Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 14-Oct-2005, 19:16
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Finally my Jerez write up - V. Long!!

So where to begin, lets set the scene first….

Myself and Lily used the Jerez trip as an excuse for a break as well as four days on track, 4 or 5 days of chilling out travelling from town to town to city we finally arrived in Jerez, a day before everyone else was due to fly in. We decided to check in to the same hotel that we would be staying in whilst doing the track time, so check-in and time for some more R&R. The Hotel Sherry Park is listed as a 4 star but in reality it’s a 3 star, but clean and has everything you could need, so no complaints.

We decided to journey out to the circuit and see if we could have a look round and hopefully our bikes may have arrived to, the circuit is roughly a 20 minute drive North East of the centre and as any typical circuit there’s not much around near by. Somehow we managed to blag our way past security with a mix of English, Spanish and French and drove round to the paddock. No sign of the bikes but there was a rather fruity howl going around the circuit, this turned out to be a team testing a Formula Ford etc, we stood and watched for a while and realised just how undulating the circuit was, this never came across on TV, the first turn is an uphill right hander with positive camber, and the few corners I could see all looked similar – how wrong I was when I eventually went round…

Digressing slightly, back at the hotel people started to arrive and Berto and the Jocks all appeared, we’d met one or two previously (Berto, Gary, Graeme) and were soon to be acquainted with the rest, funnily enough over a few drinks that night and the obvious p*ss taking out of Berto for forgetting his keys. We were informed by the organisers (100%) that a coach would drop us off and collect us each day and that the first morning was always a bit hectic at people were sorting bikes, signing on etc etc, luckily we had a car so we could come and go as we pleased and get to the circuit before the coach to miss the rush.

I didn’t sleep a wink that night which didn’t help the next morning, we were up early and at the track before pretty much everyone, a few others had got a taxi to miss the rush also. We retrieved our bikes, 2 boxes containing spares, tools, tyre warmers, optimate (well you never know with a Duke) and our large blue plastic funnel, and a large holdall with our leathers, boots, gloves etc (we took our lids on as hand luggage), finally we collected our tyres, so within 30 minutes we were good to go. After a while everyone else started to appear, I finally met Andyb who soon setup camp in the same garage along with his mate Tim, the garages were huge by the way, plenty of power and probably some of the best there are. Briefing/Sign on was quick and easy, 100% made sure everyone knew how the days were going to run, quick and simple.

Track-time was from 10am until 6pm and no break for lunch, standard 20 minute sessions and 3 groups, although the groups were two inters and a fast, myself, Lily, Andy and Tim were in group one so first out. 3 sighting laps then go for it! My initial impressions were great was a fantastic flowing circuit, plenty of reference points for braking, turn, exit etc etc and a lot of linked left and right handers flowed and progressively got quicker and quicker J

Most sessions ran without delay and I think we all skipped one or two as the sun was beating down and temps were approaching 30C’s. Lily stubborn as old boots and strong as an Ox battled through pain with her shoulder and finger after her off and rode out of her skin although she was only using two gears for the whole circuit on day one!!

In the next garage there were a couple of guys and a girl who had clearly been here several times and the girl offered to show Lily round, I said to Andy this was going to be interesting, and sure enough it was, within 3 laps Lily had buggered off and had pulled out the length of the start finish straight on her, she spat the dummy and on the next lap came in… we did have a chuckle, women though eh?? They decided to move up to the next group ASAP, funnily enough Lily wanted to too! But that was day two…

I was struggling to get the circuit to flow on the first day, as anyone does I think, and at the end of the first day I was a bit bemused but still going pretty well I thought, Andy and I were putting in similar times throughout the day though, so that was a good reference to have. Whereas the Jocks were on a mission, Gary had his K5 and his RG500 there, one other K5, a 999, but pretty much everything else was an R1, the odd 600, and two RS125’s, Gary, Greame, the two Dave’s, Bill etc were flying – gits! Berto jumped on Dave’s race bike (R1) and nearly had both myself and Andy off a few times… typical eh? Probably looking for business… New 999 Sir??

We finished the day on a high, being anal we cleaned the bikes, left them fuelled up on the stands, warmers on (not switched on) ready for the next day.

As you can imagine that night was full of stories of track riding gods etc etc, and this would continue every day.

Day 2, more sun and more fun, turn up just before 10, sign on and go, simple as that, no more briefing etc etc, we’d moved up to group two funnily enough, can’t imagine why and off we went chasing the guys and girl in the next garage, my times were staring to fall and I was pushing harder, the bike was squirming everywhere by mid morning, and I decided to stick some new boots on the R, not a quick job as there’s constantly 4-5 sets of other wheels waiting to be done, so I lost a session, no great loss as it was good to relax and stay out of the sun. New 209’s on, never tried them so took it steady for a few laps then chucked the bike into the 2nd left hander faster than ever, the grip was a revelation far better than the previous 208GP’s from 2 hours ago!! Was this just stuffed rubber to new? Was it 208’s to 209’s? or was it just a mental thing? Who cares it was like Velcro, and by the end of that session another 2 seconds or thereabouts had vanished from the times… Andy had to pull his finger out!! A tyre swap was looming J What we had discovered though was Jerez eats fronts as well as rears and we had taken more rears than fronts… would they last?

