Ducati Sporting Club UK
Stolen Bikes
Please read the guidelines on this thread before posting an entry

Old 14-Apr-2005, 20:17
500SD

Mood: YELLOW!!!
STOLEN YELLOW 748: NORTH LONDON

J77DUC

Having only just recovered from some really bad personal/family problems, and after having saved for months to scrape together the money to buy my dream bike as a "pick me up", only 3 weeks after buying it, it was nicked from outside my house in Muswell Hill, N10 at 4am on Tues 12th April.

Words cannot express how angry, upset and bereaved I am feeling at the moment.....my 3 kids loved the bike as well (my 2 year old can already differentiate between "ordinary" bikes and most modern Ducatis ie: he knows class when he sees it) and they are all utterly heartbroken. My 5 year old burst out crying when I told him - although later on, he did make me laugh by saying that I should buy a bike like Valentino Rossi's next time!

The saddest thing is, is that after I've paid the balance of the premium, the excess, replaced all the chains/locks/alarms/cover that also went with the bike (some use all that lot turned out to be?), and paid the premium for the next bike, I won't be able to afford to replace it with another 748. I'll probably end up on an f***ing CB500 or something.

£500 reward. Full details and pics of the bike are on eBay at this link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MESE:IT

Any help in tracking it down, no matter how small would be gratefully accepted

[Edited on 14-4-2005 by zhed44]
Old 14-Apr-2005, 20:27
Big Twin

Really sorry to hear
Old 14-Apr-2005, 20:37
500SD

Thanks. You never know, it may turn up.....

I put some leaflets through doors in my local area and I got a call earlier from a woman who had this morning seen a yellow bike with a J in the number plate abandoned about half a mile away close to a busy junction. Unfortunately, she didn't have my number with her and could only call me when she got home. Needless to say, the bike was not there when I went to have a look. I called the police to see if they knew if the CCTV on the junction was able to pick up that area. Were they interested? Were they b****x. Suggested that I go and look at the cameras or ask my local council if they can provide me with the tape....Hang on a mo, isn't that their job???? So I asked the officer if she could remind what was the role of the police in society....and furthermore, why do I pay £1200 council tax each year, a portion of which goes to the Metropolitan Police? She was a bit stumped for a reply....mumbled something about resources, more serious crime to solve etc (no doubt that's what the 13 officers I counted recently pulling motorists over for vehicle census were doing)

The boys and girls in blue have been singularly disinterested in solving this crime (is theft still a crime?). Despite my DIY detective work having suceeded in unearthing descriptions of the suspects, their van, their clothing etc. Once again, have they f**k! I found out today that the fairly detailed descriptions I obtained whilst doing their job for them hadn't even been entered onto the crime report!
Old 14-Apr-2005, 20:45
Big Twin

I had a Car nicked a few weeks back, as the theif had answered an ad in Autotrader I did 1471 and got a Mobile number. I made enquires with T-Mobile who told me it wa registerd to an address, but would tell me the address due to data protection. I told the Police what i had found out. They told me that there was nothing they could do as the phone may not have belonged to the Thief. Cause i have a number its not enough to just go round!!!! But it could have been his number. Where they interested? Where they Feck
Anyway Fingers Crossed your turns up.
Old 14-Apr-2005, 21:05
500SD

As usual, the Police relying on Joe Public's ignorance of the law.....

From memory (can't be bothered to check my criminal law textbooks), by the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 s.25, a constable can arrest any person on reasonable suspicion that they have committed an offence if that offence carries a maximum term of imprisonment of at least 5 years (which theft does - max sentence is 14 years i think). Even if they don't believe they have grounds to arrest the owner of the phone there and then, the fact that the call came from his phone should at least trigger a visit to the corresponding address in order to ask the occupant some questions, see if the ID of the suspect matches his description, or even just to see if the car is parked outside his house! DUH! Not exactly the stuff of Sherlock Holmes is it? If there are any lawyers/police officers on here, please feel free to correct me....

An awful lot of policemen I've some across confuse the amount and quality of evidence the CPS need to secure a conviction (a lot), with the amount and quality of evidence they need to arrest a suspect and/or search premises (not very much at all). The cynic in me would suggest that they know full well the difference, but use such excuses when they can't be a***d to investigate what could possibly turn out to be a wild goose chase....

£500 reward. Full details and pics of the bike are on eBay at this link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MESE:IT

[Edited on 14-4-2005 by zhed44]

[Edited on 15-4-2005 by zhed44]
Old 14-Apr-2005, 21:25
500SD

LMAO. but just where would I fit it on a 748? From what I remember in the very short time I owned it, I could only just get a packet of fags under the seat.....
Old 14-Apr-2005, 21:47
Big Twin

Sorry to hear about your bike, I have been in the same situation a number of times. Quite recently I had 2 cars stolen in 2 years and both times the police did not even come to see me, I had to go to the police station to make a statement both times which was a pain as the first time I was 100 miles from home and the second I was 30 miles away. On the first occasion my mobile was in the glove box and the thieves used it to make quite a few calls to the same 10 or so numbers which were all local to where the car was stolen. Were the police interested? Were they chuff! I did give the numbers to a few mates and we spent a few weeks ringing them at 3 and 4am and making a nuisance of ourselves pointless I know but made me feel better.

A year or so back I had an attempted break in at 3am and had 2 blokes cornered at the end of my patio (which is about 10 feet above ground level) they chose to jump over the railings to the ground below, unluckily just missing the edge of some steps and landing safely on the grass. I called the police and they phoned me back twice in 30 minutes asking for directions! The police station is half a mile away!! The following sunday I went for a ride on the 996 and sure enough on the way to devils bridge 4 or 5 of our finest officers stopping every bike for the usual checks I ended up with a fine for my termis!

I am not anti police but am disgusted at the way the force is run these days. The people who now seem to get the most attention and grief from the police are the very people who suffer the most crime against them. Whats going on?

Rant over. I hope you get somewhere with your bike and the thieving scum die horribly.
Old 14-Apr-2005, 22:38
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
That trunk monkey is a cracking idea.

Good luck getting your bike back zhed. Glad you decided to post on here after our email, perhaps someone will know something. If not at least you'll get some moral support!

There's a couple of helpful constabulary who are Ducati riders and frequent this board - so you never know what will turn up.

Let's hope you get your bike back and can actually join the Ducati fold again.

Cheers
Phill
Old 15-Apr-2005, 00:16
500SD

Just had a thought...

If any of you have the time, please print out the eBay info/pics (link is in the first thread at top of page) and ask any friendly bike shops to put it on their noticeboards, in their windows etc. Any other novel ideas for putting the word around would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks for the link to Visordown and just thanks generally for the moral support.

I will ride again!
Old 15-Apr-2005, 00:56
500SD
Bikes: multistrada, 748R/916

Mood: one very coool cat!
Sorry to hear the news - same happened to me in January(also nth london) and similar story with the police - i am still seething that the scum are laughing at us 'cos it is a soft crime - why don't insurance companies set up a task force?? big business huh? There was a story in MCN awhile back about some ex SAS guys who will answer your call if you have a tracker - i like this idea alot!! I can't believe how pi££ed i was - you too i bet. One day someone will sort out a way of stopping it - supply and demand? not sure what happens to the stolen goods, but if you could make it impossible to sell then it would be not worth stealing.

keep positive - if you want another one - you know you can get it as you have done it once before.