BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
I'd say that's fooked Henry
Old 06-May-2005, 12:12
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by JPM
I'd say that's fooked Henry

Don't beat about the bush do you mate! Let a bloke down gently ....

:P

I think I'll clean it up, dry it and see how it goes. Trying to get hold of part dept at Italia now.

[Edited on 6-5-2005 by HW]
Old 06-May-2005, 12:15
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Quote:
Originally posted by HW
I think I'll pass on the exchange for the 325 single ... at the moment.

This is the state of my coil - is it supposed to be an insulating material under that crud or is it metal? Looks like it's jus come off the Titanic!

Very wet in there too.

That looks very similar to Deeseereds knackered coil DL showed me last week...

take your camera and post a pic of differences between old useless one and modified version please. is it possible to get this kind of stuff posted onto the technical area of site??
Old 06-May-2005, 12:15
BSB Star

I don't, nay can't do subtle ask Lily
Old 06-May-2005, 12:34
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by JPM
I don't, nay can't do subtle ask Lily

I will, on Sunday.

It lives anyway. Cleaned with WD40 (for cleaning purposes before Shazaam pounces on me about that!), and then a rag down the hole (left the spark plug in place) ... it came out covered in rusty crud. Sprayed some Wurth Silicone stuff in and then cleaned the connector the same way.

Starts and idles fine, and goes like the clappers (scared a few pheasants half to death)

Not sure whether I should still be hassleing Italia for a new one or not. It is obviously very corroded, and if there is a new type then I should really have one. (always got to have the latest thing!)

I agree that we should have stuff posted on the technical section.

[Edited on 6-5-2005 by HW]
Old 06-May-2005, 12:38
BSB Star

Glad it's working, I'd be tempted to give it a good ride for 30 mins to an hour, or maybe just leave it running for a good while, mine starting breaking down after it was really hot....

Might be worth cleaning the plug as I am sure it's probably fouled up a bit with not firing etc also.
Old 06-May-2005, 12:48
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by JPM
Glad it's working, I'd be tempted to give it a good ride for 30 mins to an hour, or maybe just leave it running for a good while, mine starting breaking down after it was really hot....

Might be worth cleaning the plug as I am sure it's probably fouled up a bit with not firing etc also.

Good point. The only reason I didn't take the plug out was because I couldn't see down the hole. With the colour of the rag when I ran it down the hole I was concerned about possibility of pushing crud into the hole when I put the plug back in.

Just spoke to Italia. If it fails then they will replace under warranty. Water ingress and corrossion is not something he seemed concerned about if it is still working. I am going to take it for a run this evening, and again tomorrow, and if it still causes grief after being cleaned up then they will replace it. Either way, I should be fit and on the road for Sunday and Monday.

I am thinking that if even with the modified V piece in front of it it gets that much water in there, then prehaps some kind of flap over it to keep the crap out might be in order.

Cheers for the advice guys.
Old 06-May-2005, 15:46
Big Twin

Being from Electrical background, I'd say that the R&D department in Ducati were probably on half term when the coil was designed, or perhaps they just waved it through with a half hearted glance at the material.

No doubt someone will advise as to why the following won't work (Shazaam or even KeefyB super spark)
as with lots of transformer and motor windings (which are subject to high temp), why not put a liberall coating of Shelac on the plug pack (coils) before replacing them in the hole?

or would that rob the manufacturer of repeat business?

FYI - AA geezers have a habit of carrying three different types of the same plug packs for Renault, Audi/VW, and some other vehicle I can't remember the name of. Apparently Renault have the same problem with their system.
Old 06-May-2005, 16:11
BSB Star

What took you so long Alan?

I see Henry has joined the OSC
Old 06-May-2005, 16:14
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by JPM
What took you so long Alan?

I see Henry has joined the OSC

Yeah I thought I would use it for a day or two as Alan was kind enough to send it.

You'll know if it's all working OK if I turn up on Sunday lunchtime.

Actually, I will probably have moaned on about it some more here before that anyway!

Was wondering why the hell that sleeve is not stainless? I smeared red rubber grease around the o-ring in the hope of keeping water out but I think regular preventative maintenance will be the answer for the future.