Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 10-Dec-2005, 11:32
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
Quote:
Originally posted by andyb
See if "riding in winter" is available on DVD?

PS you took it back yet?

Thanks for that advice, Andy. I have decided that turning up at Curry's with the DVD player shoved in my rucksack might lead the staff to suspect that I have somehow mistreated it. Furthermore, if they do change it for a new one, I won't be able to get it in my rucksack without taking it out of the box and shoving it into my rucksack, which may well damage it. On balance, therefore, I have decided to wait until my car is available and then I can drive in a civilised manner with my DVD and give the staff WHAT FOR! :P
Old 10-Dec-2005, 14:54
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
Ruth

Fordies advice on positioning is good and also applies when you come to a halt behind a stationary vehicle. If you keep to the offside and you see a vehicle in your mirrors, which doesn't look like it's going to stop in time you can get out of the way rather than being hit from behind.

In general traffic - A roads , dual carriageways & motorways my main problem is distance'. In other words I will leave a safe gap between my vehicle and the one in front, but then get drawn in and close up the gap without realising.

I was told the following saying years ago and use it every day.

If you are following a vehicle, watch for it passing a stationary object such as a lamp post ,tree or mark on the road and then say to yourself '' Only a fool breaks the two second rule ''. If you reach the observed object before you have finished saying the above, you are too close.

Apparently it works at any speed.

But what you have to watch out for then is people tail gating you because they want to get into the gap you are now creating.

Can't win can you?

Phil
Old 10-Dec-2005, 15:00
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
The two second rule is for clear dry days... nights, wet and grotty conditions look to double it.
It's one of those things that good drivers observe and muppets who can't see or plan 10 feet beyond their headlights cock up for you.
At least if you maintain the gap, even if you are overtaken, not only are you able to react safely, but the idiot who is travelling too close you your rsend has a bit more time to slow as you aren't on your brakes and there's a reduced chance of them shunting you..
Old 10-Dec-2005, 15:17
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
i still practice my emergancie stops
when i set of for work in the morning i'll do a bit of heavy braking just to see how much grip there is
when i first started trying this i was amazed at how heavily you can apply the brakes on a wet greasy road
but this only works in a straight line
when it's icy aim to ride as if i had no brakes, and in reality in icy conditions you havn't
and on a high torqe bike cutting the gas on a slippy bit of road is often enough to lock the back wheel
but however carefull you are there is still the unexpected and you must have a safty zone large enough to deal with these eventualitys
Old 15-Jan-2007, 13:33

Riding in winter

Hi Ruth

Talking of moments, I took my beloved Ducati 999 out on Christmas Eve. Taking extra care because the roads were damp and cold, I took the first bend on a roundabout and before I knew it, I had a front wheel slide. No brake, no excessive lean, no excessive acceleration. All I remember is sliding along the ground (thought I was never going to stop) and watching my bike sliding along the ground in an array of sparks and parts flying into the air. Boy, these bikes with fairings don’t want to stop. I remember maintaining eye contact with the bike as I slid behind it thinking ‘please don’t hit anything’. Unbelievably, my concern was with the bike. And of course, there's that dreadful moment when you stand the bike up (with the help of a passer by) to reveal the damage. I can only conclude that the cause was due to a number of things. A wet and cold road and dare I say, whilst trying to lessen the feelings of guilt for having damaged such a lovely looking machine, the possibility of diesel. Not to mention a negative camber on the roundabout. Anyway, I managed to get away with a bruised foot and sore shoulder so counting my blessings. My bike, on the other hand, apart from having the entire left side damaged, needs a new frame and swing arm so will probably be a write-off pending a crash repair assessment. C’est la vie.
Old 15-Jan-2007, 14:26
Montjuic

Mood: :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redruth
Thinking about it, I should really just hang up my Ducati keys and stick to 4 wheels

Never an option! I know how you feel; we *all* have those moments - but if you put a bit of time between this scarey moment and a chance to sit down and think of what you'd miss, not being on 2 wheels, you'd realise that it's not really something you'd want to do.

Enjoy it while you can, consider this little incident as a learning experience (and that's all it was!), and stay on 2 wheels.

You'll be fine.
Old 15-Jan-2007, 14:32
Big Twin

Glad you're OK, Ruth. I had a similar "moment" last week, bt unlike you failed to keep it "shiny side up".

i;m now faced with a bill for resprayed plastic and new mirrors, not to mention a fine collection of bruises!

I'm putting it down to Michelins , but these greasy winter roads are probably best left to the car.
Old 15-Jan-2007, 14:37
Big Twin

Mood: Black and grey (and a bit of red)
The "moment" in question was in 2005.

Not really sure why people resurrect ancient posts...
Old 15-Jan-2007, 14:39
Montjuic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Jones
Hi Ruth

Talking of moments, I took my beloved Ducati 999 out on Christmas Eve. ... My bike, on the other hand, apart from having the entire left side damaged, needs a new frame and swing arm so will probably be a write-off pending a crash repair assessment. C’est la vie.

Damn, that's awful. Bad luck mate.

It shows how this sort of thing can happen at any time, irrespective of your level of caution and attention. Rotten luck.
Old 15-Jan-2007, 14:44
Montjuic

Quote:
Originally Posted by beancounter
The "moment" in question was in 2005.

Not really sure why people resurrect ancient posts...

Ahhh - I see why it's bubbled back to the top - Vince's post popped back up there.

Sorry RedRuth I should've read the whole thread (and checked the dates)

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit