Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Sep-2005, 08:47
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
Old 15-Sep-2005, 09:05
Mille

Mood: I started life with nothing and still have most of it left
Brilliant folks, I didn't know only the mono seat was ajustable.
I would like the 999R but as this money was for a new kitchen I daren't spend any more. I also have a Trumpet speed criple which I'm keeping.
The Ponderosa is our local cafe (20mins) we also do breakie at Truckheaven Whitchurch and buttie van at Broxton A41. Look forward to seeing you there.
Keep any more good info coming.
Thanks for your help
G
Old 15-Sep-2005, 09:56
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
I've read a few reports where people reckon the 749S is the best value superbike in the Ducati range...
Old 15-Sep-2005, 11:13
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Twinfan
I've read a few reports where people reckon the 749S is the best value superbike in the Ducati range...

Yup - I think I pretty much implied that above.

About the pegs - I was close to touching side of foot on a trackday so I moved the pegs from the original (mid) position to the back. Tucks your legs under a bit more, but soon got used to it. If I was doing some long distances I might consider moving them back again for the trip. I do prefer them in that position for riding though.

Oh, and I am 6 foot, 14 st. The rear shock is a little on the soft side, the sag is a little too much. Going to see if a bit more preload wil solve it but at worst might need a stronger spring. I've ridden it like that for 2 years though on road and track (8 track days this year) and frankly I can't really fault it.

As Keith says, the mono is the only one that has adjustable seat position. I wanted that when I started looking at 749/999, but the one I test rode was a bip and it felt fine. The bip has the seat in the "mid position" of the mono adjustable range. (or so I was told). THe pegs are adustable through a range of positions on both models.
Old 15-Sep-2005, 12:42
Big Twin

Mood: High as a kite!
Quote:
Originally posted by Twinfan
Sounds like your bip was originally a mono??? I'm sure only monos have moveable seats...

Bugger,ignore anything i say in future.I won't tell you,why it's too stupid
Old 15-Sep-2005, 13:16
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
Don't tell me - you converted yours!!!!
Old 15-Sep-2005, 13:53
Big Twin

The mono's subframe is a lighter aluminium affair, not meant to take the weight of a pillion. It is also shorter, as I found when I put a (cheapy) mono seat unit on for track day use.

If you were to unlock and lift the pillion pad on the bip and look at the 2 socket head screws at the back that hold the seat unit down to the subframe, you will find it hard to imagine how the bip seat unit can move anywhere.

Having said that .... I know of (and seen myself) one 2003 749 that has a ROUND swingarm pivot hole instead of the usual oval one. Considering that, then I guess there could have been odd variations in frame/subframe design. :P
Old 15-Sep-2005, 17:47
Mille

Mood: I started life with nothing and still have most of it left
Even more great info, thanks.
Next question; Rode 749 today and felt great but clutch was real heavy even compared with the older Dukes I've had. Is this the norm on them all?
Last and not least are there any recalls / mods needed for the 749s as this is looking favouite.
Cheers
G
Old 15-Sep-2005, 17:55
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
The 749S I test-rode had a clutch as light as a feather, same as my 999S I actually bought, but then I'm used to the heavy sod that's on my 750ie.

Neither bike will disappoint you - I just wanted the cubes cos I can be lazy about gear changes when bimbling.
Old 15-Sep-2005, 18:03
Big Twin

Clutch weight does seem to vary, guess it depends on what model/year it is. There are various aftermarket clutch slave cylinders that will offer a lighter action. I think our very own Nelly at Cornerspeed does one, so I'd recommend that. Cost around a £100 I think, but go and look.
http://www.cornerspeed.co.uk

Recalls - there was one for the oil cooler, and another for a clip to keep a cable out of the steering stop. Those were on 2003 models though so if you are looking at 05 shouldn't be a problem. Don't think there is anything else.