Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 11-Sep-2005, 18:26
500SD

Help! Alternator light\'s on..

Just got home from an 80ml run on my SP. No problems at all, and the bike ran just great. However, as I pulled up onto the drive, I noticed the alternator light was on. Revving the engine above 2000rpm would put it out, but the light returned on tick-over.

The battery is a good un, and was only charged a week ago - so I don't suspect that to have a problem. Before I strip anything down, can anyone suggest the likely culprit? (Rectifier..?)

Lest it makes any difference to the diagnosis, I should add that I bump started the bike twice whilst out and about. I tend to do this as a matter of course, to save me draining the battery with too many button starts. (The alternator on the SP is only 300w you see. Keeps me fit anyway!!)

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-Sep-2005, 19:22
GTL

Mood: I want to come home ::(:but then
I had the same problem with my 851. Took it to my dealer and he just disconected the light. Said that this is a common fault. After about 6 month though the battery kept on going dead on me. Answer: fit a 916 rectifier. Never had a problem since
Old 12-Sep-2005, 00:06
Mille

Mood: Privileged ...
Original or Shindengen model ???

The reliability of the second is perfect.
Moreover, the light on the dashboard is definitively out of work, cause of wiring kit provided with ...

Here are basic drawings, explicit enough to check by yourself ...
Hope it will help you ...
Old 12-Sep-2005, 00:59
500SD

Cheers guys

I'm not sure what regulator it has on it - I suspect it will be the original. I'll have a look at it during the week some time.

Maybe I'll check the fuel filter/pump too, since it's the only ever-present load on the alternator. I've a feeling it's struggling a little, since it doesn't sound as lively as the one on the Strada when priming.

Phil - Your drawing is (ahem!) as clear as mud. The strange thing is, I think I understand it!! Ta.

Steve
Old 12-Sep-2005, 04:41
Mille

The electrex fault finding chart is very good.

https://www.electrosport.com/electro...t_finding.html

Mike
Old 12-Sep-2005, 07:36
Mille

Mood: Privileged ...
Weeveetwin wrote :

"""Phil - Your drawing is (ahem!) as clear as mud. The strange thing is, I think I understand it!! """

Thanks a lot for the compliment ... I guess throughout your words that you wish a full written and understandable document ... in French language !!!

Old 18-Sep-2005, 09:31
Mille

Mood: sensational!!
also check the alternator charging wires, it's common for the two wires to melt together at the connection. trace it from where the wires come out of the front of the alternator cover and up the L.H.S of the bike, they are often ziptied too tight at the connection point to the frame.
hope it helps, cheers

paul.