Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Dec-2006, 10:53
Montjuic
Bikes: MS1200S, T150V

Mood: Hopeful
Question Crankcase Paint

Anyone out there know of a close match to touch-up the crankcases? My ST4s has a small amount of corrosion behind the back pot.

Thanks,

Norm.
Old 22-Dec-2006, 13:48

RS motorbike paint

Hi,
I have a M1000 with paint flaking off the underside. Sent a sample to RS motorbike paints and they matched it. The first batch was a little dark so I sent another bit - apparently they prefer a flat sample for matching. In the end I received another 500ml FOC. The second batch was much lighter and a better match. This time slightly lighter but acceptable. I have an artist air brush which I used to spray both the primer, an acid etch which bonds well to the casing and the grey. It's a toluene based paint and can handle temperatures up to 200 centigrade which is fine for casings but not barrels. Several fine coats and the match was fine. I also applied a coating of lacquer. The problem with Ducati's is there a several shades of grey on the same bike i.e wheels differ from frame which differs from the crankcases. In fact they side casings differ from the crankcases. My own opinion they're all slightly different shades of grey which isn't helped by ageing.

Geoff
Old 22-Dec-2006, 17:18
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffDuk
Hi,
I have a M1000 with paint flaking off the underside. Sent a sample to RS motorbike paints and they matched it. The first batch was a little dark so I sent another bit - apparently they prefer a flat sample for matching. In the end I received another 500ml FOC. The second batch was much lighter and a better match. This time slightly lighter but acceptable. I have an artist air brush which I used to spray both the primer, an acid etch which bonds well to the casing and the grey. It's a toluene based paint and can handle temperatures up to 200 centigrade which is fine for casings but not barrels. Several fine coats and the match was fine. I also applied a coating of lacquer. The problem with Ducati's is there a several shades of grey on the same bike i.e wheels differ from frame which differs from the crankcases. In fact they side casings differ from the crankcases. My own opinion they're all slightly different shades of grey which isn't helped by ageing.

Geoff
Fook all of that,........(no disrespect here,......)
My Multi had new crankcases and front cylinder head after all the paint fell off. All under warranty.
Six months later,...yep,you guessed it,...as bad as ever!
Out with the wire brush and the silver Smooth Hammerite.Not a perfect match,...but fook it,...it'll do!
And wadderyaknow,...seems to be holding up just fine.
Old 23-Dec-2006, 11:28
Montjuic
Bikes: MS1200S, T150V

Mood: Hopeful
Thanks Geoff, I'll give RS Motorbike paints a call cos the motor deserves it. At 3 years old and 33K the general finish on the bike is comparable with any I've had including BMs and Hondas.

Keefy's way is plan B.

Cheers lads,

Norm.