Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 16-May-2004, 22:12
Mille

Mood: Long on Duke's...so happy
Main bearings went, no reason as far as I can see, I ride my bikes hard and the Senna had done 6 multi lap w/e's at Nurburgring and c. 20 track days and about 9000 overall before probs...so nothing obvious. Don't take a no from Ducati!
Old 16-May-2004, 23:06

I emailed ducati uk last night so i 'll go from there,as for oil in the future what is best , i take it it there has been a big debate on oil on this forum in the past. for my last ducati i used silkolene pro 4 plus fully syn/ with out any problems, but i'm willing to take any advice for future oil changes. as for the bike i took the engine out on friday and a friend of mine works for the same company as my local ducati dealer and approached there machanic and has got him to do the work for me as a "homer" in an effort to keep costs down. so hopefully in the next few days i will know the full extent of the damage
Old 19-May-2004, 09:22

ducati uk emailed me back and have asked me to take the bike to my local ducati dealer to enable them to access the damage, and see what sort of help they can give so fingers crossed there going to help with the repair.
Old 21-May-2004, 14:04

talked to my local dealer on wed and according to them when they stripped it down it needs 2 con rods (& bearings) and a crank shaft.When i asked him the cause of the failure he couldn't answer me. He told me they had been in contact with ducati and it was in their hands now.So i'm still waiting for a decision so ive everything crossed.And of course the weather is gorgeous and i cant wait to get back out on the red bike !
Old 28-May-2004, 20:00

Ducati, got back to me on wed and said they wern't prepared to offer any help.So i wrote another email to them telling them of my disgust, so they are now reconsidering there decision, again i live in hope.
Old 28-May-2004, 20:10
Mille

Mood: Long on Duke's...so happy
Threaten them with a bit of press coverage, both letters to MCN and Bike and to Pronto, write a letter on normal paper rather than email..........
Old 29-May-2004, 11:08

Cheers, just siting down know to pen a letter, any other susgestions greatfully welcome.
Old 31-May-2004, 01:24

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! STILL NO ANSWER!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-Jun-2004, 21:09

I have had some contact with ducati they are willing to offer some help but to be honest it falls way short of being any use so it looks like its down to me to fix it out of my pocket. I spoke to a place called sep in kegworth who say they can refurbish the crank and rods for about £180. has anyone had any dealings with them, or is this kind of repair only a short term fix any sugestions are welcome.
Old 07-Jun-2004, 21:21
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
I've used SEP several times. Once last year for this very same problem, albeit on a 748, which was also on very low mileage and also on a track day.
Top job and as you've found, very reasonably priced. Did take a while though, due to bearing shells if I remember correctly.

As for the cause, there was nothing obvious with the 748, as to why it happened. Everything was checked and measured and the only thing that reared it's head was the oil pump gears were out of tolerance. This is not uncommon from what I've heard and if the oil is old, or of a low "hot" rating, then the pressure could fall away.
Whilst the motor is apart, measure the backlash in the gears and if it's wide, then go back to Ducati?
I only use 15W/50 in the 4V motors, and am also currently trying 20W/50 in my own bike. The oil pressure when hot seems to be holding up very well when hot.