Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 09-May-2005, 00:31
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
Quote:
Originally posted by skidlids
Between myself and Dallas we ran the 916 Strada for over 3 seasons, just replaced the oil, filter and Belts on a regular basis and the clutch once, so was quite cheap to race only marginally more than my Fireblade and less than my TL as I kept spending money on trying to get my TL to handle properly.

I wouldn't say a 4V can't be as cheap to race, just that, on average, it probably won't be. I'll be happy to be corrected, though.
Old 09-May-2005, 00:31
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Oh and one more point about 748's - there are BUCKET LOADS of spares and racing bits around for them because they've existed as a model for so long and their parts are, for the most part, interchangeable with their larger 4V brethren that were designed primarily as race machines.

Look at any race bodywork company and look at their standard offerings for example ...
Old 09-May-2005, 00:37
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Personally, I think (without thinking too much) that the 900SS would be good.

However, is it enough of a jump? 20bhp over a 620?

Maybe it would need the attraction of slicks/wets & warmers?

I suppose the 748 has about 90-95bhp? and is a 'proper' race bike.

I think the 600DD series is 95% spot on at it's first attempt.

Splitting the 583, 675 & 620 up could be awkward, as a 583 class and a 620 class would be better (within one race), but what happens to the 675 boys? I think it would be too much to have 3 classes within one.

A single tyre with no wets/warmers for the 600's?

Otherwise you could have entry DD and expert(?) DD being too similar.

I dunno, just waffling on really
Old 09-May-2005, 00:37
Big Twin

But would the cost of an 800 (purchase + running cost inc repairs) be more than for a 748? I'm not so sure.

The difference to me is (potentially) one fully-subscribed, successful DD series versus two under-subcribed, unsuccessful DSC series. I'm suggesting that DD be allowed to "bed-in" before diverting Club resources to a second series.

I'm just thinking aloud too, you know!

Quote:
Originally posted by TP
Quote:
Originally posted by Loz
Quote:
Originally posted by TP
It would be the overall cost that I would be looking at though. If we went down the 2V 800 route then the 748 would be significantly cheaper to buy and would therefore offer you the same overall cost or in fact be actually cheaper.

Sorry Tony, but why would 748s be cheaper than 800s over the course of a season (assuming a conservative one crash out of six to eight meets)?
Because 748's are a lot cheaper to buy when compared to the 2V 800's

Quote:
Quote:
The 2V 900 might be cheaper again. But if we already had the 'cheap' class as the Desmo Due series then I don't see why a slightly higher spec Desmo Quattro (or Desmo Due but larger capacity series) wouldn't be a great addition to the DSC racing calendar for '06.

If you said 2007 calendar, you'd have no argument from me!

Why does it matter? What difference would it make to you, or anyone else if it there were two series on offer for DSC members next year?

Please bear in mind as well that we're merely thinking out loud. I've stated above clearly that I think the current Desmo Due series would take priority over, and perhaps at the expense of, any other series that could get off the ground.
Old 09-May-2005, 00:39
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

I can see DSC running it's own race club before too long
Old 09-May-2005, 00:41
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by TP
Oh and one more point about 748's - there are BUCKET LOADS of spares and racing bits around for them because they've existed as a model for so long and their parts are, for the most part, interchangeable with their larger 4V brethren that were designed primarily as race machines.

Look at any race bodywork company and look at their standard offerings for example ...

Good points, Tony.
In any event DD would continue to be the entry-level racing (which is where I would be if I decide to take part) so I guess a second-level race series is neither here nor there for me for some while yet
Old 09-May-2005, 00:43
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

I'm sure that although some people may drop out this year for whatever reasons, by the end of the year there will be many many more DSC members who will want to sign up for 2006.

There is already 36 odd riders, so how would you accomodate a further 20?

You can't have a grid of 56, and some DD riders may want to 'move on' with their racing to progress and also give others a chance, so rather than turn people away, or lose them to Honda CBR600's or something, why not provide a further stepping stone on 748's or 900SS's?

Ha, got you there
Old 09-May-2005, 00:48
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by Loz
But would the cost of an 800 (purchase + running cost inc repairs) be more than for a 748? I'm not so sure.

The difference to me is (potentially) one fully-subscribed, successful DD series versus two under-subcribed, unsuccessful DSC series. I'm suggesting that DD be allowed to "bed-in" before diverting Club resources to a second series.

I'm just thinking aloud too, you know!

Well there's a few things to consider there. I think that a 748 series could be cheaper than an 2V 800 series - but I only used that as an example because the same gut feeling tells me that a 2V 900 series would be cheaper again. But we wouldn't know without a spreadsheet and a bit of research, which I haven't done extensively.

I think there's a natural symmetry to running a 2V and 4V series within the club.

You do have a very valid point in terms of takeup. If there was a risk that the original Desmo Due series would take a hit then it would have to take priority. A devils advocate position could also be that the DSC will lose racers who want to progress beyond the current DD series and also lose existing racers in other classes that weren't attracted to DD as it stands. Who knows?

Perhaps a bit of research would be advisable ...
Old 09-May-2005, 00:48
Big Twin

Dom, if you are right, that will be a great result for DSC - two fully subscribed race series would be wonderful.
I'm just cautious by nature (which is maybe one reason why I shouldn't do DD in 2006).
Old 09-May-2005, 00:50
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Hey Loz, get yer butt out there next year. It's the most fun you can have EVER!!

Don't be put off by my broken bones