Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 02-Aug-2004, 11:28
Mille

Mood: good
Bike fallen over part 3

Thanks for all the help and suggestions (both to bike and girlfriend!) I'll give u an update on my situation now!

Firstly the bike... Well the leak turned out to be coming from the bracket near the seat that the bolt goes through to hold the tank in place. Some araldite I was informed would be the best solution and whilst sounding a bit DIY it seems to have done the job! No more leak, so just need to clean up the frame, gear pedal, stand etc so it won't stink of petrol anymore. Also, the rubber that goes around the gear pedal came off - I don't spose anyone has a spare or are they easy to get hold of??

The clutch cover has straightened out fine so thats OK too now. I'm going to get the fairing repaired/touched up next month (when i have some money!), and may get the mirrors sprayed too. Unless anyone thinks it would be cheaper to buy a pair of painted yellow ones??

Secondly the girlfriend. I did report it to the police, then i changed my mind, went soft I guess! Feelings make u do silly things sometimes, when they said press charges I totally changed my mind. I spoke to her later on and she apologized and said she didn't mean to do so much damage.

Oh well, IF I get back with her, then at least we've learnt a lesson. I'm not gonna text anyone else (I'll delete them straight away if i do ; ) and she won't push my bike over again! She didn't realize these things are so bloody expensive (and delicate).

By the way, does anyone think that a tank should come apart and leak from the bike falling over? I would say it should stand more impact than that?!!
Old 02-Aug-2004, 11:34
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
The whole weight of the tank, which is quite heavy when full, is only supported in place by the pin at the front and the bolt at the rear on that bracket.

If the pin comes out as the bike goes over, the only thing holding it in place is the bolt through that bracket. This is going to be under a lot of strain, so no wonder the bracket was the source of the leak.

As for a gear rubber, part number 7641 0111A is the one you want - can't be more than a couple of quid!
Old 02-Aug-2004, 11:50
Mille

OK, I'll ring up and get one, I could use some old bike inner tube cut to fit in the meantime....!

Thanks
Old 02-Aug-2004, 12:01
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
You probably don't need anything there anyway, it's just to save claims from people who wear through their expensive motorcycle boots!
Old 02-Aug-2004, 12:14
DSC Club Member
500SD

Jody, have you made sure the bolts holding the tank pin are secure? It will ruin your day should one fall into the horizontal bellmouth!!
Old 02-Aug-2004, 12:32
Mille

Yes we took the pin off to straighten it out, and then bolted it back on nice and tight. I thought it looked a bit delicate under there.... Gonna go and pick it up tonight and go for a blast to test it all out, I've only been without it a few days but it feels like ages!
Old 02-Aug-2004, 12:57
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
Good to hear you're getting it all sorted bike repair wise but , "IF I get back with her, then at least we've learnt a lesson." Are you sure? Don't you hold a grudge like any normal human being? Must be true love then. Get something in writing from her next time - some kind of prenuptual damage limitation clause - I'll draft one for you, if you like. (not properly qualified to do so but I'm sure I can come up with something that would scare the pants of her if she did it again).
Old 02-Aug-2004, 13:11
Mille

No, i just won't leave my bike round hers unless in a locked garage she hasn't got keys to! I know she may not trust me for a while, but I'll never leave her with my bike! What if she thinks i've done something.

In fact, I just got a car too, i think i'll hide that round the corner when i go see her too...

I do hold a grudge yes, but she's gonna pay for the fairings anyway, and me and a mate fixed the tank, etc.
Old 02-Aug-2004, 13:23
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
What bike is it again? I'm about to post in Market Place for trackday farings to fit 996S. Would your old ones fit my bike? I might be interested in buying them off you - help towards your Interflora fund.
Old 02-Aug-2004, 13:44
Big Twin

Jody she seems more of a bunnyboiler than a certain ex of mine and THATS saying something - just ask a couple of peeps on here

I'd stay well away, jealous possessive psychos are definitely NOT where it's at!

Oh, and if she can't even afford to pay for the repairs then shes deffo not worth getting back together with

Glad the leak is sorted tho