Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Jul-2003, 22:56
Montjuic

ST2 frame

I knowe I'e mentioned this before , but here goes :
Well it looks like my worst suspicions were correct, the new underseat cowl on the rhs doesnt match up with the bolt hole on the frame. Its a matter of 5 mm or so, - worth , I think , further investigation (the lhs and All other mounts are fine).
As I've never pulled a ducati apart (and certainly cannot afford to pay someone else to) does anyone have any tips or guidelines to follow ? - I have the service manual but am left with the impression that this assumes prior knowledge.
Things I would like to know about are the necessary tools and if anyone has them (or could find them ) frame measurements , particularly from the swingarm pivot backwards (the manual is of little help here too).
I know it'll probably take a jig to be certain , but I'm not sure who in the UK may have one. The local Ducati dealers are , as always of little help (bar that of the horrendously expensive kind).
TIA
Wayne
Old 16-Jul-2003, 10:40
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Wayned, don't get yourself in too much of a lather about it mate. the left handside panel on my ST4S doesn't line up either by about the same amount-and that bike I have owned from new and it's never been crashed-well not hard anyway.

John
Old 16-Jul-2003, 12:46
Mille

Mood: Xstatic
...Yep and mine mate!
one way to do a quick check is to put some water on the ground , roll the bike throught the water the rear should track over the front tyre mark left by the water not to the side ...obviously only a guide but if it tracks it 's not bent
Old 16-Jul-2003, 15:40
Mille

Mood: Back on the bike
and mine does not line up either..........
and seems to make no difference to
nought
Old 17-Jul-2003, 11:50
Montjuic

Well , if thats the case I wont worry.
The bike (and me) were hit square on from the side by a car (which was written off), bike landed on its nose.
It does track - so I'm impressed by the strength of these frames.
Old 30-Jul-2003, 11:15
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

It's the old 888 frame design by all accounts, they had to make them strong for Fallappa to crash on!!.