Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 02-Oct-2006, 08:58
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb
Most speedos, particularly the japanese ones error on the side of bravado.......so when your whinging about being caught at only 6 mile an hour over the limit, that will be the correct speed as apposed to you speedo reading which was probably over 80............

So if you used the speedo reading at for example 70 in a 70 i doubt if you would get a ticket.....Still you think they would put a big needle on it and get it to point at the speed your going...

Think you've missed the point here mate: If there is a tolerance it should be applied nationally. If there is no tolerance it is unworkable law. It isn't about a telling off its about potentially banning people from driving over irrelevant enforcement of misinterpreted, abused law.

In engineering I work to a tolerance, it is on the drawing and in effect part of the contract with my customer. If they decide to accept anything that I produce out of tolerance that is up to them, not me. If I make anything that doesn't conform to drawing it is scrap and they have no obligation to buy it.

Ergo the system of policing speeding should be based on a national tolerance which different regions can't change at a whim. If it is 10% + 2mph of the posted speed limit that is clear and workable fpr all concerned, it is reasonable. Getting nicked for doing 32mph in a 30 or 76 in a 70 isn't reasonable or likely to prevent any accidents IMHO it just alienates the generally law abiding driver yet again.

http://www.multirole-eng.com

http://www.audicator.com Check out our simple to fit, potentially life saving turn signal alert system.
Old 02-Oct-2006, 09:07
Mille

Mood: He's not happy {:o( He's back at sea!
Isn't the tolerance on a speed limit zero, with discretion given for practicality where appropriate?

Ains.
Old 02-Oct-2006, 09:36
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
The guidelines are just that, Guidelines. Some areas are "zero tolerance" so in theory you'd get done for 71.

There is no national hard and fast rule other than the actual speed limit itself, what speed you get done at over that is up to the policy set by the areas chief constable or the officer who pulls you that day...........if his/her moning bacon butty was not to his/her liking or their hair didn't look good on last nights police, camera action prog. you can be in trouble at just 1mph over.

Follow Andy B's advice and don't go over the limit at all or try not to get caught.......tough choice

Ray.
Old 02-Oct-2006, 10:06
Mille

Mood: Relaxed
Speeding

Or become a copper!
Old 02-Oct-2006, 10:34
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Or become a copper!

Is that a class 1 Copper?

.any case, all our vehicles are now fitted with datalogging black boxes! .......and the speed exemption rules have changed...........
Old 02-Oct-2006, 11:05
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
I'm with Ains on this one. The limit is the limit. I drive in North Wales most days and here there is no tolerance level so I do an indicated 29 in a 30. In other parts of the country I still stick to speed limits as best I can.

The problems arise when you are followed by one of the '' I don't agree with the speed limits '' brigade who think that by following 6'' off your back bumper you will go faster, which happens at any speed. I had one at the weekend, maintaining 60mph in the astra van on a lovely twisty Welsh A road and 4wd comes up behind and tailgates for about a mile, ignoring several safe passing opportunities, and eventually overtakes on a blind left hand corner.

I caught him up about 5 miles later on an equally twisty B road where I can maintain 60mph and he was struggling to do 45.
Old 02-Oct-2006, 12:02
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
and of course they are a maximum limit, not a compulsory!
Old 02-Oct-2006, 12:12
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
Ouch
Old 02-Oct-2006, 16:39
Mille

Mood: Relaxed
Speed Limits

Nice to see that you guys are such paragons of virtue. Don't you ever exceed 60mph when you are out riding on country A roads?
You are absolutely right in saying that we should keep within the 30 mph limit in built up areas but to advocate going no faster than 60 seems incredible coming from motorcyclng enthusiasts.
We live and learn.
Old 02-Oct-2006, 17:50
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ains.
Isn't the tolerance on a speed limit zero, with discretion given for practicality where appropriate?

Ains.

How can there be no tolerance on a measurement ?

That was the point I was trying to make really. Who determines what 70mph is for instance ? What is the manufacturers tolerance on the speed cameras ? NOTHING is manufactured without a tolerance whether it be 0.0005% or 10% or expressed as something other than a percentage.

What is the manufacturers tolerance on a speedometer ? What effect does using tyres made by different manufacturers have opn speedometer readings?

Does anyone think that applying a strict 70mph limit has any true effect on road deaths and casualties when it usually goes hand in hand with a serious reduction in the police presence on our roads ? Would you rather have someone drive past your kids school gate at 34mph concentrating on the road or someone driving at 29mph writing a text on their mobile phone ?. The former will trigger the speed camera, the latter will run into your kid without even realising they are there !!!

Where the influence of speed on motorcycling road deaths is concerned I think some of you will be utterly amazed at how this myth has been forever smashed when the latest statistics are released locally ;-)))

http://www.multirole-eng.com

http://www.audicator.com Check out our simple to fit, potentially life saving turn signal alert system.