Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 21-Nov-2003, 20:54
Mille

Mood: It's raining, Winters coming...
888 or 851 what bits do I really have?

Does anyone know how I can figure out, presumably from the frame and chassis numbers, how my bike is put together?

I have a '93 888 Strada, but I have been told, without the bike having been seen by this person however, that my bike is an early 888 in manufacture and in fact uses the 851 injection system and as such quite possibly the 851 valve setup as well, as opposed to the later 916 style valve setup.

This statement was based purely on the colour of the clutch housing and waterpump housing and was from people who seem to be very respected in the UK for their Ducati knowledge.

This came to light when I purchased a performance chip from said company for an 888 which wouldn't work in my bike.

My understanding of this is that among other things there are significant time differences involved in the 40,000km valve clearance check which my bike is rapidly approaching.

Any ideas?
Old 21-Nov-2003, 21:58
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
The '93 888 was basically a '92 851 with a 2mm bigger bore.Valves,injectors and gearbox are all the same.I think the airbox on the 888 was slightly bigger.
The 916 motor was a development of the 888.Its got the same valves and cams tho I think the head was re-worked.
Old 22-Nov-2003, 15:07
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
The early bikes had some P7 computers rather than the P8 version.
Old 03-Dec-2003, 09:30
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Hey, I go on holiday and come back to a section for decent dukes at last!!

As I have a 92 851 a 93 888 (lucky me!), both of which have been in bits I agree with the above.

The 851 has the P7 ECU, but a P8 (with the appropriate chip) will also work - ie the loom and injectors are the same.

About the only major difference I have found apart from the colour of casings/covers etc is that the 888 is supposed to have the bigger front wheel spindle, although mine has black rims and the smaller spindle.......

Things like under/over slung rear calipers seem to have been more a case of what was around rather than exactly what model or year.......

cheers
Paul