Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 16-Sep-2003, 05:01
Bikes: Multistrada 1200S, ST4s

MY2004 Ducatis, inc. 749R & ST3

I've just been trawling around the Ducati MY2004 web site. Highlights in brief below, and pictures (courtesy of Ducai SpA) at http://www.ducati.info/gallery/MY2004/ - the ducati site itself is still largely password protected.

- Superbike: http://www.ducati.com/bikes/my2004/superbike.jhtml

749R - 116bhp, 80Nm torque. Ohlins forks and shock, radial brakes 18.3l tank, slipper clutch. This looks like the business.

999/999S/999R/749/749s appear, at first glance, to be unchanged.

- Sporttouring: http://www.ducati.com/bikes/my2004/sporttouring.jhtml

ST2 & ST4 no longer listed.

ST3: 992cc, 3v/cylinder 102bhp, 93Nm torque, Showa forks, Sachs shock. (web site says 4v engine, but pics clearly show 3v head.

ST3/4/4abs all have new top fairing & instruments including remote headlight adjustment.

BBG is no longer a colour option

- Monster: http://www.ducati.com/bikes/my2004/monster.jhtml

S4 dropped, range is now S4R, 1000, 800, 620. Can't see any significant changes

- Supersport: http://www.ducati.com/bikes/my2004/supersport.jhtml

Only 1000 and 800 are listed.

cheers

Richard
Old 16-Sep-2003, 10:01
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Oooohh

Looks better than the MCN spy shots doesn't it? But quite Japanese as well. A couple of projector lights in there would have looked really cool but probably too indistinct (after all they'd want the 999 to be instantly recognised wouldn't they)

Shot from the side, the only change seems to be the top fairing, although the headlight carrier is probably different as well.

Amd this is quite spooky. Just the other day I had in my head that what the handlebars needed was a pair of reverse clip ons so that they were adjustable for height and lateral angle, with the handlebar as just a straight tube held in clamps at the top so that it would be a doddle to replace after a spill, and with a 'billet' look cut out would be just the thing. Look at the ST4S bars on it's 'home page' and there you have what has been in my head!

[Edited on 16-9-2003 by Jools]
Old 17-Sep-2003, 13:34
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
And the good news is that, according to the reports in the comic, all the bits that you might want to update your existing ST2 including quote "A range of cylinder heads has been designed to [pep up the old two-valve motors and] fit onto existing bottom ends and barrels with even the intake and exhausts in an identical position".

Bits that interest me include the new 3 valve cylinder heads, the redesigned seat (to stop Mrs Jools slipping forward) and they look like straight bolt-ons then. Shouldn't be too long before they start appearing at a breakers near you.

Jury is still out on the top fairing. From the piccy on P16 of MCN it looks like they've done a 'cut & shut' job on a 916 type fairing and added Honda lights, I might be tempted to buy a 916 style nosecone and a pack of fibreglass and have a crack at doing something like that meself (except with a couple of projector lights either side by side or stacked), but if i change my mind the new nosecone should just bolt straight on as well (a bit high though isn't it - shudders at the thought of Rickman fairings)

[Edited on 17-9-2003 by Jools]
Old 17-Sep-2003, 17:03
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
I have it on good authority (Sam Mathews, who designed it) that the top fairing is a straight bolt on job. You will need the new headlight and mounting, and the new indicators. The handlebar change is optional, you won't however be able to use the new instruments without changing your ECU, wiring, and speedo drive since it is now electronic and run from a rear wheel sensor.
I have to say I like the new style and am very glad that the 'spy shots' in the comic were as usual a load of bullocks, especially glad they didn't go for the 'faired in panniers' yuck!
The ST3 could be a VERY interesting bike if it manages to keep the 2 valve type midrange but with the ST4 topend, should make it a very useable and quick road bike. I may well look at the fairing upgrade for my ST4S depending on cost-why buy a new bike when a quick top fairing change gives you the same thing?

John
Old 18-Sep-2003, 01:07
Montjuic

Why did they release this now .. after I've just replaced crash damaged : headlight, clocks and nose fairing (the looks of which I'm none too keen on ).. THANK YOU DUCATI THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!!

GRUMBLE GRUMBLE