Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 07-Aug-2006, 22:37
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
which 999r??

not that I am in the market...but if I were which is the best to have?

Also, anyone done back to back with K5/6, R1 etc and can describe differences?

looking at mags, not much in power (maybe 12-16bhp except ZX10!!) and torque more on R, so which rides/handles/feels better??
Old 08-Aug-2006, 07:55
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
I take it the figures your'e quoting are the official ones........as up until recently they were measured differently between continents!...(Ducati have now changed this, which is one of the reasons you see a rise in the hp of the 2005 model!)
Anyone that talks about power of a ducati needs to experience a 999cc motor at full chat..the torquey pull of a 916 with the revvy nature of a 748.....absolutely awesome!

As far as comparative performance it is there to see at a track day, when exiting a corner as you would expect the duke gets on songmuch sooner as you feel that torque punch you forward whilst the inl4s are waiting for things to happen as they get up to their 11000-15000 revs.

In my humble experience i dont think there is that much in it bike wise..performance is much more about rider imput.
Old 08-Aug-2006, 17:59
MotoGP God

so which year is best in value terms? most goodies? highest spec?
Old 08-Aug-2006, 21:29
Mille

Mood: just love my slipper clutch
i sold my gsxr1000 for 999r 04 the gsxr is a bit quicker in a stright line but thats the boring bit.my mates have got k6 and zx10 unless we are on mway they got no way of keeping with the R on the road as the duc pulls like mad out of the corners it also seems to be rock solid going into the corners the harder you use the brakes the better they get where the suzukis seem to get worse the harder you use them. the 999r 04 has got to be the best value bike out there in my oppinion my cousin has a 996r and when he has a go on mine he cant get over just how good it is i think every 996/998 owner should try one?
Old 08-Aug-2006, 21:33
everton

Quote:
Originally Posted by clint 999R
my cousin has a 996r and when he has a go on mine he cant get over just how good it is i think every 996/998 owner should try one?

Amen brother!
Old 08-Aug-2006, 21:45
MotoGP God

I guess all I gotta do then is find some mug...oops....I mean.....kind sole to let me have a go at theirs
Old 08-Aug-2006, 22:35
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Come to Silverstone on the 15th.............id let you go on mine!
Old 09-Aug-2006, 00:15
Mille

Mood: don't do moody
Paul - I'd go with Clint's view on the 2004 999r probably being the best value/best buy - this year saw the introduction of the revised black alloy swing arm, pushed out more bhp (about 130 claimed, but 'old' ie genuine method of calculation, unlike the 2005 figure) than the 2003 model and as importantly from the value perspective, are old enough to have generally had all the necessary bling added and more (ie open clutch cover, carbon hugger, heat guard & cam covers, replacementof mechano set no.plate bracket, R&G crash bungs, bubble screen, race filler cap, etc, all for £7,500-£9,000 less than the poor sod who bought it new at £19,995 or thereabouts!

Funnily enough, could be describing my bike. You'd be welcome to have a blat if your carrying the necessary insurance cover/got a fat cheque book in case of hurt...maybe at Cadwell if you're going? I'm not yet, but am beginning to look for for a van share to do the Monday session. Come to think of it, drive me up there and I'll have no choice but to hand over the key.
Old 09-Aug-2006, 12:18
MotoGP God

Andy - fatastic offer...but I'm more of a road rider and hesitate on my sps on track never mind a 999R whioch wasnt mine!

Ricco - not doing cadders, on hols, but maybe some other time on a sun meet....and as you know I am smooth and safe