Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-Oct-2005, 21:19
Mille

Mood: Scared! The SP4 hates me!!
Aren\'t SP4\'s wonderful?

Thought I'd share a little story about my beautiful 92 888SP4!
I've always lusted after the SP4, ever since the salesman urged me to by one rather than the 888 Strada that I thought was a more 'practical' bike.

I've had her since April, bought form Protwins just off the M25. I live between Glasgow and Edinburgh, so it was quite a ride home but she was faultless even when the rain lashed down and also when the snow appeared just north of the border.

I took her round to my local dealer for a check-up...imagine my surprise when it was revealed that the valves were so far out of adjustment that it was a miracle that she ran at all!
"I thought that noise was the clutch"
The clutch basket and plates were worn way beyond their limits!
"works ok. Are you sure?"
The throttle bodies were out of sync.
"I thought all dukes sounded like that"
The rear tyre is so old that it's solid and almost brittle.
"so that's why she slides so mutch. I thought it was the super powerful back brake"

Needless to say, all the above was put right - full service - new clutch - new tyres and I also replaced a small bolt that had fallen out of the timing gear just in front of the alternator. It was just sitting there - flopping around.

After all this, I put high quality synthetic oil in with a new filter and patted myself on the back for being a very responsible and caring owner.

Yesterday, I had her booked in at Alvins in Edinburgh to diagnose a 'slight hissing noise' so I enjoyed the 30 mile trip with the bike running beautifully and handling as you'd expect an SP4 to handle. 5 miles from Alvins, I had just negotiated a long left hand sweeper, upped a gear and opened the throttle...BANG! WHIRR! CLATTER! - white smoke filled my mirrors - no power - rear snaking wildly - despair!
How I survived I do not know, but I coasted to a layby which was conveniently 50 yards ahead. A couple of guys in a white van pulled in behind me and were telling me things like "you're lucky to be alive" and "it was all over the place - how did you stay up?" and proceeded to supply the obligitary sweet tea.
My rear tyre was soaked in oil and the right engine casing was hanging off. Thank god for mobile phones. Alvins had me rescued within the hour.
According ot the mechanic I had 'snapped' my crankshaft.
"No, really? You're winding me up. Aren't you? Is that normal?" S'funny what you say when you're in shock.
Now I'm awaiting their full report. It's not gonna be cheap. Thousands rather than hundreds. The crank itself must be nearly impossble to replace.
Anyway, she will return - better than before even if I do have to sell the kids and rent out the wife.

Anybody got an SP4 engine?

I'll give you a decent price!
Old 19-Oct-2005, 21:24
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
Fred,

Sorry to hear that story, and no, they don't all do that. Hope you get it well soon.

Rgds, Rob
Old 19-Oct-2005, 21:43
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Bugger!
Been there done that with my old Benelli when it broke the crank & two conrods in the middle of an S bend with SWMBO on the back.
Despite lots of oil all over the Phantom on the back & the wet road we stayed aboard & survived.. wish I could say the same for the engine though.
You'll forgive her the first time you ride her after the rebuild.....
Old 19-Oct-2005, 21:58
888 at Last !!!

Put a con rod through the casing on a LC350 once when the small end of the con rod broke. It didn't half stop quickly.

I sympathise - it'll be swarf city inside that engine of yours.
Old 19-Oct-2005, 22:03
Ducati Meccanica

I feel really sorry for you mate, been through the same thing with mine, shed full of problems and not cheap either.
got my rebuilt engine back a few weeks ago, only to find it's been badly damaged in transit by the courier, probably going to be a write off according to insurance company, but nothing confirmed yet, still being looked into by them

chinup mate.
robin
Old 19-Oct-2005, 22:04
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
Every Ducati owners nightmare. I'm very sorry for you.

I'm frightened to use me 851 now!
Old 19-Oct-2005, 22:10
500SD

Mood: Relaxed - don't worry about things you can't change
Sorry to hear your tale of woe........makes you feel a bit nervous about starting htem up ....but it has to be done !

Best of luck in the rebuild !
Old 20-Oct-2005, 00:35
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Sorry to hear that mate..I snapped a rod on my FZR600 on the motorway and its not a very pleasant (nor cheap) experience..

Nat
Old 20-Oct-2005, 00:38
GTL

yeah,best of luck Fred888
Old 20-Oct-2005, 09:27
Bevel Head
Bikes: T8 SP4 / Buell 1125CR

Yes SP4’s are wonderful

eBay Item number: 4583791297 is selling a complete engine Fred and shipping from Australia with the likes of Bax Global is not that expensive.
Also on eBay Germany Item number: 7984851476 has a new SP crank for sale….. buy now at £339.37

If the crank broke, not sure why the engine would blow white smoke though?..... good luck with the rebuild.