Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 13-Jan-2009, 16:25
Mille

Mood: elated
surely the point is to have them ready now so we can be practising on them in the season build up, and not to be presented with a new integer in the equation that is your bike set up just prior to the first meeting? why are we using pirelli's? What do the riders and the series get from pirelli other than a sticker?
Old 13-Jan-2009, 17:24
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossco572
why are we using pirelli's? What do the riders and the series get from pirelli other than a sticker?

I got 2 stickers!
Old 13-Jan-2009, 17:43
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossco572
surely the point is to have them ready now so we can be practising on them in the season build up, and not to be presented with a new integer in the equation that is your bike set up just prior to the first meeting? why are we using pirelli's? What do the riders and the series get from pirelli other than a sticker?

If you want to lose the will to live, do a search for all the other threads on "Tyres" and "DesmoDue" !!!

in short, and in no particular order, back in 2005 Pirelli under-wrote the Diablos (and presumably now the Rossos) as being suitable for racing our bikes on. No other manufacturer was prepared to do so at the time, although they may now, given that we will buy a couple of hundred tyres a year?

If you can get to lap record times on Diablos, then it might be worth trying Rossos to see if they offer any improvement, especially on a February trackday.

As I've always understood it, tyres COULD be bought from anywhere, it was just that Holbeach were able to offer a good price.

The point in my case being that I can get tyres supplied and fitted locally, at a time that suits me for not much more that a pair of tyres shipped from Holbeach that I then have to collect from a depot when I've missed the courier and then still have to pay someone to fit them...

And the sticker is handy for hiding gouges in the bellypan

PAul

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer
Old 13-Jan-2009, 18:35
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by paynep
And the sticker is handy for hiding gouges in the bellypan

Just how many stickers did you get Paul?
Old 13-Jan-2009, 21:14
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBs996
Just how many stickers did you get Paul?

Enough to keep the oil in. Or out.

Are you running the black beast in '09, or have you grown up?

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer
Old 17-Jan-2009, 18:58
Mille

Apparently Pirelli supply the plastic cups at a cost of £1400 for the season, THATS what the series gets out of Pirelli......
Old 19-Jan-2009, 13:34
Mille

Mood: elated
that's a f**k**g lot of plastic cups!!! Nice ceramics with a pirelli loga for each entry would be a lot cheaper!! Use it to refill my oil with!
Old 19-Jan-2009, 15:40
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Looks like Paynep has covered it above

Pirelli sign a letter of agreement stating that the tyres in the DD regulations are suitable for the use that we put them to. And as Paul mentioned no other company was prepared to sign one based on a one tyre rule for both wet and dry
In the first year of DD 2005 we didn't find out what make of tyre we were using until Feb 15th so anybody that had managed to sort their bike out by then had to use what ever they had to hand for practice.

So far we have had 4 successful seasons on Pirelli, shame we don't still get a set or two to give away as prizes at each meeting as we did in 2005, but then I'm not suprised considering the amount of posts that went up questioning why we were using Pirellis during the end of the 2005 season and the start of the 2006 season.

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 19-Jan-2009, 17:39
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Last years trophies were not cheap plastic things, they were excellent quality proper metal ones... I know this!
Old 19-Jan-2009, 18:17
500SD

Mood: ready to race
[quote=NBs996]Last years trophies were not cheap plastic things, they were excellent quality proper metal ones... I know this!

i second that there quolity its funny how people who dident get any seem to moan about them pirreli diablos are awsome tyres i wouldent race on out else speacialy in the wet .