Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 21-Apr-2006, 21:36
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by Redruth
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Wood
I'm happy to offer the #10 bike up on the DSC trackday in Cadwell for demos etc.

Total value £1500-2000 I reckon and you would struggle to write one off if you were just giving it a run out.

If price is putting people off then an honest chat with any DD racer will give you the good news, it's cheaper than you think.

Our bike cost £2000 total to buy and prep for last season's racing!, this year, total of £150 on the bike and £400 on trackdays got me to Cadwell.

ANYONE and EVERYONE should at least think about it, logically and irrationally it's just great!!!

Wow, that's well cheap! BARGAIN ...

But how much does it cost to buy some racing nerve???

That's priceless
Old 21-Apr-2006, 22:12
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
My DD bike will be available at the Cadwell track day for anyone looking to give it a go.

That's if I get that far through the season.

you will have to try to stay on the grass as much as possible though as it prefers the grass there or is that just me.

I will be starting my third race at Brands in the 620 Gucci class. Although I may not have a years racing under my belt I am in there and you got to be in it to win it and find out were you stand. I have learnt that track days are nothing like racing. You have to start racing rather than just ride fast.

I Still can't believe I am racing but got to say it is some sort of buzz when that light goes out

Thanks to Ant Ali Dom TP Rattler and Dicky all encouraging me to have a go. Thanks espesaly to Ali for helping me make the final decision. GWS fella

If you think you would like to ride the bike let me know.

Old 21-Apr-2006, 22:20
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: 900,900,851,750,750,750, 600,600,450,350,350,250
You dont need anything special to race except the desire to have a go while you still can.

I am definitely not fast, but I have such terrific fun racing within my limits that it would really mess with my life if I couldnt do it.
Having been to numerous meetings now, Sue has even considered having a go, because racing is even safer than a track day, but the one thing that puts her off is the pressure to get everything right at the right time.
That is really the biggest negative - you have to be ready to perform on demand - but it is possibly responsible for the height of the buzz youget too.

So, the moral is ... have a go while you can.
This is the cheapest, most accessible, most responsible series running.
You *will*beat yourself up in a few years time if you dont.

(What will I be doing on monday evening ? Prepping my classic race bikes ready for next weekend at lydden, then the weekend after at oulton. Will I win anything ? Who cares !)
Old 21-Apr-2006, 23:10
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
I can imagine the excitement of participating but also I can imagine what may stop someone

1. Cost....£2000 for a second bike is a lot of money for many of us + travel + cost of trailer or hire of van and travelling race entry expenses.

2. Lack of time to prep the bike and travel to tracks and race.

3.Fear of falling off and getting injured and possible loss of wages / job as a result.

Fear of falling off and wrecking £2000 worth of investment.

And lastly but probably most importantly....Fear of making an absolutely humiliating idiot of yourself in front of loads of other people.
Old 21-Apr-2006, 23:12
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
Quote:
Originally posted by philthy
And lastly but probably most importantly....Fear of making an absolutely humiliating idiot of yourself in front of loads of other people.

i wouldnt worry about that, some idiot even went on the first light at cadwell when it was only meant to be for the hornets to start **ahem**
Old 21-Apr-2006, 23:13
500SD

Mood: Out with the grey....in with the satin black
Excellent post this & paticularly interesting for me as I was teetering on the edge of joining in this year!

I was lucky enough to have a go of Tonio's 620ss for one of the sessions at the Brands TA(?) last Oct. I couldn't believe how much fun a bike with so little power could be & how quick it could lap. I felt like I was taking it easy, but my lap times would have been quite competitive. I'm sure you'll get a few people hooked if they get a test-ride on a DD bike.

As I had reached a point where I was a bit bored with trackdays (feel like I'm just plodding around), I thought a bit of competition might be the edge I needed. I went home & started doing some sums.....which brings me to exactly why I didn't sign up. The only way I could afford it would be for me to sell my road bike & that simply isn't an option as I still really enjoy riding on the road, trips abroad, etc.

As I couldn't afford a season of DD, I decided to continue to look for another form of competition. So this year, I've decided to not do any trackdays at all & I've bought myself a 2-stroke KTM & I've been doing some enduro racing. It's great fun, but given the choice, I think I'd rather race DD.

For me, the only reason for not entering DD was lack of funds. From the outside looking in, it looks a great race series. Enjoy!
Old 21-Apr-2006, 23:24
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
Quote:
Originally posted by dickieducati
Quote:

i wouldnt worry about that, some idiot even went on the first light at cadwell when it was only meant to be for the hornets to start **ahem**

What would a **** like that look like

you can't say I wasn't ready for me first go though can you

I can do it blindfold as well you know
Old 21-Apr-2006, 23:25
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
Quote:
Originally posted by Wylie1

As I couldn't afford a season of DD, I decided to continue to look for another form of competition. So this year, I've decided to not do any trackdays at all & I've bought myself a 2-stroke KTM & I've been doing some enduro racing. It's great fun, but given the choice, I think I'd rather race DD.

For me, the only reason for not entering DD was lack of funds. From the outside looking in, it looks a great race series. Enjoy!

would you consider sharing a bike with another rider?
Old 21-Apr-2006, 23:51
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

What about asking Ducati UK if they will hand over their Multi Stroodle for the Track Attacks this year.

That's 18 different people a day that can try it out.

Just a thought
Old 22-Apr-2006, 09:20
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by dickieducati
Quote:

and we have that clearly on film too:P

will have some bikes at the Cadwell trackday but not sure which ones yet as hoping the 851 might be ready then, but will try & sort out at least one for 'testing'