couldn't get all the oil out though, apparently they take 3.7 ltrs. Well at least a litre was hiding somewhere in my 748 Bip. What didn't I do, I read that the front pot rocker cover needs to come off also (after I had done the change) is this right?

[Edited on 13-9-2004 by Desmo748]