Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Dec-2004, 19:13
Big Twin

Mood: r
ok tim, i like the s/c tyres. i wont be doing slicks option,not for me as im happy with my ability on road tyres.
Old 15-Dec-2004, 20:54
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
Weeksy I agree with rattler, nothing wrong with your posts, just that you come over a bit like Kush Jabble. So from now on If we agree with you but find it a bit strong. I shall say. Don't jabble
Old 15-Dec-2004, 22:18
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
Rattler, I gorra say I'm surprised you are not going down the slix road. From what I've seen and heard, I would have thought that you would probably benefit from them more than anyone. Your saying you gonna stick to SC's has made me rethink things a little.

I been told that 1 set will NOT last all four days if you reasonably accomplished, so think I'm gonna go out on my pat worn SC's and take a new set with me and maybe some part worn slix if I can get them for right money.

FWIW, when Rizla Gazzoki last tested there, JR was only getting 6 laps out a set of tyres! Gorra long way to go to be up there with them, but it's food for thought especially as JR said the front wore out just as quickly as the rear.
Old 15-Dec-2004, 22:41
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Trouble is that I don't know too much about slicks. I used slicks for about 3 trackdays this year I (Cadwell, Donny, Brands GP) - but that's it.

I have really only ever used SCs on the track, so there may be better tyres out there, but I'm happy with the SCs. Better the devil you know!!!

And as for slicks, there are many different makes/compounds/types etc, that I know sod all about.

The SCs are far more capable than I am - and I want to feel very comfortable pushing road tyres on the track - especially with the spectre of the Desmo Due about to consume my life!!! - right Weeksy

In fact, when a decision is made about the control tyre in the series - I may get some for the ZX just to test them - psychological I know, but you've got to trust your tyres.

I would recommend slicks to anyone wanting to try them - they inspire lots of confidence, but I always took a long time to really push them as I've heard stories of how you'd struggle to get heat into them etc - again all probably psychological, - but you'd really want to use warmers (see Monty's earlier post).

Then if a session had been redflagged early - you'd be sitting in pitlane waiting to go back out - and you'd have to go through a longer warmup session than I felt you'd need to with treaded tyres.

This year I felt I wanted to try slicks and I have - I will now go back to SCs and hopefully be faster on them than I ever was before - who knows??

I'll stop rambling now!

Tim
Old 15-Dec-2004, 22:43
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by yeti

I been told that 1 set will NOT last all four days if you reasonably accomplished, so think I'm gonna go out on my pat worn SC's and take a new set with me and maybe some part worn slix if I can get them for right money.

This seems a good plan - especially with 4 days on the track, you'll have a chance to get up to speed with SCs on the track and then swap in some slicks - and do a straight comparison.

Nice!!
Old 15-Dec-2004, 23:23
Ducati Corse

Yeti I think that with the layout of the track the first day will be very light on the rubber. If its anything like Almeria itsnot until the 2nd or 3rd day that you start tp push. It looks a lot more demanding than Almeria, but time will tell. You can usually compare corners from one track to another. Its usually the camber that gets you. It looks like a very positive camber on the first right after the start/ finish straight. This will encourage you to go in faster, but has DMC says the next one is slower. Over 3 days at Almeria I got through one SC rear which had already got 1 td under its belt. The final day I put a set of Dunlop 208gps on, the front is still on to this day, but the rear tore up straight away.
I went back to Almeria with the CSS and the same tyres. I did another 2 days with them, the suspension was softened off which cleaned the rear up a bit and then when the pace heated up it got torn to shreds again.
Almeria is known to be very abrasive on tyres.

Unless you are very hard on the front, and I'm not. I would take 2 rears and forget about the front if it is good.

[Edited on 15-12-2004 by Jon]
Old 16-Dec-2004, 00:21
WSB Hero

Yeh - we need to understand 100%'s policy on how much stuff they will transport for you. Tracksense seemed quite hard initially on how little you were allowed to take, but in reality you could take a hell of a lot more - as long as the extra kit fitted within the boundaries of the semi-cage that each bike went in (it was'nt an enclosed cage, but a kinda cage they could use to forklift the bikes around with).

We managed to get leathers, tools, tyres, boots etc in there, and took helmets as hand-luggage on the plane. They don't approve of taking fuel though!!!

With the CSS they were far more tolerant of taking lots of stuff - probably because their transporter wasn't full up??

I'm rambling again, but in short - take as many tyres as you can get away with!!

Tim
Old 16-Dec-2004, 01:17
Ducati Corse

[I'm rambling again, but in short - take as many tyres as you can get away with!!

Tim [/quote]

Yeah we can always sell em to raise some beer money.
Old 16-Dec-2004, 09:55
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
[/quote]
Yeah we can always sell em to raise some beer money. [/quote]

Thought we were gonna sell you if we needed more beer money Jon?
Old 16-Dec-2004, 21:20
Big Twin

Mood: r
jon dont drink yeti,but next week were going for it big time in the pole,jons going to match me pint for pint