Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Mar-2014, 15:25

Monster S4 916 fires once but will not start

Hi, my 916 Monster S4 will fire once but not run. The original fault was no spark switching within ecu. Now have tried a racing ecu and another flashed to disable immobiliser. Have tried a new timing (CPS) sensor. All relays good, wiring all checked for continuity and voltages, sensors checked, switches all checked and connectors for corrosion and continuity. So to sum up, whilst cranking it will fire once and occasionaly will fire again after 1o seconds or so if I continue to crank it. At end of my tether with it!!!
Old 27-Mar-2014, 19:53
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
The usual reason for blowing the Coil driver inside the ECU is a fault on its output, usually a dodgy coil. Have the coils been checked or changed

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 27-Mar-2014, 21:13
Big Twin

Sounds similar to the fault I had at Anglesey. Eventually backfired and set fire to the air filters . Turned out to be the air pressure sensor, the one on the header tank.

However you mention an immobilizer? does it have an alarm because that would be my first suspect.
Old 27-Mar-2014, 22:37
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlop0_1
Sounds similar to the fault I had at Anglesey. Eventually backfired and set fire to the air filters . Turned out to be the air pressure sensor, the one on the header tank.

However you mention an immobilizer? does it have an alarm because that would be my first suspect.

Neil it uses a 59M ECU with a separate OEM immobiliser. All very similar to a Class A DD bike

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 28-Mar-2014, 00:05

Air press sensor on 2001 has no electric connection. Tried stick coils. All points to CPS timing sensor but tried that too. All sensors, wiring checked. Phonic wheel checked. Re;lays checked. New flashed ecu and racing ecu tried. Good battery tried. All switches checked including sidestand etc, When cranking, fires once and if held may fire again after about 19 seconds, Tried turning back wheel in gear with plugs out also gives one spark. Tried pulling CPS out and using iron rod to trigger cps, sparks each time, Pump runs, injectors pulse once like plugs,
Old 28-Mar-2014, 07:25
Big Twin

Thanks for that for that Kev.

Only thing left for me would be to change the loom for a known working one and then start again from scratch.