Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 16-Oct-2006, 23:47
Mille

Mood: Ride with me, Ground Shaking comes as standard..
Wink Why does there appear to be this hatred?

So not wishing to bring up too much of this seemingly age old argument, nor do i wish to cause any conflict, i just want to try and understand. Hopefully someone can enlighten me?

I have read many a harsh word spoken from other owners and i cannot just get my noggin around it.

Basically why do so many people hate the 749/999 series bikes?
Journalists, other bikers, fellow Ducati owners.

Aesthetics seems to be the main point of concern yet, in my humble opinion from the first time i saw the pictures i absolutely loved the way these bikes looked. Now beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that b*lls, however the majority of people who sto to have a look generally say,

" you know when i first saw these i didn't like it, but i really really like them now"

how come? is it down to the iconic 916/748 et all range? so the immediate impact of the 749/999 range was a let down? People still rave about the looks of the predecessor which they have every right to as it was a stunner, but it was always going to be superceded, and i do believe whatever ended up replacing it was going to be hated on... much in the same way that whatever the 1098 looks like will be loved as it follows something that wasn't.
I hope the 1098 looks great, i've no doubt the 916 etc owners will say it is an improvement over "our" range but still not as pretty as "their" range...

i really believe it was the journalists that started it and everyone felt they had to follow along so they didnt seem like the odd ones out, i mean actually sit back and admire a 749/999 the next time you see one, owners alike, actually just sit and look at it, and i think you will notice a line you havent before or something to make you think, "hmm actually this is a really nice bike" (if you didn't think so already)

Personally i love them all. They all look great past and present, and if i could afford it i'd have at least one of each model. I think bikes are great, and i love riding, but im in love with Ducatis, as a whole...

Spread the love everyone....
Old 16-Oct-2006, 23:56
everton

I think you'll find that Duke loving journos also love the 749/999.

The great thing is that as soon as the next generation 1089 (or whatever number it is) gets released and everyone realises the convergence of the new Ducati styling with that of the UJM the 749/999 will soon become a collectors item. The Ducatisti will reject the UJM styling and the 748/916/996/998 is so common ergo there will be a rarity value in the 749/999.

Of course I hope the new release doesn't spell the death knell of Ducati
Old 16-Oct-2006, 23:57
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: R1200RT F800GS. Hopefully another Ducati soon

it was just like that when Ford switched from the Cortina to the Sierra !!
Old 17-Oct-2006, 00:18
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
I'm not going to be hypocritical here - looks wise I dont mind the 749/999, but I just dont love it in the way that I have a passion for some of the other bikes that ducati have knocked out (I actually prefer the 888 aesthetically now over the 916 etc so I must be getting old !).

That said, I think the saddest thing in my experience is that a good deal of the people who knock the 749/999 havent even cocked a leg over one.

If they did, they would realise, that dynamically, the bikes are a quantum leap over the 748/9** particularly on the road.

I've also been lucky enough to ride quite a few 749's/999's on the track and IMO they are quite a bit easier to ride fast than the bikes they replace.

Nat
Old 17-Oct-2006, 20:27
Mille

Mood: In danger of scaring myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattyboy
That said, I think the saddest thing in my experience is that a good deal of the people who knock the 749/999 havent even cocked a leg over one.

If they did, they would realise, that dynamically, the bikes are a quantum leap over the 748/9** particularly on the road.

I've also been lucky enough to ride quite a few 749's/999's on the track and IMO they are quite a bit easier to ride fast than the bikes they replace.

Nat

Well I have owned a 748SPS, a 998S and two 999S's and now ride an S4RS (waiting to see what the 1098 is like before I jump ship) and having cocked a leg on them all, as you put it, I can honestly say that the most rewarding of these was the 748SPS, despite the 999 supposedly being a better bike to ride. Maybe I am the odd one out.
Old 17-Oct-2006, 00:20
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by YMFB
it was just like that when Ford switched from the Cortina to the Sierra !!

Dam right, I do remember that, and didn't Vauxhall capitalise on it-the Cortina was the de-facto company car, when they brought out the Sierra Ford lost most of that market overnight to the Cavalier-which in all honesty wasn't a bad car anyway. Now Sierra's are considered a classic-whereas the Mk4 Cortina was and IMHO still is a shed-MK1 and MK2 Cortina's though-now that's a different proposition, even the 'coke bottle' MK3 was a stylish car.

John-showing his age.

Growing old-disgracefully!
Old 17-Oct-2006, 07:23
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
I had a great ride on my 999S on sunday.
I left the bike outside my garage while I fetched the keys to put it away,....I swear I looked back 3 times at that bike,...what an awesome thing.
I love 'em.
Old 17-Oct-2006, 07:31
WSB Hero

Mood: No point in working long hours to die early
They are all great, just that the 916 was iconic.
Old 18-Oct-2006, 09:42
500SD
Bikes: multistrada, 748R/916

Mood: one very coool cat!
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogalman

...and with that bike ducati did something that would always be hard to folllow - the 749/999 is a much better bike to ride - on the design/aesthetics front it was let down - in my opinion by small details, but overall was good looking. if they made subtle changes they could make a good bike look great. for example they ommitted the top fairing vents in '05 which was good and if they smoothed out the headlight (to look like the multistrada) and kicked the side fairing join line at an angle to run into the fairing this would help too. the seat unit and rest of it are great - the detail maybe not quite.
Old 10-Nov-2006, 01:08
888 at Last !!!

Mood: On the up
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogalman

Spot on!!