Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 16-May-2003, 14:11
Montjuic

Mood: Deeply Grooved....
Monster 620sie - should I buy one?

I am contemplating a new 620sie for general ridng about and some commuting - basically, during those times where I am not getting my 'fix' on my 996s.

Having had a 996s from new, now for about 1 1/2 years and having learned the hard way about all of the intrinsic problems - I would be interested in some advice from anybody who has one of these 620 beasties.

I really like the look of it and will be taking a demo ride soon, but I do not want to shell out the readies for one if I am in for similar grief to that experienced on my 996s.

Granted, all of the problems were fixed on my 996s under warranty - and I will not be selling it, because the pro's still far outweigh the con's and the cheesy grin is still on my face, but I cannot be doing with more time off-road due to design/manufacturing problems that should have been resolved ages ago.

What are your experiences with this or similar models - people tell me that the old air cooled engine is 'bulletproof' - is this true?

Any info appreciated.

Ta. Chris.
Old 16-May-2003, 16:35
Mille

Mood: Yoi
Chris, I bought a M900 last summer to ride on the road as my 996SPS had evolved into a trackday bike. I did take a serious look at the 620 and was very imnpressed but decided that the extra money would be well spent for the extra cubes etc.

Riding a Monster is an absolute hoot as I can never believe how quickly you can turn the thing. I love the character of the 2 valve engine as well, which will also be a lot cheaper to service when the time comes.

My advice would be to go for some more cc's if you can but otherwise you'll be more than pleased with the 620.
Old 16-May-2003, 19:34
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
If looking for a commuter - buzzing round town - the 600/620ie - is ideal.
However, if having a blatt out of town, (with other bikes)you may find that the 600/620 is having to work quite hard - I know the guys who ride on the monster meets comment on this sometimes.
Why not try the 750 (ie)/800/900/1000ie's?
I find my 750ie is ideal for town & country - has to work very hard to keep with the likes of Blackbirds & 998's - but we do try!
No real probs to speak of with the newer monsters (isolated mechanical probs on forum feedback only) - except sometimes a great deal of aggressive corrosion - again in isolated cases (mainly on 2002 bikes it appears)
Best of luck!
If free - why not pop into the UKMOC 1st annual 'bash' - at Arrow Mill on Bank hol w/end - if you get there on the Sunday about 10am, you will get to pick the brains of about 60-100 - going on the 11am rideout
CK
Old 16-May-2003, 22:25
Mille

Mood: Summer at last... :-)
Topper,

Just my 2pence worth but I reckon you should try a 620 before you decide.
I reckon you will find it very wheezy compared to your 996.
You may prefer a 750/800 or even a 900/1000. The old 750's were often reported as being the best of the bunch before the new engine sizes came out.
My old M900Sie had loads of grunt and was surprisingly quick when you wanted it to be.
It depends on what you want it for of course, but while the 620 may be quick enough (eventually!) you may miss the grunt of a bigger motor.

Regards,
Mark
Old 17-May-2003, 15:27
Mille

I've also been toying with purchasing an M but probably a 900 sie if I can find one.
My 996 is now track only use (insurers won't offer me cover for the road because my protected 10 year NCB elapsed when I didn't insure a road bike for about 4 years..........a word of warning there !)
Been looking but these bikes seem short in supply specially up here north of Watford. City boys toys ??
Never mind I'll carry on looking and maybe one day I'll be able to join you boys on a ride out or a meet.
Old 17-May-2003, 16:16
Montjuic

Thanks for the info/advice guys. I guess that if there were any serious problems with reliability, then they would have quickly appeared in this thread somewhere.

I wondered about the extra cubes, but my plan is to use the Monster mainly for general riding and commuting - rideouts will mostly be on bigger brother. The demo ride will give me a good idea as to whether I can cope with around half the power I suppose. Around 60hp aint all that bad though, is it?

I will try to get along to the UKMOC meet for a chat.

Ta, Chris.
Old 21-May-2003, 15:01
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Psst, wanna buy my M750?

I bought it a year ago for the very same reasons as you. I found the std 750ie a bit flat, so bought a s/h carbed one and fitted an dynojet kit and Bos pipes etc.
Half the price, but twice the fun!

Have had a great laugh with it but need to raise some cash and clear some space.......
Old 21-May-2003, 16:41
500SD

Mood: Corners like a Lego man
Take a look on www.motosale.com - there's 22 monsters of varying sizes and ages for sale.

Use the 'Advanced Search' to specify the model.
Old 21-May-2003, 20:34
Montjuic

Cheers guys, but my plan is to get a new one - I cannot help but feel that, if I am to put some serious miles on the clock, then I must have the 2 year/unlimited miles warranty
Old 21-May-2003, 21:59
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Yeah - go for it, did 7000 miles in the 1st 5 months on my M750ie, coming up on 10,000 now and just over 14 months old - no mech probs to speak of. (Ssssshhhhhh)