Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Apr-2005, 13:27
Big Twin

Mood: My K5 Rocks !!!!
Mate... make some more noise and lots of it Give them a deadline and stick to it and tell them you want it resolved or else... Have a chat with MCN they might be keen on hearing you problems... Hope they sort it for you soon mate
Old 27-Apr-2005, 13:30
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
I don't want to go around shouting the odds as it's not my style. I was hoping something could be sorted amicably for all parties. That's still my aim
Old 27-Apr-2005, 13:33
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally posted by Twinfan
Bike was 9 months old, had covered 1600 miles, and recieved it's 625 mile service as indicated in the Ducati service schedule. Any faults like the ones you suggest are either the dealer's fault at service time or the factory's fault at assembly time.

Unfortunately, that doesn't mean anything. It's a bit like an MOT - it only means that the car passed the test on that particular day at that particular testing station and does not guarantee it's road "worthyness".

For all Ducati know, you could have left the bike out in your front garden between the first service and when you had your accident. The brakes could well have seized or the pins corroded, or vampire mice ate the brake lines, or anything to cause the brakes to lock as they did. This is why they are taking so long to check everything.

<harsh mode>
There is a section in the owner's handbook about pre-ride checks, and this is their Get-Out clause should something like the above have happened and you didn't check it before riding, as it is your responsibility.
</harsh mode>

Quote:
So one brake disc turning blue and one staying silver is normal for a braking system under normal road use? Surely to prove there wasn't a fault with the braking system is going to be difficult?

Yes, you're right in that it isn't consistent with a correctly performing brake system, but what caused that fault is what everyone wants to find out.

<harsh mode>
I think Ducati have been very generous so far in offering to replace everything to get you going again. By doing this they've made an offer, which you have declined, and so claiming for any extra expense from this point forward is going to be very tricky.

You may be lucky and it turns out to be a faulty component and they'll replace everything as a goodwill jesture. But don't be surprised if it turns out to be poor maintenance and you get left with nothing.
</harsh mode>
Old 27-Apr-2005, 13:35
Big Twin

Mood: My K5 Rocks !!!!
Quote:
I don't want to go around shouting the odds as it's not my style. I was hoping something could be sorted amicably for all parties. That's still my aim

How many more weeks Its not rocket science... Ask them whats going on and why its taken 5 weeks to look at the faulty parts
Old 27-Apr-2005, 13:56
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
I would have taken this to the press some time ago as it's the most proven way of getting a response out of any publicity-sensitive company.

Don't be shy, write up the incident in the most sensationalist way you can imagine (read a copy of the daily mail for preparation) and badger every motoring journo in the UK to publish. Point the journos in the direction of this board for corroborating stories and they'll have a field day.

In the meantime forward your article to both DUK and Freddy Minolo as food for thought. If you're vigilant I'm sure they will come round to your way of thinking.

Do not lay down and take this, you deserve a full rebuild or a new bike, not some new brake bits and a fob-off.

Ali
Old 27-Apr-2005, 14:27
500SD

Mood: Out with the grey....in with the satin black
Quote:
Originally posted by ali
I would have taken this to the press some time ago as it's the most proven way of getting a response out of any publicity-sensitive company.

Don't be shy, write up the incident in the most sensationalist way you can imagine (read a copy of the daily mail for preparation) and badger every motoring journo in the UK to publish. Point the journos in the direction of this board for corroborating stories and they'll have a field day.

In the meantime forward your article to both DUK and Freddy Minolo as food for thought. If you're vigilant I'm sure they will come round to your way of thinking.

Do not lay down and take this, you deserve a full rebuild or a new bike, not some new brake bits and a fob-off.

Ali

I agree with Ali. Make your fight public. Speak up, otherwise I can see this situation being swept under the carpet.
Old 27-Apr-2005, 14:42
Big Twin

Quote:
For all Ducati know, you could have left the bike out in your front garden between the first service and when you had your accident. The brakes could well have seized or the pins corroded, or vampire mice ate the brake lines, or anything to cause the brakes to lock as they did. This is why they are taking so long to check everything.

So does it state in the handbook that "this vehicle must be garaged at all times in a humidity controlled environment"??? This is a vehicle designed to be used for transportation, in all weathers if necessary. If leaving it outside in all weathers for a few months (which I didn't!!) caused such a problem, it would not be "fit for purpose" and therefore I would entitled to a replacement or refund.

Quote:
<harsh mode>
There is a section in the owner's handbook about pre-ride checks, and this is their Get-Out clause should something like the above have happened and you didn't check it before riding, as it is your responsibility.
</harsh mode>

Am I supposed to strip and rebuild the brakes before riding then? That's a new one on me. Does anyone else do that?

Quote:
I think Ducati have been very generous so far in offering to replace everything to get you going again

They have been generous, that's true. However I want to know what the fault was before the bike is repaired. It could be a design fault, they could put the parts on and I could have another accident. I don't think it's unreasonable to want to know what the problem was before having it fixed.
Old 27-Apr-2005, 15:59
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
So does it state in the handbook that "this vehicle must be garaged at all times in a humidity controlled environment"??? This is a vehicle designed to be used for transportation, in all weathers if necessary. If leaving it outside in all weathers for a few months (which I didn't!!) caused such a problem, it would not be "fit for purpose" and therefore I would entitled to a replacement or refund.

No, but it does state that you should check the operation of the controls before riding - and that's enough to cover their asses.
Old 27-Apr-2005, 17:20
Montjuic

I have to say that i'm 100% behind Twinfan on this one. Break failure on a motorbike can be catastrophic, and can result in loss of life. Sure Brembo and Ducati don't want to risk any bad press with an admission that they have (accidently) used faulty parts, but what about the individual? All this stuff about the onus being on the rider to check every component on the bike before riding it, is laughable, and i'm sure, pretty bloody annoying to read for Twinfan. My bike was less than 1 year old, when my brakes seized, I had no warning, I don't have a team of technicians to strip the bike down everytime I ride it. I use my bike everyday, so for sure, it's been out in the rain, by hey, it was designed for this. Ducati replaced the parts on my bike as a gesture of good will, but I have been in agony with a trapped nerve since the accident, that DEFINITELY wasn't my fault, although I do admit to not stripping and rebuilding the bike before I took it out - so my fault then I guess?
Old 27-Apr-2005, 17:42
Big Twin

Quote:
it does state that you should check the operation of the controls before riding - and that's enough to cover their asses

Rubbish. That means they would never have to pay out for any mechanical failure that caused an accident. Legally, that can never be the case.

Quote:
All this stuff about the onus being on the rider to check every component on the bike before riding it, is laughable, and i'm sure, pretty bloody annoying to read for Twinfan

Yes it is.