Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 26-Jul-2006, 10:52
Mille

Mood: twitching
b0ll0cks
i was just about to type a general question on this matter. I am having the same sort of problems ENOUMOUS flat spot with spluttering around 4k to 4500 and then the bike picks up with vengeance. Off throttle it pinks when slowing in a gear. But 1st thing in the morning when everything is still warming up...no problems what’s so ever?.
Old 26-Jul-2006, 14:02
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
james - dont they ALL have a flat spot at 4k? I have an FIM and mine still does...
Old 26-Jul-2006, 14:07
Mille

Mood: :( broken
Quote:
Originally Posted by james81273
b0ll0cks
i was just about to type a general question on this matter. I am having the same sort of problems ENOUMOUS flat spot with spluttering around 4k to 4500 and then the bike picks up with vengeance. Off throttle it pinks when slowing in a gear. But 1st thing in the morning when everything is still warming up...no problems what’s so ever?.

I've just had this with mine.

Have you fitted open pipes/filter without fitting a power commander/FIM eprom?

In my case the fueling was out.

The nice man at moto rapido sorted it out for me.

Crust
Old 27-Jul-2006, 10:47
Mille

thank bu66ery for that. weird thing is it does it only when the bikes around 190f so till i hit traffic everything is happy. Mike from MDR said it would be a power commander to map the issue out even though it has been chipped. Not sure if its a FIM chip in their. Is it obvious when peeling back the sticker on the ECU? and DAFT question but is the EPROM light erase. ( you erase the contents of the chip by peeling back the sticker ontop of them)

the 996 has had the following done. Termis 50mm standard filters and the restrictors removed.

I guess just one of the annoying things i have to live with till i have enough ££ to through at it again?
Old 27-Jul-2006, 11:57
Mille

Mood: :( broken
Quote:
thank bu66ery for that. weird thing is it does it only when the bikes around 190f so till i hit traffic everything is happy. Mike from MDR said it would be a power commander to map the issue out even though it has been chipped. Not sure if its a FIM chip in their. Is it obvious when peeling back the sticker on the ECU? and DAFT question but is the EPROM light erase. ( you erase the contents of the chip by peeling back the sticker ontop of them)

the 996 has had the following done. Termis 50mm standard filters and the restrictors removed.

I guess just one of the annoying things i have to live with till i have enough ££ to through at it again?

are you me?

I have a 996 bip in pretty much identical spec apart from an ITG air filter in the airbox.

Mine had exactly the same huge flat area (no way was it a spot).

I tried several eproms, to no success.

The problem was that the mix was down to 1.8%, Steve at Moto Rapido could adjust it to 3.8% which is still a little on the lean side but there isnt enough adjustment to go any further.

My next step will be either an FIM or power commander and getting it mapped.

The eproms will erase in UV if you remove the sticker on the eprom itself, even in daylight if left long enough.

The FIM eprom is identifiable because it sits on a secondary daughter board of its own which plugs into the ECU.

A good setup of balance, TPS, mixture etc got mine very rideable with only a slight hesitation if given a lot of throttle at low revs.

Crust
Old 27-Jul-2006, 13:00
Mille

Talking

yea...SNAP

mike from mdr said that he has set it up with the correct fueling. Before it was running very rich which would explain why the problem wasnt so obvious.
Now its setup correctly, but has this annoyance.

granted its really only a problem when you open it up abit at 4k but seeing iam usually around there whilst riding its a bit annoying. also on part throttle in low revs it slightly back fires through the injectors...is that normal?!!!

Is the FIM module located inside the ECU? like an expansion card with ribben cable attaching the two device 1 into an eprom slot adapter the other into the FIM module? or it it external like the power commander?

I blame the s0dding EEC and there noise emissions..noisey cans save lives....officer honest

If so ..and i think this has been answered before in a thread..power commander or fim.. and... who best at setting them up in and around surrey. would do nelly but thats a bit of a trek. any issues with SIGMA? motorapido is a little ride around the m25 and then there's the question of getting back as i guess it would be a day job
Old 27-Jul-2006, 13:04
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
... who best at setting them up in and around surrey. would do nelly but thats a bit of a trek. any issues with SIGMA? motorapido is a little ride around the m25 and then there's the question of getting back as i guess it would be a day job

I had Sigma do a bunch of similar work to my 996 a few years ago. I had the grunter spec done and I can't fault his work.

I had all of this done and the bike went like a rocket ship when I got it back.

Incidentally, the gent that Neil mentions in the article - Ian, is our very own 'the old man' who posts on here and races in Desmo Due. He had the original 'grunter'.

Tetol also had a grunter.
Old 27-Jul-2006, 13:54
Mille

grunter? is that like the full monty or is it a big bore mod?
Old 27-Jul-2006, 15:17
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Dual Injectors/Single Injector Conversion

All 996's came with two injectors per cylinder. Before the 996 model, only the SP and SPS bikes had dual injectors. However, those earlier bikes use the larger P8 computer which is capable of firing the injectors sequentially, meaning that the second injector sprays only at the higher engine speeds.

The 996, on the other hand, is controlled by the smaller 1.6M computer which is incapable of firing the injectors sequentially. So the engine does not run well with both injectors firing at the same time, especially at low rpms where spray durations get too short to get good spray patterns. The fuel dribbles out.

According to FIM, dual injectors are not needed unless you're making more than 120HP, and so they have developed a single injector chip for the 996.

Read more about it here:
http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/996eproms2.html

This is a quote from FIM's site:

"We have two UltiMaps for the 996 Biposto '99/2000 model. There have been many problems with these models spitting on low throttle or cruise at low speeds. We have finally made a chip which cures the problem (type UM222), but requires that one injector be disconnected from each cylinder. This is because the 996 has two injectors hard-wired in the harness and we can't switch one off like we can with the 996SPS or early 888 computers. The benefit is that the single injector spits more cleanly at low durations than two injectors do ( because they have only half the time each) and idle and low throttle repsonse is heaps better. We remapped a 996 with this mod and the difference is incredible. We do sell a twin injector verison of the same chip (type UM221), but in most cases the UM222 works better, and is worth the effort."

http://www.fuelinmoto.com.au/

According to Brad Black:

"The UM222 single injector EPROM cures the 996 misfire that occurs when you roll the throttle open at 3,500 rpm. The UM222 is only for models fitted with strada cams, not models having SPS etc. cams. Typically it happens when you get it to 3,500 rpm. Duh duh duh duh vroom. Not 3,000 rpm. Not 4,000 rpm.

THIS IS THE ONLY MISFIRE THE UM222 SINGLE INJECTOR EPROM CURES OR IS INTENDED TO CURE."
Old 27-Jul-2006, 16:08
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Only ever ridden my 996BP with the 54mm Full system and a JHP chip and can't say I have any issues with it in the throttle response department.

I'm picking up another 996BP tomorrow afternoon, it has a 45/50mm Termi conversion and is fitted with a chip to suit, I have no idea which chip is fitted but I will be having a look over the weekend. The 40 mile ride home should give me an idea of any flat spots etc so I will report back once I know.

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook