Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 27-Oct-2004, 11:18
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Boys & Girls,

I have just been on to the thread with the finalised rules on it and seen that it has been downloaded 40 times now! This is very encouraging and because of this I assume that we should be seeing some completed entry forms through the post in the not to distant future.

Could I ask you to indicate your interest, so that I can have an idea of numbers, for the further conversations we are having with the ACU, etc.

Chris
Old 07-Nov-2004, 23:35
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
i am interested but very confused by the above posts

i would be interested but on a very low budget so all the talk of mods is a bit off putting especially as the bike will go to my missus when ive finished racing it.

ive only ever done 2 track schools but feel confident enough to enter if only for a laugh and the experience. my mates agreed to be my spanner man and provide me with his bike trailer

whats the cost of entering the championship and cost of each round

are we able to get a good deal on the tyres as we'll have 25+ bikes on the grid

how difficult is it to get a acu licence

any sensible costs and advice appreciated

chris you have a u2u too

cheers

dave
Old 11-Nov-2004, 17:27
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Just a quick note to all those who think they need to spend a ton of money to be quick...

Once you can ride the monster like that, you can spend money on go faster bits. Hey, maybe this should be another rule for Desmodue racing. But then again, if you can ride like that, you'll probably be winning already.: WeeJohnyB will know what I am on about.
Old 11-Nov-2004, 17:58
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Felix, you have NO idea how long it took me to STOP him riding the TZ like that. It's been interesting this year to see WJB's style change from the outlandish but very effective style needed to hussle a CB500 round a track into the much more tucked in style needed for a GP bike. Interesting thing is he now seems to be able to switch from one to the other, race the TZ, come back in and jump on the CB500 and race that.

John
Old 14-Nov-2004, 23:15
Ducati Corse

How are things going with this? Got a 600 Monster we might be looking to sell you see!
Old 14-Nov-2004, 23:47
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
yes, very flattering and all, I've got a few piccies like the one above, but I've got a LONG way to go before I'm quick on the TZ and funnily enough, swapping bikes has lost me my edge on the CB5. I can still hoon it round the track, but the tenth here and there that keeps you ahead of the guy two inches from your handlebars has momentarily gone.

I can never explain what it is, but I cannot ride ANY bike to the insane level that I can ride a CB5. I wish I had the magic trick, cause I'd be bleedin rapid if I could.....and that's not me blowing my own trumpet, anyone that's had a go of my CB5 (and that's loads of peeps) agree that for some unknown reason, that nobody I've ever met can fathom out, you can brake later, carry more corner speed and get on the gas quicker than anything else I've ever ridden. All from 49.5 bhp, road tyres, a single disc and bongy bongy suspension. Fabulous....makes me smile even typing this.

I'm guessing having ridden a Monster around Mallory that anyone racing one of these will have a similar experience. CB5 racing is like two wheeled dodgems, which is quite unlike racing the TZ or the 600's races that I've raced in. There is a 'given' that you are totally nuts and agree when you go on the grid that it is acceptable to shunt someone off, or be shunted.

I've said it before and you're all totally bored of it by now, but I watched the CB5's race at Snetterton when Monty and I were on the TZ and the paying punter standing next to me at Russells chicane said to his son when asked which bike was racing next, "it's the best race of the day, it's the nutters on the CB5's". Funny, I watched a few other races at Russells and it was all quite polite, until the CB5's came on and it was total mayhem and carnage, just hilarious to watch. It can still get you me round in 1.25 and last years championship winner did a 1.23.

I really think some of the magic is down to it being a 'one make' series and it's why I've been so vocal about not allowing too many mods for Desmo Due. Keep it simple, let the rider do the talking and we'll (you'll) have some fabulous racing and great memories.

Speaking to Monty today on the BHC rideout, I do feel like it's time to move on, although, I'll still do the odd race on the CB5 and probably never sell it. I love it.

Let's hope that Monster racing gets off the ground, cause I think the racers will get a similar feeling from it.

WeeJohnyB
Old 14-Nov-2004, 23:56
Ducati Corse

I was watching the CB5's from the pit wall at Donnington a few weeks back. Two of the riders were punching each other as they were going down the start finish straight! Several others were using the shoulder barge technique as well!!

Class.
Old 15-Nov-2004, 00:01
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
yep, that's CB5 racing, pure class, excellent sportsmanship, thanks for making me

WeeJohnyB