Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 04-Jul-2003, 22:01
Mille

Best value mods for 748S? (which give greatest return for cost)

Rearsets
Race Temis
Slipper Clutch
Carbon bodywork
Ohlins rear
Ohlins forks
Engine blueprint/gassflow
853 conversion
Lightweight wheels
Professional Suspension setup
Old 05-Jul-2003, 00:46
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
I disagree weeksy. Ohlins forks, shockand damper together make a vast improvment over std. Ok you don't have to buy ohlins you can have the showa with ohlins internals but don't ya just love that gold colour. Lighter wheels allow you to turn much quicker. Slipper cltch a must for track days, Termie's, no duke should be seen or heard without them, rear sets allow you to set them up to your own leg lenght etc and also give better ground clearence. Its only when you have all of the above and then try a bike which is std that you realise what a difference they make.
Old 05-Jul-2003, 08:35
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Mods to my race bike for track use are

Rearsets
Race 54mm Exhaust system
Slipper Clutch from 748R
Carbon airbox, Seat and front gaurd, fibreglass fairing
Ohlins rear shock
reworked forks
Lightweight wheels
Quick change rear sprocket carrier
Brembo Radial front Master cylinder
My own Suspension setup

Mods to my road bike

Carbon Termis,
not alot else required for british roads, but saying that the race bike would make a stonking road bike

Most wanted bit. Magnesium longer swing arm
Old 05-Jul-2003, 10:42
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Have to agree with weeksy. Value for money, the suspension settings are the one to go for. The other one not on the list is a couple days of a track school like CSS.

Of course, Ducatimad didn't say which value he wants for his money. Going faster, smoother, or just a trick looking bike.
Old 05-Jul-2003, 11:07
MotoGP God

So Slipper Clutch users like Hodgson, Byrne, Emmett, Rutter, Bayliss, Toseland, Reynolds, Capirossi, ROSSI, Bevan etc to name but a few are all incompetant.
I wouldn't say that myself, but then the faster you go the less time/distance you have to fit in the down changes
Old 05-Jul-2003, 11:30
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
I\'m with Felix on this....

.....it depends what you're trying to gain with the mods.

If its looks/pose value; - termis, carbon etc - fill your boots!!

If its performance, then you'll probably want to firstly brake and control her better, so; - slipper, mag wheels, race brakes, susp setup etc... then termis, filter etc to make her go faster.

But for me, the best use of the cash would be the CSS or European Superbike School....what you'll gain from this will allow you to maximise what you already have, rather than buying hardware to cover your limitations.

To draw and analogy;
As a golfer, I see lots of high-handicap players spend a fortune on new clubs and equipment that will reduce the errors in their game, but will not make them better players. It'll make their scores look better, because they make fewer errors, such as OOB etc, but they will not really improve as players.

But in order for them to become better players, they need to take lessons and practice these, its as simple as that. You can just practice and play a lot you will slowly improve, but you could be just be practicing the wrong things. Its also cheaper to take lessons than buy the latest Girlaway, Ti, fuel injected, fluid filled, carbon driver!!!

Some of the CSS and ESS type schools are very expensive, but equally there are smaller, less well known teaching schools that will provide valuable teachings and insight into riding better.

What the CSS gave me was bags of confidence (yes Dibble - until I binned it), I reckon that you'll get this from all reputable race schools..

Tim

[Edited on 5-7-2003 by Rattler]
Old 05-Jul-2003, 13:50
MotoGP God

It depends what your using the bike for, if racing and flying into the Pembrey hairpin say and knocking down 3 gears from when you start braking, it gives both your engine and final drive a easier time if you have a slipper clutch, probably why Ducati fit them as standard on 748R's, RS's etc. On the other hand if road riding (DSC rideout etc) then no you don't need one, which is why my road bike has very few mods.
Its just like tyres a decent rider on normal road rubber, will go round Mallory in less than a minute, with no need for slicks, Super Corsa's , D207GP's and a like, which is like saying most riders using sticky rubber on trackdays etc and not getting within say 4-5 secs of the Supersport lap record are using such tyres to cover the incompetence of a poor rider, not to mention the use of tyre warmers on trackdays. But I would still consider fitting track rubber a sound investment.

After all what do you really need to ride fast on the track, all Paul Lewis needs is his Harley Davidson and is still waiting for somebody to take up his challenge for a race around Mallory.

As for pro suspension set-up, I'm happy enough doing my own, so its not on my list and I can't be doing a bad job of it as within 2 practice sessions at the IOM TT with neither myself or Adrian having ever raced a R6 before, managed to have it lapping at over 110mph and got it good enough to take a untuned bike to 21st in the Junior TT.
Old 05-Jul-2003, 23:21
Mille

Mood: Direct - Fiesty - Controversial
for PURE ENJOYMENT with little (comparatively speaking) cost . . .

I would say that the only two mods worth doing to a stock bike are -

Techtronics Quickshifter
Slipper Clutch

Sublime-semi-automatic-no-brains-fullthrottle-quite-safe-ducati-lunacy!

Bound to bring a smile to your face!

KJ
Old 07-Jul-2003, 11:30
Mille

Mood: Rossi-tastico!
Wheels, forged Mag Marchi's to be precisie, the 10 spoke ones.
Best 'enhancement' I've spent my money on so far.
Only thing I havent bought yet are Ohlins R/T Forks.......
Old 07-Jul-2003, 11:33
Big Twin

Have to agree with Dazza, the 10-spoke mags are awesome! So much quicker turning in above 100mph