One of the guys from Throttlemonkeys came off, I was probably 5 seconds behind, his bike just lying in the middle of the track between turns 4 and 5 but no sign of him, he was OK though, went to medical centre and came back laughing, nothing like St John’s there, X-ray at the circuit, confirmed he was in one piece and told him to go and have fun! There’s a video clip off the lap on TM’s site if anyone is interested.

At the end of the second day I think we were all pooped, we got back to the Hotel, several of the Scottish mob were by the pool within seconds a round of drinks rolled up, then another and another…. Lily decided to try a glass of sherry (being made in Jerez and all) and I have to admit it was yummy, so 2 beers and 8 sherries later we decided we should get showered and changed, staggering off to the room giggling we passed Gary, quick shower and down for more of the same, around 10 of us meandered off into the old town for a hearty meal and more alcohol, Lily and I decided to quit while we were ahead, and after a magical mystery tour round the old town found our hotel, only to see the remaining Scottish mob going out in a Taxi (1:30am) they apparently got back at 8am and grabbed a quick breakfast then went off to bed pronto!

Day 3, Lily gets up goes out onto the balcony and says looks a bit grey out there? Grey? Spain? Hello? I look and say it’s p*ssing down, not what we wanted to see… so there was no real impetuous to get to the circuit that morning, but when we did it had stopped raining, and one guy was out on track, he came in and after a quick double take I realised he was on slicks!!!! Balls of steel there! 3 guys on Mille’s went out on wets and a guy on racetecs, after 20 mins or so they all came in, too dry for wets and too wet for slicks, another hour and it was dry(ish) the track never did seem to dry out, I’ve never seen anything like it, in 30C sun there were still wet patches, but I think it was actually oil being brought up to the surface rather than water. Lily decided to go out, we could see she was now in some discomfort (and finally using more gears!) but she took it steady and smooth, I went out a while later and had a few moments, it was just about getting lines and entry/exit speeds for now, and I began to really hang off the bike trying to keep her upright, one of the guys in the next garage went out on slicks and highsided coming out of the hairpin on the back straight, bike was OK, but he’d hurt his wrist and it was the last time he rode there. There were quite a few offs today, people getting a bit giddy, or the open pit lane approach today and a range of abilities? The good thing was this saved the tyres (especially the fronts) for another final day.

Day 4, the final push, as you can imagine everyone was up for the final day, not so many drinks the night before and everyone trying to go quicker than the previous 3 days, and to be honest I think we all did, I made a right mess of turn one, and one of the young boys on his RS125 came under me, I got by him after the next turn, but the super fast off camber right hander (pons) he came round the outside of me until his bike ran out of steam!! (luckily for me I must say), Lily took Bill’s R1 out and scared herself, all of the Scottish mob were swapping and changing bikes here and there and we were all offered bikes to play on if we wanted, I declined as the last thing I wanted to do was potentially crash someone else’s bike, and I was scared LOL!!!

I briefly had a camera on my bike (thanks Tim) so chased Lily for a few laps with that, must get a camera now… and that was pretty much it to be honest, made some great friends and I think they liked me for the funnel (no one else brought on!!!)

Big up to Andy, Tim, Berto, the two Dave’s, Gary, Graeme, Kenny, Neil (nutter) the two young lads, and all of the other Jocks!! Would I do it again? Oh yes where’s my credit card!!!!
Old 14-Oct-2005, 19:24
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Pah...Call that a very long post.....

Nice write up, makes me want to be there....now!
Old 14-Oct-2005, 19:25
Big Twin

Great write up Jon sounds like you had a good time
Old 14-Oct-2005, 19:31
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by Dseered
Ok, I've read it now, dissapointed to see there were none of Lily's brownies in 'that box' !

Sorry no brownies on this trip, why not? I really don't know, now you've just gone and started an argument for later
Old 14-Oct-2005, 19:34
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Nice write up Jon, sounds great fun.

If you want a camera a mate of mine is just starting to do some really neat on bike stuff, We've tried it as helmet cam stuff when out on the dirt bikes. The whole kit is very compact and rugged.

I don't know the final price yet he reckons it will be really competitive.
Old 14-Oct-2005, 19:38
BSB Star

Hmmmm.... you'll have to tell me more Shaun, no rush as the bike will be getting tucked away soon, something to natter about next month at the meet anyway
Old 14-Oct-2005, 20:10
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Im trying to get a digi copy for you jon.....
Old 14-Oct-2005, 20:24
500SD

Mood: 2 for 1 mmm :)
nice 1 JPM, sounds like a great time was had by all, hopefully ill make it to the next 1 !

/ian
Old 14-Oct-2005, 20:56
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
Nice one Jon glad you and Lil had a good time. Does this mean you will be regular Euro td'ers
Old 15-Oct-2005, 01:20
500SD

OOOOOH ME HEAD!!!!