Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 23-Aug-2003, 20:42
Montjuic

Which Monster ?

I am looking to buy a monster for use through much of the winter.Which is the model/cc to go for.Don't really want to run to S4 or anything that new.So its 600/750 or 900.Will be a carb model.
So any advice/experiences would be very helpful.
Old 23-Aug-2003, 22:05
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
If you are going to run a Monster through the winter,you will need a fender extender and some sort of belly pan.Its pretty cruel to use them as a winter bike as the engine is exposed to the elements and can get very cruddy real soon.
Also the carbed models are prone to carb icing in cold weather.Get one that has the tee piece that diverts hot oil around the carb bowls.Its not the best solution,so be prepared to shell out for some octane booster for the fuel.Silkolene Pro FST used to work pretty well.
The 900 motors can be pretty lumpy,especially when the carbs have iced up and the bike is spitting and farting through the exhausts.Go for a 600,or better still a 750.
Not many decent 750's around tho,we have just sold ours to another DSC member.
Old 24-Aug-2003, 13:09
Montjuic

Thanks for the info, already got a nice carbon fibre bellypan all ready to go on when i find a bike. Hadn't thought of fender extender . Was the carb de-icer a standard fitment ? I have ridden a 600 monster and although it handled well i am concerned that lack of power after riding my 996 will become an issue,although i have been told k@n, dynojet and cans would help alot.
Old 24-Aug-2003, 15:18
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Mike - any monster - except the S4R, will feel 'under powered' after your 996.

I have a 750ie - which is very underpowered when I go out with the local DSC boys - muggins here having to ride on the stop etc........ But tis 'over powered' when out with some (not a specified few) of the monsterers:P

As Keefy boy says - they do get rather cruddy - as being exposed to the elements.

Have you considered a riceburner as a winter hack?:P

CK
Old 24-Aug-2003, 18:15
Montjuic

Rice burner... not a chance.I will probably leave the monster home when they start gritting the roads, but rain.... well intend to make full use of the monster and prepared to maintain it and try to keep it clean.
Old 24-Aug-2003, 20:46
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
The carb icing kit was standard on most carbed Monsters with an oil cooler.Although,I think some real early bikes (900's) did'nt have the mod and it was offered as an optional extra.
Old 29-Aug-2003, 23:02
Montjuic

Well gone and bought one.Its a 600, 2000/W, only done 3100 miles and almost as new. Goes quite well but sooo quiet will have to remedy this i think....So gonna try to find some used cans and fit dynojet kit as first upgrade...oh well here we go again.