Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 09-Apr-2014, 14:06
Bikes: ST2, Custom Harley and a Fightered Exup

Mood: pretty chilled. Even when it comes to the Duc giving me Grief :)
non starter

Hi folks.
I had the SpyBall AM/8510 fitted to my ST2.
Took it off because it didn't work and kept flattening the battery plus the four indicators would stay on even with the key out the ignition.

So out it came.

The unit sits under the seat and was spliced into the loom next to the computer. So I cut the wires, fired the bike up and it still ran ok, I then switched it off, tidied the wiring up and tried it again. It was struggling to fire so I shook the bike from side to side and it ran ok. After killing it again and then trying to start it, she won't start! It'll turn over all day long but wont fire up, pump primes up when the ignition is switched on,took the plugs out and they're wet, flushed the tank and fuel lines and put fresh fuel in it, plugs are sparking ok ish. I have a new set of plugs which I'm going to try tonight.
Is there a separate immobiliser or something elsewhere on the bike that isn't letting it start?
Anyone else had a similar problem?
Thanx in advance
Dave
Old 09-Apr-2014, 21:38

Ok. Quick update.. believe it or not. Two new spark plugs and she's purring like a pregnant lioness��
All the hard work and pulling the bike to bits was not all in vain tho. Gave me a chance to get intimate with her and she got a good going over, basically a really good service. I'll put her together tomorrow night, mot her and take her for her 6000 dealer service. Yep, an R regarding with not even 6k on the clock! Genuine 6k because I acquired her from a work colleague.
Ride safe guys
Old 10-Apr-2014, 11:57
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Glad it worked out!

Well worth checking around the big multicore connector next to the headlight, bad corrosion point apparently.

Cheers - Frank
Old 10-Apr-2014, 12:57

Actually Frank, I haven't checked that yet but I did notice on the push connectors that there was a 'Greening' of the spades which I dealt with via cleaning and a light application of vaseline. Before I stick the plastic back on tonight I'll check the multi connector.
Thanks for the heads up
Old 10-Apr-2014, 18:14
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Many Ducati's have a multi plug connecter that carries a permanent live feed, they are for ever coroding so worth keeping a eye on and cleaning every so often.
This also applies to the multi way connectors on the clocks on many models and some of the corroded PCB tracks I've seen in Monster and SS clocks is getting beyond a joke.

Trying to keep the water out helps

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook